why is sub required to try the game?

jim_0

When you start the game, you get free stuff to get you started.  If it was possible to make new accounts without paying anything, people would abuse it to get more free stuff.

You can always watch someone playing the game on Twitch if you want to check it out before you pay.

18 hours ago, jim_0 said:

i would like to try the game, i dont want to use money on it just to try it

i get its only 20 bucks, but every game wants money and i havent enjoyed many of them lately

The active subscriptions are allowed to claim tiles, large area of planets (if they can afford) and this mechanic can be abused by f2p account or non active players. In order to claim areas you need to play quite sometime. Nobody wants full player owned planets before release :D

18 hours ago, jim_0 said:

i would like to try the game, i dont want to use money on it just to try it

i get its only 20 bucks, but every game wants money and i havent enjoyed many of them lately

The above, and read the forums and get an impression. If you have a high pain threshold (masochism-level), lots of patience and time, are forgiving and can bear to see a snail crossing a razorblade, then it is already time to try the game. if Ur not so much for alpha/beta/EA mambojambo then wait another 2 years and see if du is still around. Or ask someone with Alts to borrow one

1 minute ago, Elitez said:

The active subscriptions are allowed to claim tiles, large area of planets (if they can afford) and this mechanic can be abused by f2p account or non active players. In order to claim areas you need to play quite sometime. Nobody wants full player owned planets before release :D

Isn't it more like NQ doesn't care or isn't able to remove long-term inactive property and constructs? If they did so, there would be no problem with test accs besides not grabbing Dollars.

22 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

Isn't it more like NQ doesn't care or isn't able to remove long-term inactive property and constructs? If they did so, there would be no problem with test accs besides not grabbing Dollars.

We will be getting there soon with:

Inactive subs tiles removed > anywhere near release
Taxes per tiles -> Negative balance > Tile is wiped and constructs packed and sent to owner in inv.

There are ways to clear the planets but at the end of the day at release its easier to create another system with more hostile environment and keep this one as newbie area aka safe zone area :D

On 8/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, Atmosph3rik said:

When you start the game, you get free stuff to get you started.  If it was possible to make new accounts without paying anything, people would abuse it to get more free stuff.

They actualy done it anyway, expoliting shit out of game like forever, enjoying total NQ neglegence, by running tutorial repetition in scripted sequence on 2nd/3rd PC. Billions was made such way.

Not sure if it was even fixed.

So argument kinda ironic.

5 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Oh nooos the playing field isn't level, someone has more stuff then me.  Burn it all down and cancel the game!

I don't think that that is what he meant. As far as I understand it he said that exploits or possibilities to exploit aren't an argument not to grant test accounts to attract players

1 hour ago, DrDerp said:

I don't think that that is what he meant. As far as I understand it he said that exploits or possibilities to exploit aren't an argument not to grant test accounts to attract players

Why would NQ failing to prevent an exploit in the past, mean they shouldn't try to prevent another one in the future?

There's no logic to that.  It's just spite.

6 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Why would NQ failing to prevent an exploit in the past, mean they shouldn't try to prevent another one in the future?

Because NQ has shown a structural tendency to not "fix" damage caused by exploits and has pretty much every time just closed the loophole (or better yet, carpet bomb the issue, causing significant impact for the game as a whole) and moved on without removing the gains from exploits. This started the day the game wiped the week before beta started. Many players jumped ahead weeks, if not months within the first hours of the game "starting fresh". Players have gained advantages from exploit that will last them years. 

I understand you may want to choose to believe they will change, but NQ have not shown anything that would lead one to expect this will happen sometime in the future.

10 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

I understand you may want to choose to believe they will change

I'm not here to believe anything lol

I'm just here to talk about what they should do.

Maybe talk about what they did wrong.

But i don't really see any point in guessing that they're going to make the wrong decision, just so i can pat myself on the back afterwards for being right.

Seems like a waste of time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 3:07 PM, DrDerp said:

Guess what? we did it :) they are removing constructs from market :)

1 hour ago, Jeantvgaming said:

And I am sad to say it but the sub wall is this game downfall. 

People said the same thing about Eve-Online. Anyways once the game is actually released you could sub with DACs if you make enough quanta.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:02 PM, DrDerp said:

The above, and read the forums and get an impression. If you have a high pain threshold (masochism-level), lots of patience and time, are forgiving and can bear to see a snail crossing a razorblade, then it is already time to try the game. if Ur not so much for alpha/beta/EA mambojambo then wait another 2 years and see if du is still around. Or ask someone with Alts to borrow one

Dont take this forum as a yard stick.  50% of posters quit the game some time ago and are just here throwing salt around "I dont like it, so noone else should" mentality.  The truth is that the game has improved a LOT in the last 3-6 months and progress seems to be improving.  I have just come back to play DU as my main game again (been dropping in and out for the last few months) as it finally looks like it is in a position to play.  Been doing a lot of the new content, such as roids, and they have add a lot to the game.

Personally I am happy to pay, as i see this game as a long term investment, which I want to see NQ continue to work on, if you are not happy with that, of course that is your choice.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, klobber said:

isnt Eve-Online free since some years?

In the basic idea, yes, to attract players. If you understand the structure, it is a normal p2w system.That's one of the reasons why there are so many ex-Eve players here in DU who desperately want more PvP content here. They could actually just continue to play eve.

There is really only two reasons to not have a free trail for a subscription game.

1. The game is in such high regard that it will sell well regardless

2. The developers don't feel confident enough about the game to let people try it for free.

And for NQ/DU it is also a matter of not having enough server resources to handle a free trail, which is in itself a serious problem for a MMO.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, CptLoRes said:

There is really only two reasons to not have a free trail for a subscription game.

1. The game is in such high regard that it will sell well regardless

2. The developers don't feel confident enough about the game to let people try it for free.

And for NQ/DU it is also a matter of not having enough server resources to handle a free trail, which is in itself a serious problem for a MMO.

Not true at all, a free trial could be MASSIVE exploited in this game unless you completely stripped it of functionality.  Just an extra alt to stand on a ship as a scout can make all the difference.  Dont want to be giving freebies away, it would be carnage.

Also, it is a known fact that NQ has done a lot of work recently REDUCING the server costs per player (it is almost certainly there biggest outgoing), if they let in free trial players, the company would fold lol.  Huge cost increase, zero revenue increase....... 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, Lethys said:

Du will be free to play too for ppl once DACs are a thing, same model as eve 

Yep, you buy your first pack and then if you dont want to sub, you can pay with DAC.  Once the game is live and DAC is live (presuming they come out at the same time), then you can almost buy the game with a single purchase model.

Excuse double post.... editing was beyond me tonight.