DEVBLOG: Asteroids - Discussion thread

NQ-Deckard

Maybe also put an "asteroid report" in an (email) newsletter so everyone will get prepped/hyped?

Something like...

Safe Zone Asteroids:
20 T1 - average size 750m
10 T2 - average size 500m
5 T3 - average size 600m
4 T4 - average size 500m
2 T5 - average size  1000m

Why are they all 500m? Why no mega asteroids? Why does the timer show in the middle column the second you step on it? The middle column is useless and defeats the purpose of the 4 hour timer. If they can see what roids people touch the instant they get their rather than 4 hours later feels a little pointless. 

Releasing half thought out interfaces are why rdms sucks and most of your menus are trash to navigate. 

NQ intention:

Asteroids that will be risk vs reward as you fight for the control of the tier 5 asteroids !

Reality:

T1 trashcan ship with 100 alts crashes on the tier5 asteroid. Alts start troll mining T5 into their backpacks jetpacking away and logging off when full. 3 battleships that came to pvp watching helplessly unable to do anything to them.

When the dust settles down alt extraction (another trashcan this time with a warp drive) arrives to take them back home.

NQ: "We will investigate..." (and may or may not do anything about it in 6 month)

There is that profession. Game Design.

2 minutes ago, Infinite_Matt said:

I want to test this but i cannot find the DSAT anywhere for purchase. am i missing something?

The ark ship on the test server can get you what you need and you can fetch anywhere. Teleporters are at market 1 on all planets

Is there really a need to have players scan 5 times to find an asteroid??  If there is a game play reason for it, I'd be open to it but so far it just looks like pointless time wasting.  Also, the problem with your PvP isn't 'balance'.  The combat mechanic sucks it's like a throw back to the first generation of a computerised version of dice rolling. 

48 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Reality:

T1 trashcan ship with 100 alts crashes on the tier5 asteroid. Alts start troll mining T5 into their backpacks jetpacking away and logging off when full. 3 battleships that came to pvp watching helplessly unable to do anything to them.

When the dust settles down alt extraction (another trashcan this time with a warp drive) arrives to take them back home.

Sesame Street on Twitter: "Stay in bed, lounge by a pool ...

Trashcan ships you say?

Not much that can be done about it until avatars become targetable. Well, I suppose you could tighten up the time to broadcasting to starting the four hours the moment a discovery is made and you can make your flight to the asteroid like I originally thought was going to happen.

Actually, why even have a four hour lead anyways? Why not broadcast to everyone?

DIG IN

Good news for the lone wolves of the world: Single-player asteroid-hunting is completely feasible. It is about picking the right amount of risk and having a well-designed ship for dig-and-run action. A major perk of being the first to discover and begin mining an asteroid is that you’re pretty much guaranteed to pull out a few nodes of higher-tier-ore from the get-go. A tier-3 asteroid might contain a couple of tier-5 veins.

Single player asteroid will be limited to safe space.    Right amount of risk? Well thats safe space.  I mean how many asteroids would a player need to do to recoup the cost of loosing there ship? Even as it, planet mining is currently better then asteroid mining (except T4/5's)   A well designed ship for a dig and run?  If hes down digging. he wont know that an enemy has arrived. And they will blow up his ship before he even gets to the surface to start running. 

You guys act like there is a 2 hour window. before the asteroid becomes public knowledge. So hes going to have 2 hours there by himself. When the reality is soon as he gets to the asteroid, it is now broadcast to everyone  that a player just arrived at that asteroid and is probably mining it right now. So every pirate out there looking for a kill is now going to go scan down that asteroid. So the miner could have only a couple minutes before a pirate arrives. 

2 hours ago, XKentX said:

Reality:

T1 trashcan ship with 100 alts crashes on the tier5 asteroid

You know that NPCs would solve this right? 

A simple extra dumb AI would just fire at all that paper clip rig and all would be dead/stranded. 

1 hour ago, joaocordeiro said:

You know that NPCs would solve this right? 

A simple extra dumb AI would just fire at all that paper clip rig and all would be dead/stranded. 

Maybe i am blind but i don't see NPCs in patch notes.

So as i said "may be or maybe not in maybe 6 minimum"...

How long it will take to fully deplete all of the asteroid’s resources depends on a wide range of variables. How large is the crew? How good are they at working together? What equipment are they using? A well-oiled machine of a team with top-line equipment has the potential to complete the task before the four-hour broadcast timer dings. (Potential being the operative word there.)

What equipment are they using?  What do you mean by this? and What choices do we have?

13 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

So if I understand this correctly, big orgs wont even have to scan for asteroids.

Just wait for the broadcast and then chase away/kill whoever did the work of finding and scanning the asteroid.

After a timer ends. 

So the guy that finds it will have a head start to mine or sell the info. 

According to the blog, timer starts the moment you land. So while the counter is running you will have to scan and locate the ore, and then mine it.

