Core Building Zone: Flexible

Hirnsausen

Let me begin with an example:

you are placing a core, build a ship with all honeycombs and elements, and eventually recognize that while you still have building space behind the ship, you would still need some building space in front of that complex ship. Currently there is no way.

My suggestion is, to make the position of the core's Building Area flexible. Independently from the position of the core, the Building Zone should be able to be moved forwards or backwards, up or down, to the left or to the right. The shape or size of the Building Zone would never change.

So, in the case of my given example above, I would probably make a right-click on the core while in Build Mode, and select to move the Building Zone (repositioning). And then I would just move that zone, like any element, with the arrow buttons. A bit of what i had in excess to the back of the ship, I have now made available to the front of the ship.

I get it myself, you could make it so that you can zoom out and pull  on one of the sides. IE

-If I pull OUT the left or right sides to extend X number of voxels, it would pull IN on the front/left in a near equal amount.

-So instead of a CUBE, I now have a BOX that is longer. You can fit engines into different designs based on what your looking at. In some ways ships would get BIGGER in one direction though made technically smaller in another.

• 2 weeks later...

A ship's core can be moved within the build area using the move element tool in build mode.

The ability to shift an entire build volume around to help adjust the locations of everything (say, because you built too far to one side or the other and want to center the construct in the volume again) would be a nice feature to include.

As I recall, the game engine does not like non-round numbers (relative to what it thinks are round), so changing the shape of the build-box on the fly such as to poses different lengths and heights and widths while maintaining volume would be tricky (though nice to have). It also has a hard time with single-core dynamic constructs above L size. It would perhaps be simpler to just have cores with alternate geometries to start (such as a "long XS" that is really just a lower cost and smaller S that has its build volume reduced).

If non-round numbers are a problem, all changed would then be applied only after all new measurements are again round numbers, that might be the trick to solve the (interesting) problem you have pointed out. I did not even know such problem exists. Maybe something like a dialog box with three text input fields, that can be saved only if the condition of all round numbers is met again.

NQ seems to have responded to this request dozens of times.
No, their game architecture does not allow them to make construction boxes other than square.
End of the debates.

In addition it was planned at one time to have larger boxes (at least XL) but there are already problems of loading the elements of your vessel when it exceeds 100m. The XL cores may arrive someday, but they have so much else to do before they are better off.