Let's talk about the new dimensions of weapons ...

Knight-Sevy

Hi,

We have been told to say when things are good, but also when things are not.

For me the last patch is a big disappointment on many points. But the most impactful is undoubtedly also the most visible.

The new weapons are a problem. Whether it is from size XS to size L, nothing is right.

The main problem is with the size of the guns in the game now, the guns are MUCH too big. Already the previous version was not the most discreet, we now have huge monstrosities to place on our ships.

Personally I found the design to be the last highlight of the game. It was the one thing that could make me proud of the game and show my friends the fantastic ships we could build and potentially play with in PvP.

Except now I'm really ashamed to show a ship with these weapons. Their new dimensions and skins spoil all the voxel work you could do ...

And let's talk about the skins, if the weapons had a modest size we could accommodate them even if they do not look like the standard expected for SCFI weapons. But really there I have the impression that we were put giant water guns or Nerf guns on our boats ...

This combination : size + skin is really terrible.

I actually like them using size and weight to limit how you can place elements. It is much better then just saying "you cannot use this L element on a S construct" when it is clear as day that the element would fit. So missing an energy system this is probably the better alternative.

It is a terrible mistake to choose to increase the size of the elements to make a limitation.

All it takes is a point counter or something like that. It's a mechanic that they could reuse for every part of a ship.

They're gonna have to do a balancing one day or another. Having L ships as mobile as an S is fine at the start of a Beta ... But it will have to end sooner or later.

Surely size increase is to stop S cores from mounting a whole bunch of L weapons, no?

now you actually are limited by size of the weapons as to what you can and can’t actually place. 

is damage commensurate with the size of the weapon? Or is it borked like ailerons’ scale lift to weight factor?

9 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Surely size increase is to stop S cores from mounting a whole bunch of L weapons, no?

now you actually are limited by size of the weapons as to what you can and can’t actually place. 

is damage commensurate with the size of the weapon? Or is it borked like ailerons’ scale lift to weight factor?

=> No, There is a "hard" limitation which prevents using an L weapon on a core other than L.

I don't understand why they didn't apply this principle to a lot of elements of the game or something like that:
XS => Element size XS / S
S => Element size XS / S / M
M => Element size XS / S / M / L
L => Element size XS / S / M / L

With a limitation of quantity or combination of element.

=> And no, before if I wanted a certain number of weapons, I put them and I had more freedom to design voxels arround.

Now I always keep the same number of weapons, but I'm going to make a cube or a shoebox.

=> Approximate exemple of DPS by gunner for cannons:
L => 40,000
M => 30,000
S => 20,000
XS => 10,000