PvP/PVE ship UI/UX design FeedBack

BlackFalcon375

Good afternoon, NQ!

I have great feedback for you about your ship control interface in both pvp and pve. Maybe your interface designer will make the interface nominally for people. or read a book on designing game interfaces on the ergonomics of player decision making. Or he will play what he did and see what he has done himself. Or have a look at the interfaces of the games of the space genre. will understand a lot for himself. And also give a little feedback on your gameplay mechanics current in the pvp game.

In normal companies, feedback from people pointing to problems in the game who play your product on a daily basis has a bearing on the development or planning of the company's patches, because this is the way to the success of the product. Many books have been written about this too. I think your founders are smart people and understand this.

And so we went.

1. PAIN! - Do you think normally when the player's screen is covered with blocks of yours (widgets) to pilot the ship? Do you justify this by saying that it is better to put some kind of custom lago script that heavily loads the CPU? I don’t think so, please make a normal default HUD for players according to the rules of space game design. I do not deny that scripts are bad, but still. I don't want to use 3rd party scripts. the game should provide me with the basic correct script, which was made by a professional in his field.

2. PAIN! - Do you really think that your combat interface in pvp control from a gunner chair is convenient? This is not so, because every action in battle requires you to focus on mouse clicks. everywhere and everything. players with 2 hands we have a keyboard ... Please make it possible to select targets or switch them on the keyboard buttons. The choice of weapons is also on the keyboard, cannon COOLDOWN. I do not believe that this cannot be done adequately with the participation of the keyboard, and not just one mouse. In all games, you can keybind the control of weapons and targets. Please do not disgrace it is terribly inconvenient to click on the monitor in this awful interface, losing the focus of sight from piloting.

Thank you for the attention! I hope my review will improve the game at least a little.

Add some examples for that the UI should look like because it sounds a little vague to me. Some script UI's aren't that bad. I know from scripting it's just a limitation on time, implementation and probably performance. I think if you gave some inspiration of what something could look like it would help more. I find designing stuff is the most difficult part when you have to come up with something unique. You need inspiration from something.

If a developer needs help testing ideas or proposing ideas. can they contact me I do not mind. help. It is pointless to discuss and show here, since there is a topic for raising the problem and leaving feedback.

I hope professionals work in NQ and they will understand my pain and many others. and from games that are similar in spirit and theme (Space Engeneers, Empyrion Galactic Survival, Star Conflict, Dreadnought, EVE ....)

Hey,

It's cool to share your urges for change and I think they are valid, but allow me to state my opinion on this as well.

These 2 vanilla interfaces have worked so far. While they might not be the best thing in the game, they do exist and work.

For that of vanilla piloting, you said it, they can be personalized. Our organisation uses scripts for different specialized needs and also still uses the vanilla interface extensively.
We do not want development time to be used for this kind of modification at this time.

What works should be left as it is, players want something new and not redesigns of what exists.

I will also say the same for the gunner chair. Even if it's not good, it works. We would like more PvP content before a change like this occurs.
Addition of advanced shield management, electronic warfare and this kind of measure.
Once all of this is in play then NQ can start modifying what is wrong.
Changing the gunner chair will not make the game more interesting to play.

50 minutes ago, Knight-Sevy said:

These 2 vanilla interfaces have worked so far. While they might not be the best thing in the game, they do exist and work.

First impressions matter A LOT for keeping players interested until they get to know the game. And a streamlined convenient UX matters almost as much to keep veteran players from getting frustrated.

Last time I saw a UI as basic and cluncky as this was in Everquest...

Sand_Giant_-_EverQuest_-_1999.jpg

2 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Last time I saw a UI as basic and cluncky as this was in Everquest...

Do you think it would have improved Everquest if they had poured their development time into designing a flashy UI instead of focusing on new features and content?

1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Do you think it would have improved Everquest if they had poured their development time into designing a flashy UI instead of focusing on new features and content?

The comparison is somewhat misleading.

You can't compare a game that should have been released in 2018 and will probably be released in 2022 with one that is over 20 years old. The pioneering work of Everquest, be it world creation, what a realm is, what groups are etc were things that didn't exist back then. The UI had no real meaning back then, even colourblind mode was a foreign concept.

NQ doesn't need to reinvent the things mentioned, like knowing what groups are, guilds are.... Heck, it's even an empty sandbox game without quests and npc.... What has NQ been doing all this time since august 2020? Not much has happened this time. Well, except for a lot of people leaving and few features coming, not really. 

It may not be obvious, but the user interface is one of the most important features of a game. More so then most any other feature, since it is the glue that keeps the game together. And is the one thing that all players must use all the time.  And besides, for a game this size there must be at least one dedicated UI/UX designer. So it is not a matter of focus on other tasks, and more a matter of doing the job proper.

And if they don't have a UX designer. Well it would explain a lot..

The only place you might expect something like this in a modern game, would be in some one man indie game made during weekends.

And it is not just the UI, since most parts of the game has the same unfinished and rushed feeling. And in many ways the game feels like stepping 15+ years back in time and playing a retro game. But sadly not one of the good ones..

22 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

The comparison is somewhat misleading.

You can't compare a game that should have been released in 2018 and will probably be released in 2022 with one that is over 20 years old. The pioneering work of Everquest, be it world creation, what a realm is, what groups are etc were things that didn't exist back then. The UI had no real meaning back then, even colourblind mode was a foreign concept.

NQ doesn't need to reinvent the things mentioned, like knowing what groups are, guilds are.... Heck, it's even an empty sandbox game without quests and npc.... What has NQ been doing all this time since august 2020? Not much has happened this time. Well, except for a lot of people leaving and few features coming, not really. 

The comparison is that both games had/have a very rough simple UI.

Everquest chose to spend the next several years developing features and content, before they put time into designing a new UI.  

Do you think that was a mistake?

This is a question about what NQ needs to do moving forwards.  If you think the game should already have a better UI, cool, but it doesn't.

19 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

The comparison is that both games had/have a very rough simple UI.

Everquest chose to spend the next several years developing features and content, before they put time into designing a new UI.  

Do you think that was a mistake?

This is a question about what NQ needs to do moving forwards.  If you think the game should already have a better UI, cool, but it doesn't.

You can't just pick out UI and hide the circumstances. If I have to invent an entire system, as in my example, because the players haven't seen it yet, then a different focus has been placed here. We already complained years ago for DU, in Alpha 3 already, that the UI is static and not intuitive. Not much has happened there. Instead, we got some stone textures in the game world this year that didn't have to be there. That's why I don't understand your reasoning now. NQ has time for stone textures, but not for a UI. See WoW Vanilla 2004 - They used the invented systems of that time and built a user-friendly interface and made it suitable for the masses.

I never said it needed that. But according to you, it is not important, it is the game features. I actually expect features to come then. But overall, not much has really happened over time. The patches speak for themselves. In the end, it's just your opinion. It is not universally valid. You can see in the game which orgs and players from the past are still there. But there won't be many of them any more. Too many mistakes were made in the past for that. They can't even manage to implement the game features in a reasonable amount of time, let alone make patches in two parts and never release the second part. 

A good UI seems to be nothing more than wishful thinking today.