NQ you've done it. New docking works great.

TobiwanKenobi

Brief story:

On the PTS, I took off in my shuttle, landed it on my Mcore, right clicked on the Mcore while still in my pilots seat, and clicked dock to construct. Great right? No silly maneuver tool involved. You get out of the seat and it's docked tight.

But here's the amazing part. I left Alioth in the Mcore, shuttle docked. Out in space, I entered the pilots seat of my shuttle while the Mcore was still moving at 5000kmh. I fully expected for both ships to explode. They didn't.

The shuttle was teleported just outside the Mcore's docking sphere, behind it, our speeds matched, both ships still moving. I was able to maneuver around, accelerate, brake, all in the vicinity of the Mcore, with both ships traveling at 5000kmh, just as you would expect from real life physics. There was no jitter or teleporting.

So I decided to try to re-dock to the Mcore again, fully expecting explosions. As I approached the ship, the docking sphere lit up yellow, indicating that I was not parented. Right click on Mcore, click dock, now parented. I landed on the deck, got out of seat, and the shuttle was docked.

All while traveling at 5000kmh.

I also undocked and redocked while ORBITING ALIOTH. There was only a slight bit of jitter when I landed back on the ship. 

Screenshot of me flying formation with my unattended Mcore while orbiting Alioth.

NQ has done it. This all works way better than I anticipated. Carriers are fully viable now.

PROBLEMS:
The only problem I've experienced so far is the difficulty of getting into a docked child construct. If you jump, you might fly off the ship. If you enter build mode on the child, you might teleport off the ship. Best way I've found so far is to enter build mode on the parent and fly into the child, entering the pilot's seat while in still in build mode. This needs to be easier.

New problems:

1. I undocked from a moving parent and ended up at zero kmh. Parent left me behind instantly. Don't know why I didn't inherit the parent's velocity. MIght be because I logged off and came back while flying?

2. After docking with a moving parent, I often teleport when exiting seat - sometimes ending up inside the parent ship, sometimes getting thrown off.

3. When trying to dock with an orbiting parent, after requesting dock, my relative velocity suddenly changes and I get pushed away from the parent. I tried to dock with an orbiting parent about ten times, each time approaching the deck at a gentle speed, only to get pushed away, and not by my vertical boosters.

A nice additional feature to have would be the ability to parent children constructs while piloting an intended parent construct. Using this, we could pick up container packs or drop them.

1 hour ago, TobiwanKenobi said:

A nice additional feature to have would be the ability to parent children constructs while piloting an intended parent construct. Using this, we could pick up container packs or drop them.

Isn't that how we ended up with people stealing ships?   Could you put a remote pilot on the container construct, move tool it onto the parent, activate remote pilot and dock it?

Just now, Zeddrick said:

Isn't that how we ended up with people stealing ships?   Could you put a remote pilot on the container construct, move tool it onto the parent, activate remote pilot and dock it?

Shouldn't be possible if they don't have docking permissions.

It works great for the most part, am stoked with it- only change I'd make is not repulsing constructs of the same size(owned by the same person) makes putting ships docked near each-other a bit of a headache... also sorta breaks lining up XS ships at a start line for racing. Minus that issue, it's great :D

The jitter/teleporting from docking two ships is because the physics is being ran on two different players computers, and the physics prediction in the game is either poor or non-existent. You only had a good experience because both ships were being simulated on your computer; try docking to a ship someone else is flying.

18 hours ago, TobiwanKenobi said:

PROBLEMS:
The only problem I've experienced so far is the difficulty of getting into a docked child construct. If you jump, you might fly off the ship. If you enter build mode on the child, you might teleport off the ship. Best way I've found so far is to enter build mode on the parent and fly into the child, entering the pilot's seat while in still in build mode. This needs to be easier

Can you not just use your jetpack to get from parent to child?