Anyone still playing Dual Universe? If not, what made you quit playing?

aliensalmon

4 hours ago, HangerHangar said:

If you were the CEO, would you want your name tied to an MMO that died during lockdowns. 

Or tie yourself to the "hate" players lob at you for being the head of a company? People crucified JC for the games issues in forums, discord, twitter, etc- the man probably just wants to be able to do his job in peace.  IDK, 0.25 was a solid release, bit lacking in some ways but since playing was the smoothest roll out, 0.26 felt reactionary to starbase release, and while a solid update... myself and others couldn't really play the game for weeks due to the CTD issues. Gotta say, I almost took a break from the game due to it... 

What made me take a break earlier this year was not the state of the game, but the state of NQ.... communication had ceased- updates and feature progress slowed, and the knowledge the company was effectively out of funds and JC was MIA/stepped downed as CEO. As a player I had felt abandoned on a sinking ship.

Now though... NQ is communicating with players, maybe not taking all their feedback into consideration... but least trying it seams. Company has funding, least enough I'd hope for another year, least the CEO is in bed with the investment firm that is helping fund the game, so if the game can be turned around / saved by the new player experince on the road-map... and as long as numbers start looking up on their player churn rate I'd hope/think they'll provide enough funds to continue till it's out of beta.

But right now, their biggest battle will be the player churn rate. it's the simple factor that all MMO's live and die by.  I really hope this game can continue to live, and that they can return to a positive churn rate and grow the game. Auto-miners and the new user experince, along with smashing bugs/exploits may be the determining factor for many.

1 hour ago, BlindingBright said:

People crucified JC for the games issues in forums, discord, twitter, etc- the man probably just wants to be able to do his job in peace. 

They "crucified" him not for issues -- overall DU community was immensly tolerant on bugs and horrible perfomance for very long time.

People gone for him mostly for bad (lack of) comms and outright lying about game state, like ledengary "no red flags".

To participate in the subject, part of my team still occasionally plays the game, another part actively and some have temporarily stopped.
Patience is strained but we are still waiting patiently.

And it's true that over the past 3 months we've had more content than we've ever had, so hope is still alive I guess.

Take a break if you're not enjoying the game right now.

For me the black point is still a bit the performance and instability side of the game.
But I have the impression that has been done better (voxel level of constructions) and that more will come (maybe with the end of holes and ores on the planets?)

I'm really not sure that the fact that there is not more subscription will slow down the time they have in front of them. On a classic economic model you do not charge a beta. It's certainly more of a bonus for them than anything else at this point.

One of the problems for me is also that they advertise a "beta" version of the game which does not exist. 

I came here for example because of this trailer:

It talks a lot about stuff that is simply not in the game and has been delayed after release.

For example they show atmo fights, talk about massive warfare with hundreds of ships and hint a lot in the direction of territory warfare. Features which are simply not there at all and will not be there in the near future.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, aliensalmon said:

I still check on my base on Alioth and ship from time to time, but I don't play for long periods of time anymore.

My reasons? I have other priorities (such as other games - I know, lame excuse) but I guess there's also a lack of incentive to explore around. I've been all over Alioth, Madis, Thades, and Jago, and explored space extensively. I've used a surrogate to explore the Free Port on Teoma and the Utopia Space Station. But I think I've seen a lot of stuff in Dual Universe now such that any further discoveries don't feel...."new". So yeah. Not worth it to log in except to check on my stuff briefly.

I just subscribed.  I've been waiting for this game for awhile after Star Citizen seems to have failed, and I grew tired of EVE On-line.  So yes, I'll be playing. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 3:13 PM, DrDerp said:

Dont forget to cancel your subscription via xsollo. After all you should quit paying when U quit playing, unless Ur a true believer

Cancel? You mean to tell me the 3 months I bought will not just run out?

