Crash to Desktop without Crash Reporter - Stability worse, FPS better?

BlindingBright

This has been a major issue in the PTS, and now on the live server. Myself and others are having crash to desktop- without the crash reporter even opening up. These crashes happen in factories, standing still around constructs, getting into a pilot chair, while slow boating randomly.  Ironically myself and others are reporting much better FPS, and at times the game feels "Buttery" smooth, especially in space. Kudos for the FPS improvement, and the quality of life changes in 0.26!

I am worried that these issues are not going to be addressed due to the lack of crash reporter working.  My computer is using 20% CPU, 50% ram, and 25% GPU- room left on hard drive for cache- so shouldn't be a problem with specs. Likewise these issues presents themselves on GeForce now too.  On top of that, the "SAO - Sword Art Online" bug is still a thing, where you get stuck in surrogate and can't respawn/logout- or get stuck unable to logout or close DU after using VR. Detection Zones crashing the client if used in the vicinity of another dynamic core. 

TL;DR Dear NQ: Make it easy for us to get you log files to fix these problems ASAP- it makes playing the game a chore at best, headache at worst (if your flying and it happens, fun times for all!)  This should be a critical priority, and I worry this is flying under the radar due to lack of ability to report correctly.

This is also happening to me after the last update though my other computer and account do not have this problem???????Strange Tried to do something with the memory paging on my SSD's by turning off automatic paging and increasing the Amount. It did not work for me.  Every 5 minutes into the game if i go to look at something in the map shop a market or almost any action besides running around in game. Very Frustrating especially after the time invested into this game already and not being able to access it properly. I'm am in agreement no crash logs to see this happen. Seems like windows is booting me out for some reason. My specs are 128GM Ram 2 2TB HDs 16Core AMD 30 series and 3070 GTX GPU So i know there is no problem there. 

4 hours ago, BlindingBright said:

This has been a major issue in the PTS, and now on the live server. Myself and others are having crash to desktop- without the crash reporter even opening up. These crashes happen in factories, standing still around constructs, getting into a pilot chair, while slow boating randomly.  Ironically myself and others are reporting much better FPS, and at times the game feels "Buttery" smooth, especially in space. Kudos for the FPS improvement, and the quality of life changes in 0.26!

I am worried that these issues are not going to be addressed due to the lack of crash reporter working.  My computer is using 20% CPU, 50% ram, and 25% GPU- room left on hard drive for cache- so shouldn't be a problem with specs. Likewise these issues presents themselves on GeForce now too.  On top of that, the "SAO - Sword Art Online" bug is still a thing, where you get stuck in surrogate and can't respawn/logout- or get stuck unable to logout or close DU after using VR. Detection Zones crashing the client if used in the vicinity of another dynamic core. 

TL;DR Dear NQ: Make it easy for us to get you log files to fix these problems ASAP- it makes playing the game a chore at best, headache at worst (if your flying and it happens, fun times for all!)  This should be a critical priority, and I worry this is flying under the radar due to lack of ability to report correctly.

Its all part of their "Cost savings" Less players = smaller server bill

think.gif

I’m kinda relieved.

I upgraded my ram from 2 to 4 sticks recently and had some instability so I replaced all four sticks with matching ram. 

my computer had been running fine for a few days but recently started to crash in DU. I thought it could be the RAM. 

but it’s been fine in Star Citizen and Cities skylines, two other “heavy” games. 

I have an AMD 5900x. 

Hello Noveans,

If not already enabled, I recommend enabling FPS Limitation in the graphical settings and monitor if the stability improves.

We are actively looking into these issues, and would greatly appreciate support tickets for these issues with directx diagnostics.

Thank you! ?

DirectX Diagnostic instructions:

1. Press the Windows-Key + R
  2. Type "dxdiag" and press OK
  3. In the new Window, select "Save All Information..." and attach it to a the ticket.

41 minutes ago, NQ-Deckard said:

If not already enabled, I recommend enabling FPS Limitation in the graphical settings and monitor if the stability improves.

While i appreciate the work around, if shows how bad DU is in managing resources. 

How about thread control? How about CPU priority? How about resource scheduling? 

Do you think AAA games do this like DU? Just spam resources and hope the machine does bot blow up? 

I know that programing a thread control mechanism is a rare and expensive skill but this game will always be handicapped without it. 

26 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

Are you liking it? I was thinking in upgrading my amd 1800x to a 5900 (with a new board) 

Is it worth it? 

I had a 3900x  using the same X570 motherboard (Aorus Master) as I use today and moving to the 5900x has perhaps... maybe...  helped smooth things out in gaming... if you have a decent graphics card, the CPU can easily become a bottleneck...  The 3000 series is head and shoulders better than the janky 2000 series.... and is absolutely, night and day, guaranteed to give you a fantastic boost over the 1000 series. Not even any question about it.

Now the real question is: Is the 5000 series (with current elevated pricing) really worth it over the still excellent and basically current 3000 series?

I notice that the 5900x doesn't max out to 100% as often as my 3900x did... But it REALLY shines when doing production work... I'm a photographer and use DXO which is a complete dog, performance-wise... and the 5900X absolutely chews through my workloads...

But to be honest, for gaming, the 3600 and above are looking super sweet. They have much of the gaming performance of the 5 series for less than half the cost.   If you need the cores for other stuff, though, then I can SERIOUSLY recommend a 3900x CPU now that supply seems to be no longer constrained on these lower tier parts.  If you're on an even tighter budget, the 3600x-3800x are all still completely relevant for gaming and productivity.

The 5 series is like a sweet little boost to smooth out the edge cases: cherry on the top,  a somewhat premium, expensive cherry... And if I were buying now, I would get one of those cheaply priced 3900x (don't get a 3900xt, they are over priced) and put it on a mid range  X570 motherboard.

The X570 motherboards are really amazingly powerful and you can always upgrade to a 5000 series CPU at a later date... and take full advantage of any current or future PCIE4 hardware.

5 hours ago, NQ-Deckard said:

Hello Noveans,

We are actively looking into these issues, and would greatly appreciate support tickets for these issues with directx diagnostics.

Thank you! ?

3. In the new Window, select "Save All Information..." and attach it to a the ticket.

I have had FPS limitstion on, it doesn't make a difference. The princess is in another castle, sadly.  I have even changed all my settings to lowest possible, no go sadly. 

So far I've heard it has been AMD related and FPS limit may fix it.  Neither of these seam to hold true. 

I'll upload my dxdiag.(annnd done) Just FYI, everyone I've been playing with has been complaining about CTD waaaay more than before(caused a few friends to rage quit due to client crashing mid flight for multiple people).

Y'all need more than my log file to hunt this issue down and not chase false leads. You had asked the community multiple times in different places for logs to fix the invalid cell/voxel issues- this serious of a bug deserves escalation beyond that and needs to be solved ASAP before more players give up. 

Yeah.... Looking at a frozen game screen here now. Second time in less then 5 minutes of play time. No crash rapport, nothing just complete lockup.

Did not have problems with crashes like this before this version.

Edit: 3rd crash in less then 10 min. Time to do something else until there is a fix.

I set the frame rate limiter on mine and it didn't make any difference. i do however have a AMD system so I'm assuming that is the issue. I opened a ticket and uploaded needed logs.

On 8/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, NQ-Deckard said:

Hello Noveans,

Thank you! ?

solved

Lucky you. For me that did nothing.

And I kinda fail to see how a fps limit (that should be completely unnecessary other then to save power, but that is another topic) is going to help a game that is notorious for low fps performance..