Loot / PVE

RugesV

Trying to figure out where to start this. Do I start with the loot or the PVE aspect.  Because they are really dependant upon each other.  I suppose we should start with the PVE aspect of the game because its simple and clear. 

I know we are not getting fully fledged AI ships going around anytime soon.  Nor are we getting monsters to go shoot / hack at anytime soon.  However we should be able to get  emplaced defenses. IE an AI space station. that has automated turrets that fire at anything that goes near them.  This should be something very easy to do.  Heck players have practically created scripts  that already do this. 

Why would people go to these sites? for the loot of course.

So what kind of loot can we get ingame. Well the simple stuff like ore, elements, consumables, data items, elements, materials, parts.  Maybe even including exclusive rare and exotic's that can only be gotten at these sites. 

And that type of loot is all fine and dandy. But you need the type of loot that make people going out to raid for. You know the mythical sword of +10 magic damage, or the cloak of unseen. Now how do you translate that to a space game?  Modules.

Lots and lots of modules. The more module slots the better. Everything should have a module slot. From factory assembly machines. to fuel tanks, to engines, to weapons.  Slap that +10 damage module into your gun for increased damage. or +10 to range for increased range.  Add in a -10% to factory speed module to an assembly line to produce items faster. Or one that consumes or produces more materials or parts. 

Heck maybe the machines / elements that take modules can only be gotten from these sites.  Have these sites in PVP space. Require them to be scanned down. and once they are attacked they send out an alert that announces to everyone that the site is under attack which creates PVP encounters. 

These things put together create a system where players want to go out and explore, they want to go out and PVP. 

This makes me think of something akin to asteroids, where random stations appear with some kind of lore built into them and RNG based loot containers. Maybe even have the loot not be available for crafting, like some... ahem... Uber variant of an engine or weapon or SOMETHING that gives a bonus.

Yea asteroids where exactly what I was thinking when I thought about this.  Since they already have a system inplace to spawn asteroids. Spawning some random structure should not be too hard to integrate. 

• 1 month later...