Walking onto someone else's construct is now an exploit

Novean-32184

This just seems weird to me. if someone leaves the doors open and you enter the construct, that is an exploit now? Feels like a rather broad stroke solution to the problem of mass/locator alts being logged off on construct hulls. I can think of a good number of situations where this approach would actually hinder normal gameplay if this "rule" is upheld. There are fairly easy solutions which have been suggested here and elsewhere for months by several people and yet, NQ ignores any and all of these and just carpet bombs the issue, hoping it will just vanish. 

It can't be just walking onto someones else's construct, it just cant. It is NQ's problem that they lack such basic mechanics as to deal with this, and pushing the problem over to the players is a systemic problem often displayed by NQ (like when they forgot to set proper rights on a market construct, and then blamed players for taking advantage).

Sounds like a temporary fix until they release the docking and boarding update that was spoken about back in May. Won't affect the majority of players, just the ones that have a habit of leaving characters in suspicious places.

If they are going to put it onto the players, do it properly. have it be an anti personnel module that you place on a ship. The pilot can then press a button and it will then kill anyone who is not sitting and is on your ship.  Or maybe slingshots them 50km from the ship. 

because the only problem with uninvited guest is there is no way to get rid of them. 

I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it, I really don't like NQ when they use the word exploit.... It's a weasel word that attempts to shift the blame from the devs' own mistakes onto the player base when it's actually a bug.

In fact in this case, it's not even a bug, but an as yet completely undeveloped aspect of the game.

Also, non consensual boarding has got to be one of the lamest things I've heard all day.

8 hours ago, RugesV said:

If they are going to put it onto the players, do it properly. have it be an anti personnel module that you place on a ship. The pilot can then press a button and it will then kill anyone who is not sitting and is on your ship.  Or maybe slingshots them 50km from the ship. 

because the only problem with uninvited guest is there is no way to get rid of them. 

Did you read the DevBlog on the docking and boarding changes or..?

On 7/24/2021 at 8:44 AM, Jake Arver said:

This just seems weird to me. if someone leaves the doors open and you enter the construct, that is an exploit now?

No its not.

If you see a "abandoned" construct you can walk all over it and explore it, it being a base or a ship. 

But you cant stay there, by hidding or logging out. 

This means that you should not "EXPLOIT" this mechanic to cause harm to that player and his ship. 

You cannot use your logged out avatar to track a ship going into the pvp zone. 

You cannot use your inventory mass to cause mass issues to that player. 

In the end its quite simple to understand: if your action is going to cause damages to that player, you can be banned.... 

If you fail to understand this simple thing, either you have some heavy cognitive issues OR you want a excuse to use this exploit to make someone miserable in a non fair way. 

Either way, you should not be allowed to play. 

Convenient, RDMS wasn't intended to be used to exploit organizations into stealing their shit, but NQ stood by it as espionage, a valid part of the game. The moment it involves actual pvp though its an issue... Not saying its cool to hang out on players ships to get kills, I personally think its cheese but maybe don't leave your ships sitting at the starting location of a major well known mission pick up. Maybe you should check your surroundings for potential threats when you know they are present. Somehow it's beyond comprehension that a ship left open to the public sitting for days on end could get a stowaway, who could track movement. Even now I have a cell phone that can basically be tracked anywhere on the planet, you mean to tell me in the future they can't have space cell phones? Yes its cheesy but if they were going to make it a rule, then they should have done it with the introduction of actual piracy mechanics instead of this nonsense.   

6 hours ago, iNFiDeL said:

Somehow it's beyond comprehension that a ship left open to the public sitting for days on end could get a stowaway, who could track movement.

Even now I have a cell phone that can basically be tracked anywhere on the planet, you mean to tell me in the future they can't have space cell phones? Yes its cheesy but if they were going to make it a rule, then they should have done it with the introduction of actual piracy mechanics instead of this nonsense.   

The fact is NQ are YEARS behind schedule. Their last "proper" roadmap with actual things listed in the todo column ended up more than 18 months behind schedule after two years... A rather remarkable feat of mismanagement by anyone's standards...  

By now there should have been proper mechanics to handle player interactions.... Or at least a placeholder mechanic, just like you can't dock a dynamic core to another dynamic core without RDMS permissions, so too should you not be able to "dock" your player with a ship without RDMS...  

Thus if you log out and are not mentioned in the RDMS then the ship moves away and you stay put.

Another way would be in a ship inventory report that shows clearly all the players on board and how much they are carrying. Then provide a button to eject them (i.e transfer them to global coordinates... ) thus, like above, when you move your ship away, they stay put.

Either of these kludges would have to do as an interim solution until piracy and boarding were implemented properly (requiring AvA combat, obviously).

On the other hand, since we are still in Balpha... we are supposedly "not playing the game but testing the game"  <-- This is the phrase that always gets bandied about by NQ and their white knights as they see fit to justify any arbitrary decision they make off the cuff... So, basically we have to just suck it up... Like with the MP15 fallout.