[EDIT}]I just looked it up and my subscription will run out on Oct 31st, also Autorenewal is turned off. Should I cancel either way? Because it's not like I'll get the money back.

i suspect a lot of frustration comes from JC setting lofty fanboyish goals without much prior planning or oversight what those promises would technically mean to deliver on.  On the other side, many folks logged in day in and day into experience marred with technical issues, with the original pitch becomming ever so distant with each update.   Schematics were perfectly legitimate and i would argue much needed  mechanic to make markets/currency work at last. And in the end it did.   The problem was the absolutely disastrous way they initially seeded on day one. 

I suspect for more than a few, including myself it  were the anecdotal last straw that broke the camel's back.  With the backlog of frustrations that i carried all the way from alpha i could not be bothered redo my character SP, rewire 500+ industry units, play atmospheric slideshow or loiter around in empty space for an off chance to meet fellow cube to fly in straight line after and shoot at.  The game at the time felt like it's at the end and its time to move on to greener pastures.  Sure i never missed a chance to kick a dead horse here on forums, and was perfectly content with the idea of deriving perverse satisfaction in watching  the NQ ship sinking as JC spins his usual nonsense to the moment waters close over his head.  But other than forum bashing, would not even log into game in months. 

Than on one of those days , i see a very eloquent announcement of JC being kicked to the curb and being replaced the person who was bankrolling NQ for much of its existence.  To me it read like consolidation of assets before liquidation or going into receivership,  so i did no put much stock on the "change".; certainly not enough for me to want to give DU any more of my time or money. 

About another 6 months have passed, and i started to see a slow but steady string of updates. In unrelated event, I had to buy a new computer at the time to replace my 6 year old machine that had started to die slowly by thousand cuts of old age.    Once the new PC was in and setup and started to reinstall all my usual work related packages, i had a perverse passing though

"lets see how BAD that piece of crap runs on my fancy pc".  I did install the client but i didn't bother to fire it up until a week later when my beer buddy bailed on me and was facing a slow boring night at home. 

To my surprise, the client actually run quite well, markets were looking decent, if ever filled with garbage. ( ye looking at you M6) 

Shields just cam in game roids were released about week later and i found myself playing again.  There were actually more people in game than i would have expected and i found myself enjoying the game maybe for the first time since i bought into DU alpha. 

Been playing  for 3 weeks now, the game still just a stub of what it should have been in many respects, but for the first time i feel like the development is heading in the right direction and i can see myself playing it for months to come.   

It's just a pitty leadership hasn't changed earlier. Had that happened 8 months earlier,  the soft "beta" release might have gone down much better than it did.   

23 hours ago, Bazzy_505 said:

Been playing  for 3 weeks now, the game still just a stub of what it should have been in many respects, but for the first time i feel like the development is heading in the right direction and i can see myself playing it for months to come.   

Yeah, I agree, that current more "grounded up" approch is obviously better, then JC era crap.

Still, personaly I kinda burned out on game become sort of Landmark-2 where few people grind and build just for sake of it in near-singlplayer, bubbled alienated experience, sitting in immensly large, but immensly empty 3d space/world.

I was expecting something like EVE, with politics and stuff, but nothing like this survived.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, le_souriceau said:

I was expecting something like EVE, with politics and stuff, but nothing like this survived.

You and me both. If there's any way NQ comes back from years of mismanagment, they need to address this.

Technical foundation is finally mature enough, but now would be a good time to hire a few writers to fleshout basic lore, factions etc. Even PVP needs to have "ideological" background in order to be fun enough to participate in. 

I would also agree that besides playing landmark and factorio, there is little to do in game for the time being. To be frank, as of now DU is hardly a game at all. Space flight&combat needs awful lot of work become even remotely player skill dependent, be it pvp or god forbid pve.

DU is not a even remotely a good game, but for the first time in years, i feel there is hope that one day it may become just that.  Whatever decade that may be, i cannot say for sure ?

On 8/25/2021 at 2:30 AM, PleiJades said:

One of the problems for me is also that they advertise a "beta" version of the game which does not exist. 