To me the whole asteroid mechanic seems disproportionately in favor of large teams and PvP aggressors.

although i really like the idea of asteroid mining in DU i cannot see how the current implementation could create interesting gameplay besides very basic risk vs reward.

- please replace fixed spawn times of asteroids by random ones for singe asteroids until maybe a max number is spawned in the system

- please replace the scanning system by something that involves player skill ( the real one)

- scan results should only give a rough estimate of direction to asteroirs ( or other objects) forcing miners and pirate to triangulate asteroids by moving their ship and scanning again, 

maybe implement a tool to display scan results inside an ingame 3d map of the system

- distances of scanned asteroids should only be roughly available when the scanned object is close and the signal is good

- please remove the broadcast and centralised access to an asteroids database

- asteroid positions can be really valueable trading goods

- you never know if the asteroid you are just scanning is already empty or just beeing mined

- despawn asteroids either by total living time or by them beeing empty for a certain time to make place for new ones

- if a pvp hotspot is needed add an area where its more likely to find asteroids like an asteroird belt ( no need for a artificial density in asteroirs, they can be out of sight of each other)

9 hours ago, antanox said:

although i really like the idea of asteroid mining in DU i cannot see how the current implementation could create interesting gameplay besides very basic risk vs reward.

- please replace fixed spawn times of asteroids by random ones for singe asteroids until maybe a max number is spawned in the system

- please replace the scanning system by something that involves player skill ( the real one)

- scan results should only give a rough estimate of direction to asteroirs ( or other objects) forcing miners and pirate to triangulate asteroids by moving their ship and scanning again, 

maybe implement a tool to display scan results inside an ingame 3d map of the system

- distances of scanned asteroids should only be roughly available when the scanned object is close and the signal is good

- please remove the broadcast and centralised access to an asteroids database

- asteroid positions can be really valueable trading goods

- you never know if the asteroid you are just scanning is already empty or just beeing mined

- despawn asteroids either by total living time or by them beeing empty for a certain time to make place for new ones

- if a pvp hotspot is needed add an area where its more likely to find asteroids like an asteroird belt ( no need for a artificial density in asteroirs, they can be out of sight of each other)

I am glad a new feature is introduced. Generally it sounds good, despite the possible exploits. Anyhow I support anatox points. Especially in regards of active skills instead of having to only bring a scanner press a button 5times. Also not a big fan of the broadcast. Maybe tune it down a little. So after the four hours the "rumor" spreads in the solar system and every hour from there on U need less scans to find the location.

The middle-column is a bit concerning- effectively transmitting the location people are at/heading to before the timer even starts. Pending that, not enough T1/T2 ore to help the markets- and T3/T4/T5 injection will help- but may not be enough. As in, there are not enough asteroids, and or they're not big enough.

Just fuzz the data of which asteroids are being discovered(like general area/planet vs which asteroid is being tracked), add larger asteroid generation, and make the timer for more roids random through the week and introduce them continuously or else there will be a gold-rush every week with pvp action that peters out... means players will be beholden to a games weekly timer to enjoy content, which feels like a big no-no.

Easy(ish) changes:
* More nebulous discovery data in the middle column
* Progressively add asteroids through time, add a "time of rumor" to each, so we know how much longer they'll stick around.
* Larger nodes of T1/T2 on asteroids, and or more/larger asteroids in general.

Those feel like "easy" fixes. Though there is one major glaring issue with  this entire system:

HURRY UP AND WAIT- to hunt down asteroids takes a chunk of time, and if there is a small crew on board that means several people waiting for an hour+(hunted 5 on PTS) hunting an asteroid takes a lot of time, and when found a small team has to HURRY to offload the ore. This entire timeframe is 5-6 hours- which is a play session length most cannot afford and does not lend itself to "fun".

This really lends itself to a 24 hour timer for asteroid discovery(or heck, a flexible timer based on asteroid location/rarities?! Force the conflict over more rare asteroids).  This allows players to break up their play sessions, and allows more people to enjoy the content. As it currently stands it'll punish those that don't have an entire day/night to play a game. And not saying DU needs to cater to the "casual" crowd, but it'd be nice to make content that people whom only have a couple hours to spare can jump on and enjoy.

Hey I am glad this game proceeds and is implemented adding more features to it. I hope we soon have a full game when mining units pvp rebalance and more are out.

I think NQ is doing a great job and we are on our way for the final release soon enough i believe ...

Hold on tight !!!

Habitant

Habitants Organization

7 hours ago, Habitant said:

Hey I am glad this game proceeds and is implemented adding more features to it. I hope we soon have a full game when mining units pvp rebalance and more are out.

I think NQ is doing a great job and we are on our way for the final release soon enough i believe ...

Hold on tight !!!

Habitant

Habitants Organization

? I am interested in your definition of soon. Because eventhough things started moving again and in a good way it seems, I think it is still quite a stretch before I would call it a release quality game.