2 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

On the other hand, since we are still in Balpha... we are supposedly "not playing the game but testing the game"  <-- This is the phrase that always gets bandied about by NQ and their white knights as they see fit to justify any arbitrary decision they make off the cuff... So, basically we have to just suck it up... Like with the MP15 fallout.

Ohh man. That excuse got old even before alpha. The dev process and progression for this game has always been... not right.

And surprise, surprise. All those things we where told to just be patient and ignore because "early days, and will be fixed later". They are mostly still not solved..

3 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Ohh man. That excuse got old even before alpha. The dev process and progression for this game has always been... not right.

And surprise, surprise. All those things we where told to just be patient and ignore because "early days, and will be fixed later". They are mostly still not solved..

Credit where credit is due... Elite Dangerous went gold release in 2014... Even today most of the game's "placeholders" are still there as they were from day 1.... Rather than fixing the placeholders with actual content FDEV started new paid DLCs and filled *those* with placeholders...

Now they have a new place holder PVP paid DLC called Odyssey...  Endless madness

NQ can declare something an 'exploit', but that doesn't mean it will be easily enforced. Jaywalking is illegal, but few people are busted for it because no one has time for that. 

Enter as many constructs as you want. Don't be afraid just because "oh shit it's technically against the rules now" -- the only way you'll be busted is if someone complains (lol at anyone that thinks NQ will examine logs to find 'bad people'). Even with complaints, NQ's support isn't always timely or effective.

If you do get busted, a ban seems excessive. If you do get banned, who even cares anymore...? ?‍♂️

I think there's limited window to label something an exploit in an MMO. Any professional studio patches it after less than a month (often within days if they are live).

Otherwise, you have this running list of 'laws' that most players will not know about. "But didn't you read the list of laws?" -- ignorance of the law is very much an excuse in a video game because they design reality itself -- it is up to NQ to literally codify the rules.

They want to punish players for their inability to design a game -- it's a draconian approach that is very much in line with their overall customer service ethos (tell customers nothing, treat them like you hate them, assume they are always wrong, and punish them for your own mistakes) 

I kind of get it if NQ's dev and tech isn't going to improve anytime soon. Tech is hard. Dev on an old poorly planned game must be a nightmare....

But basic customer service...? Basic concepts about how to treat a customer?

They seem to eternally elude NQ, and this is really the easiest part. I don't think NQ really likes their own customers and fears/loathes them for daring to break their design with 'exploits' (despite this being the point of beta testing). 

I very much laugh at even the idea that this game will ever scale with their winning combination of technology, customer support, and game design. 

I hereby declare all constructs owned by me (XKentX IGN) or any organization I am a legate of to be off limits to anyone without written permission.

Under the new exploit classification and this formal declaration available to wide audience anyone entering the sphere of influence (and therefore boarding) any of before-mentioned constructs without my written permission can be classified as a bug abuser and will have disciplinary actions taken against him as mentioned by NQ.

P.S:

When I land my L-Core on Market 6 it's your problem, not mine.

20 hours ago, XKentX said:

I hereby declare all constructs owned by me (XKentX IGN) or any organization I am a legate of to be off limits to anyone without written permission.

Under the new exploit classification and this formal declaration available to wide audience anyone entering the sphere of influence (and therefore boarding) any of before-mentioned constructs without my written permission can be classified as a bug abuser and will have disciplinary actions taken against him as mentioned by NQ.

P.S:

Sphere of influence? ? What is that supposed to be and Where did U get that idea? Whatever it may be, NQ stated boarding other players constructs. So we would have to be in or at least on your ship/building.

Also ? we need proof of your legitimation to speak on behalf of any unmentioned orgs you were speaking for.

Also if you drop your ship on market6 I assume a right of way since your blocking public ground. 

.....sue me ??

Maybe a clean up on how the rules are based on the docking changes coming is needed. 

Walking on and exploring a parked ship anywhere is definitely not an exploit it’s part of the game. 

Parking characters on a ship in the safe-zone logged off or on with the intent of using the lock player tool on that character to track a ship is an exploit. This will soon be impossible to anyone without RDMS rights to be a passenger. 

Boarding a ship already in the pvp zone is not an exploit and fair game. Different rules apply here yarrr. The anti stowaway RDMS in the docking patch should / will be disabled as soon as a ship is in pvp space.

Things definitely missing from this gameplay is the docking patch, AVA, HARPOONS! / tractor beam type elements and some form of low accuracy or delayed update time long range tracking of ships in deep space. NQ needs to get this stuff in for everything to finally make sense. 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:09 AM, XKentX said:

P.S:

Market 6 shop idea: Call a ship ItsATrap. Have players walk in, door shut behind them, and they have to buy something out of dispensers for door to open, else if they log off, it's an exploit. Guaranteed sales.

I basically quit playing the game back in January; seeing stuff like this just makes me glad I haven't come back.

I'd love to have a reason to come back; I (mostly) loved the experience I'd had, but the future just didn't seem good.

by the way, in case anyone's wondering "WHY DID YOU EVEN POST", it's because I care.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

The game is choke full of "temporary" fixes.. 

Whenever I try to envision how it must be working at NQ, I see a raging fire and a bunch of headless chickens running around trying to put it out..