It talks a lot about stuff that is simply not in the game and has been delayed after release.

For example they show atmo fights, talk about massive warfare with hundreds of ships and hint a lot in the direction of territory warfare. Features which are simply not there at all and will not be there in the near future.

1: Game wont be wiped so consider this a soft release. Territory Warfare (base raiding) is problably one of the last patches before release.
2:  Prepare for release.
3: Profit ?!?!

On 8/25/2021 at 1:30 AM, PleiJades said:

Yeah, to this day, it's one of  the more glaring problems. Those trailers as well as website content is really not representative of what Dual Universe is.  It wouldn't be a far stretch to consider most of it false advertising.

I do remember learning of Dual Universe existence through one of those pre-alpha videos back in the day. Based on that i bought into paid alpha.  It was quite a shock when the next alpha 2 day test started and i finally go the chance to login.   I thought it was a scam and i unistalled the client in about 40 minutes in a fit of righteous wrath.

When i did eventually calm down, I reinstalled it again thinking for the money spent i may just as well have some fun with this piece of shovelware.  It eventually grew on me, mainly because landmark servers were down for years at that point.   I still play now, but what i have installed is certainly not a game i see in trailers, not even now.

10 hours ago, Bazzy_505 said:

You and me both. If there's any way NQ comes back from years of mismanagment, they need to address this.

Technical foundation is finally mature enough, but now would be a good time to hire a few writers to fleshout basic lore, factions etc. Even PVP needs to have "ideological" background in order to be fun enough to participate in. 

It demands certain critical mass of people and hype to kickstart "political" layer on sustainable level (with all kind of people creating groups and dreaming to dominate world). Old players mostly burned out at this point or too few. So NQ need new ones.

Considering DU "release" (even if rather techincal event by itself, more importanly -- serious advert mobilization possibility) at best in 2022, maybe 2023, it means, that.. whole thing will go to next round of life cycle with like 3-4 years old legacy of several hundred most stubborn people grinded out immense ammounts of assets, billions, trillions, all competitivly important skills etc.

I find this ultra questionable for any meaningful restart, but people obviously have tantrums just hearing W-word.

Still playing and enjoying the experience but I am more casual - not part of a Corp but might join one when the game actually releases.

I tried alfa but frame rate was too low for me to actually try it more than twice.

When Beta released I played a lot and look at beta really as a test everything I can, build some ships and attempt self sufficiency. I must admit I was not fond of schematics when they came out since it felt like a slow down, someone posted before its 'gated now' and if I had not already built a space ship, made and stored enough fuel along with acquiring some mines on various planets already I certainly thing I would have felt a bit imprisoned and frustrated. I think it might have been wise to give people an easing in or some of the lower schematics for free to get us to try them out, which might have stopped some people leaving. I do miss that you loose that you could have made anything yourself and now you have to use the market to buy the schematics so the, one thing I would change about this is have an invention process that allows players to discover them without the need of the market (and copy) - making the time for this long if balance required it.

Personally I really love the clouds, random but I do. :)

I know nothing about the NQ issues or JC gossip but reading this topic and looking at the video posted it looks like it was a JC video (The name of one of the corps). So I am not sure it still relevant to the 'now' of things.

I would also like to say, I personally and am happy with the how the game is at the present time I am not on a lot but that is because I am mainly interested in can I make the stuff I need and do it well but I also like Space Engineers for that too. I guess well see if I can be coxed into other aspects like PVP if / when I join a corp.

I think auto mining (assuming I can get it to work) will make the game more enjoyable for me as a player since I do not mind finding some ore but these days I am carrying about 1KT of ore in my ship and its just me doing it so it takes about something link 5 or so hours to fill. I tend to do in 30 minute batches unless I have decided to go to a new planet for some special ore in which case I will spend the hours flying there and land mine and fly back (All my ships work without warp drive).

Hope you all enjoy your time no mater if you are spending it in DU or not ?