Concern about the future of the game

shadowfyre2

I'm sharing my thoughts with @Atmosph3rik that the introduction of Asteroids are a preshot of future gameplay and is subject to change over time. So for now, lets swallow the fact that Asteroids are for well organized PVP groups for the moment. Lets wait for the fair "balance" which hopefully will come soon. 

21 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

and all others would go play starbase

All others would go play Starbase because the state of the MMORPG genre has since been sh*t. You and I have been one of the earliest follower of this game and I remember that we had a discussion about the genre (particularly traditional MMORPGs) back then. You and I share the same preference when it comes to game-design and we love similar games. 

Starbase has way better building fundamentals than DU as it is simple enough to be playable and can be made more advanced through systemization, but DU has a very complicated building fundamentals that offer more freedom of creativity but it's not worth it. What these games are feasibly capable of delivering are building games in an MMO sim. You add mining to it, you add crafting to it, you add PVP to it, it is still an MMO sim as they designed it to be fully player-driven. An RPG has in-game RPG contents which these games have none! These games are the very definition of a purely sandbox. A sim, at the end of the day, is just a sim, it has no gameplay-loop because RPG contents are absent. Runescape works because it has RPG contents to support a gameplay-loop. 

The traditional MMORPGs that we played back then all work. These purely sandbox MMO sims however are unproven innovative concepts. Tell me, do they work gameplay-wise? It's missing an essential recipe! The essence of life is survival. You don't even have that mechanics in the game, and you expect to replicate that kind of world at a somewhat more simplified level? The essence of MMORPGs is RPG progression. You can't find any purpose on a world that has no essence. Someone gives you an empty bucket and tells you to find something in it, what can you possibly find in the bucket? You are gonna tell me that it is us who should search for purpose? When the bucket is empty, you will find nothing! It's a nihilistic game! I want people here to tell me if this concept even works! Does a 100% sandbox MMO sim work? You will get nothing out of it but building for the essence of aesthetics and a platform for socialization. That's all you will get in games like DU and Starbase! They are innovative ambitious online games, but in the end, they fall short in delivery! They failed to do sufficient feasibility research and planning, and so what you ended up with is something unrealistic that doesn't work!

Starbase is the better building/socialization MMO sim than DU, and so people will just go there until something good happen to the MMORPG genre. To me, Starbase is not satisfactory! It's a filler game to what is currently a garbage genre!

The games that we played back then all work, remember that! Tell me if you are getting the same experience here and in Starbase? Tell me if they can even pass the quality standard of the genre? They are much worse than Bless Online that Aeria Games back then rejected. I played Bless and I can tell you that it's better than this game and Starbase!

There is a lot of better and proven available options in the market that passes quality standard than this game and Starbase which are experimental! Based on my own assessment right now, I don't think DU and Starbase has any potential. 

Let's apply some realistic thinking! Even I myself didn't see this before, and I backed the game and joined the hype train, but I'm living in the future right now playing those games that don't work even in concept! We should have learned by now! They are not even gonna overhaul this game! They are not even gonna wipe out this game! They don't even have any realistic plans for the game! It's doomed!

41 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

Nothing to add

But I have more to add:

You can't make the game exclusively for the hardcores, only the hardcores will play it! You make the fundamentals simple enough to be playable but scalable enough to be rewarding! When they presented a demo of this game in IGN, it was an issue brought out by the interviewer but NQ remained adamant with their design. That's one of the problem with this game! And then they copied the passive skill system of Eve which is a terrible idea! So do you see now that the game is fundamentally broken and adding more contents for the sandbox isn't gonna fix it? At this point, they need to overhaul the game and learn from the mistakes of this build to fix it! 

If I'm a shareholder at NQ, I will suggest and vote to replace JC as the President. The board replaced him, that's what probably happened.

"This game is nothing like all the failed MMO clones that i've played, and not enjoyed, over the last ten years.  Why don't you make it more like those games?"

I'm sure there's someone developing another "Next-gen MMORPG first person shooter zombie sandbox battle royale, with skill-based whack-a-mole combat, and a ground breaking new progression system where you just start out with everything."

If that's what you're into

2 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

"This game is nothing like all the failed MMO clones that i've played, and not enjoyed, over the last ten years.  Why don't you make it more like those games?"

I will quote what I said from another thread because it's the same thing that I would like to say as a reply here.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:38 AM, Eternal said:

You see, you have to give enough considerations to the game-design! Aside from the tech, their proposed game-design is also not yet proven. That is why you should put them to the test and make tweaks/revisions along the way and also consider specific already-proven designs from other successful MMOs, to deliver, in the end, a good working gameplay.

You don't reinvent the wheel my son! You only replace something good with better design for specific application. When you are innovating, you are testing something different. If in the end it's not better, you don't reinvent the wheel and you use the proven design!

When was the genre good, tell me? My opinion is pre-2007 it was the best, and then the genre started to go downhill from that period. Stop playing the f*cking Eve and look at other games with proven good game-design and mechanics and use those if you have nothing better!

The thing is we came from different games, my age group is different than the majority here (I'm 27 right now), and I'm Asian which is culturally different even in gaming, all of which influenced my personal preferences in MMORPGs. MMORPGs by the way is the most popular in Asia (even today) than anywhere in the world which is why most of them is developed from there. To tell you more about our culture, we are very clingy when we socialize online. You never played in an Asian server because of language barrier and residence but to tell you about my experience, it is more social than playing in a Western server because of the culture of our community and larger playerbase than in a Western server (as MMORPGs are niche in the West but the most popular in the East, until it was overtaken). We also prefer something that is visually beautiful, that is why our developers put a lot of effort in the art design and I think you can notice this. There is a demographic difference which accounts for the difference of preferences.

Personally I don't like World of Warcraft. I don't like Final Fantasy XIV right now because it ended up as a WoW clone. Final Fantasy XI is my favorite MMORPG of all time due to it's quality even though it was not the most popular of that time. Ragnarok Online was the most popular of that time when I was living in Korea, which by the way, is one of my all-time favorite MMORPG. Trickster Online is also like Ragnarok Online in design, so I am also fond of that game. And then there was the popular Maplestory which I played back when I was in Korea which was very good during pre-Bigbang and was one of the best experience I had. And then there is the Western browser-based Runescape, pre-3K worth limit, pre-GE, which was one of the best I played (even as of right now, it is able to retain a high population). If you played Dofus, it has a good crafting. I played a lot of MMORPGs (traditional and modern) both in Asia and in the West but what I mentioned are my favorites. I dislike WoW. When Final Fantasy XIV released, it was time-gated, it lacks content, and it was buggy. It is worse than Final Fantasy XI, lacks the content of Final Fantasy XI, but it has it's design. The game was remade from being based on Final Fantasy XI to a WoW clone which is why I dislike it. 

If you only played Eve, then you don't see what I see. There are good game-design and mechanics in these games that are worth considering as those are what made them successful in the first place. You only put something better when you got something better!

The end-goal is to design a good working gameplay that is playable for everyone!

Everything this game considered are from Eve like it's the only game you played! Eve is a PVP sim that is very much a niche ever since then! The reason it is a niche is it is not good to most people! Personally I don't like it! People like a game based on game-design and mechanics that it has and the amount of content that it has primarily.