DU email regarding code of conduct

Underhook

I have not played since January.

Got an email just now regarding a new code of conduct.

1) Exploiting the game through any game error or bug that gives an unintended advantage.

I'm on board with this one (above). 

2)  Promoting or sharing information regarding exploits, cheating programs, or other activities intended to give players an unfair advantage.

This one, I don't like.

I never exploit and the only way I ever know one exists is by youtubers or forum posters telling me about it.  In many cases this allows me to develop strategies to avoid the glitchers and not be their victim.  As the saying goes "sunlight is the best disinfectant".  I'm sure its not intended but in most games it seems to be the case that glitches go unchecked and the few people who know about them quietly wreck the game for others over a long period of time.  However, it seems that when a prominent youtuber exposes the glitch ........ suddenly the glitch gets fixed and the game developer tells us it had nothing to do with the publicity.  I sure this is not an attempt to silence criticism but it may be the result.

#2 was already in the code of conduct i believe.  I don't think i have ever played an MMO that didn't have that rule.

It's kind of necessary in a game with a persistent world, and an economy, where exploits involve duplicating or getting stuff for free.  If everyone finds out about an exploit like that days before the devs do, it causes a huge mess that they have to clean up (hopefully).  Maybe they'll decide to roll back the servers, and piss everyone off.  Or maybe they won't do anything and still piss everyone off. ?

Either way everyone ends up pissed off, and the devs spend a bunch of time doing things other then working on the game.

If only a few people find out and do not report it to the devs, they abuse the hell out of it. 

If honest people find out and report it, it may take quite some time before it gets fixed and those people who abuse it continue happily. 

Some people really enjoy the minute to minute gameplay, (like I do in mario kart) and wouldnt care if the server was wiped once per week.
Others derive joy from seeing their base, org, business etc grow. More ships, more machines, more ore. build your empire. And for those people it feels very unfair that others get their stuff for free. 

As long as I am streaming, I am not allowed to stack elements on ships, I am not allowed to insta-brake, I am not allowed to make my ship invincible. And of course when updating the bug list I am not allowed to add any of those things, past or present and shush anybody who hints in that direction.

At the same time, when I report people braking rules, I am told the rules in question are currently not enforced. I am not allowed to tell you more, because I am not allowed to talk about conversations with NQ.

The "any game error" is a bit open to interpretation, but generally I see no problem with those rules if they are applied strictly as worded.

But it is problematic when NQ starts saying that things we can do naturally in the game are exploits because of missing game functionality/logic causing unintended consequences. This is where the "any game error" part can be misused, and is effectively pushing the blame for an unfinished game over to the players. And leads to situations where players somehow just have to know what is allowed or not, depending on whatever the latest word from NQ is.

By this definition you can even get banned for flying with engine that reports being 90% obstructed while effectivelly working as normal. 

Sad, but quite amusing at the same time.  Pretty much all you can safely do going forwards is buy chair, place it down and watch the stars travel accross the skies ( and occasional DCed ship  burning down in the atmosphere ) ?

"Stargazer - where dreams to come die"

comming out on PC and Mac in spring 2025

4 hours ago, Ethariel said:

You have to remember, this is an MMO

An exploit is defined as 'A bug that is beneficial to players' whereas a Game Feature is defined as 'A Bug that is detrimental to players'.

The ultimate cynic in me nodded furiously at that.... oof! 

3 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

The "any game error" is a bit open to interpretation, but generally I see no problem with those rules if they are applied strictly as worded.

Very interesting, Captain... I can see where you're coming from, though I suspect that is because you likely have more faith remaining in humanity than I do... 
I'm kinda in the other direction if any game error is handled strictly as worded, it leads to all manner of potential issues... Any time the game behaves in a way it arguably shouldn't.... like placing wings between voxels and hiding their profile to gain an "unfair" speed advantage" or never using diagonal wings to do the same... could be construed as an "offense". at the end of the day, this is a Balpha (Beta by name, alpha by quality)... rules still need to be handled on a case by case basis because the code is shonky af right now and this is not yet anywhere near a complete game.

2 hours ago, Bazzy_505 said:

By this definition you can even get banned for flying with engine that reports being 90% obstructed while effectivelly working as normal. 

Sad, but quite amusing at the same time.  Pretty much all you can safely do going forwards is buy chair, place it down and watch the stars travel accross the skies ( and occasional DCed ship  burning down in the atmosphere ) ?

"DU suggestions forum - where dreams to come die"

Exactly... though I doubt that it would come to this unless another player put in a spurious claim...
I fixed that last line for you... ?

I got my mail address flooded with those.

Tip to NQ:

if (is_customer_subscribed(customer_id)) {

send_messages_about_code_of_conduct(customer_id);

} else {

send_promotional_mails_showing_pvp_that_looks_wonderful_but_not_in_game_yet(customer_id);

}

It should go into the backend thingy, not into the game client thingy.

On 8/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, Underhook said:

I have not played since January.

Got an email just now regarding a new code of conduct.

1) Exploiting the game through any game error or bug that gives an unintended advantage.

I'm on board with this one (above). 

2)  Promoting or sharing information regarding exploits, cheating programs, or other activities intended to give players an unfair advantage.

This one, I don't like.

I never exploit and the only way I ever know one exists is by youtubers or forum posters telling me about it.  In many cases this allows me to develop strategies to avoid the glitchers and not be their victim.  As the saying goes "sunlight is the best disinfectant".  I'm sure its not intended but in most games it seems to be the case that glitches go unchecked and the few people who know about them quietly wreck the game for others over a long period of time.  However, it seems that when a prominent youtuber exposes the glitch ........ suddenly the glitch gets fixed and the game developer tells us it had nothing to do with the publicity.  I sure this is not an attempt to silence criticism but it may be the result.

If there's one thing NQ opposes, it's sunlight, lol. Both in game and out.