Is screen freezing during piloting a common thing?

aliensalmon

I think I've posted about this several times before, but piloting in Dual Universe is pretty unbearable - pretty much impossible - for me now because my screen freezes for a long time making me lose control of my ship, which in turn makes me crash often. I suspected it has to do with the lag but people have said it has improved somewhat. I dunno.

I was also thinking it has to do with my graphics settings so I tried lowering the threads from the default (which is six I think) to two.  I still had problems with flight. So perhaps it isn't a graphics thing either (unless my GPU and system is really poor - I have a GTX 1660 coupled with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600.  I have 16 GB RAM in my system and I have the game installed on an external SSD. )

I'm just wondering if screen freezing is a common thing for you.

When i fly near buldings i can see my computer is warming up. I got RTX 2070 Ryzen 9 3900 and 48 GB ram . GTX 1660 and Ryzen 5 3600 should be bearly enough but 16GB ram is not enough for shure. That can cause frizes. Also External SSD is disaster in my opinion. You got Fast drive but connected via slow cable. I only use M2 SSD on bord that have more than 3GB/s transfer.

So to sumarize i think your PC is to week for smooth fly near planet and buildings.

12 hours ago, Paolo80 said:

When i fly near buldings i can see my computer is warming up. I got RTX 2070 Ryzen 9 3900 and 48 GB ram . GTX 1660 and Ryzen 5 3600 should be bearly enough but 16GB ram is not enough for shure. That can cause frizes. Also External SSD is disaster in my opinion. You got Fast drive but connected via slow cable. I only use M2 SSD on bord that have more than 3GB/s transfer.

So to sumarize i think your PC is to week for smooth fly near planet and buildings.

Hmm...guess I gotta pull out the old wallet if I wanna continue playing this game....(so I should get more RAM and find an internal SSD....)

9 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Yes, it is a thing. Lot's of players struggle with game lag/crashes especially when coming close to central hubs like popular markets etc.

And believe it or not, this is the improved version. Used to be much worse earlier.

Ah, at least I'm not the only one.

9 hours ago, DrDerp said:

You could try and play a session on GeforceNow. If the issues still occurs on the same spots, it might be server-/enginewise. If not, it might be your hardware

Sounds like something I should do, too.

When I fly across to MTI, (super developed section near Market Place 3 on Madis) my game becomes very chuggy... Frame rates drop to the 20s and are are often 1/2 second pauses every few seconds which make flying at high speed perilous.  It's not anything like their "in game footage" trailers even with a top end machine.
I play at 1440p.

For reference, my main system is fairly high end 5900x / RTX3080 / NVME PCIE4 980PRO / 64GB 3600 DDR4 RAM on Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master.   So it's not lacking in any department and there are no real bottlenecks.
I use basic PBO but don't really overclock at all, the extra heat for just a few % points speed is a waste of effort, IMHO.

The 12 Core CPU and graphics are at about 50% total load and temps are nicely under control.

My previous box which I run my alts on is 4770K / GTX1080Ti / 2 x 512Gb SATA 960EVO RAID0 / 32GB 3200 DDR3 RAM on Gigabyte  Z97-UD7-TH. All stock with 3.9GHz clock. DU is a hideously heavy load and even slight overclocking can push CPU temperatures into the stratosphere, apparently due to AVX use... This game is like running a permanent benchmark.

The 4 Core CPU is permanently pegged at 100% and the GFX when at 1080p is about 70-80%.
It suffers the same 1/2 second dropouts and frame rates in the low 20s and sometimes <20fps.

An internal SSD is basically a must these days. Don't even think of using an HDD and avoid external SSDs if they're not connected via thunderbolt.

RAM usage is about 19Gb on both my machines, with just DU and Discord running, so as @Paolo80 said above, I think that 16Gb is probably asking for trouble, or even if it works, the amount of cacheing available significantly reduces and along with it, performance.

My computer is in my school's classroom, so I use our 2Gb/s low latency fibre connection. 

Thus 
I think the problem is on their end in any case and as @CptLoRes said, it's indeed better than it was.

I wouldn't have considered GfN... That's a good suggestion by @DrDerp .

The issue with DU is that it will find bottlenecks in your system.  I dont really have many issues with freezes but my best mate who I play DU with had big issues with even though his computer is a superior spec to mine.  He saw big improvements when he

• Moved his cache onto a different HD from the game - this helps as the game has to access cache a LOT when you revisit busy areas
  • Hardwiring his internet connection - his was previously playing on wifi, this can bottleneck transfer of data from the server

He now gets limited lag within busy zones, can fly in and land on D6 with limited issues.

The big issue with Geforce Now is that you play on a new machine every time you log in, so you will not have any cache.  Caching is vital for performance (why you should avoid deleting it wherever possible)