GeForce NOW GFN share experience - stable?

realMod

How stable is your connection?

I have tried GeForce NOW today for the first time.

• Crash to Desktop happend about 3 times in 1 hour.
  • Sometimes the login credentials have to be re-entered (error 100)

conclusion for me as of now: un-useable

Do you have any way to know how much RAM the game was using when the crash happened?

If you move away from all structures and restart the game with "clear cache" will it help?

My suspect is that your game is spamming CPU instructions to move stuff from and to RAM.

In a regular computer, this translates to a few moments of total game freeze, with the CPU and RAM channels totally overloaded.

But GFN does not use desktops to run games.

They use massive servers with several GPUs connected. Then they create virtualized computers, with the hypervisor managing each VM's CPU and GPU share.
It's quite clear that a CPU lock with CPU and ram channels totally overloaded has a hardware level impact, and will cause issues to the surrounding VMs running on the same server.
So your game was probably did not crash. Instead, it was killed by the hypervisor for creating impact on other VMs.

This is the same issue of when players complain that their CPU was at 100% for several hours. The same of when ppl complained about heat and CPU damage because of heat.

If its this, it cannot be fixed by GFN or by any game configuration. 

It requires NQ to change the core of the game to manage its own CPU load...

Hello @joaocordeiro

no, I do not know the ressource usage of GFN - CMD+N will show the statistics of GFN, but more in terms of network and missed packets.

I do know that my session on my regular PC 1 day before did not have such issues during 2 hours.

own PC RAM usage: next to 32 GByte

GFN will allocate a max of 3 CPU threads as seen in DUs setup dialog.

The reason for me to try GFN is that my internet speed is kind of low - I did see a great improvement during loading times in VR sessions in GFN.

What I did see on another local machine of mine was a 100% CPU load of 8 cores / 16 threads by DU - this has never happened before.

edit: this is NOT using GFN - DU is running locally on this PC

The GFN crashes did happen mostly in VR sessions around areas like "Gott mart" - my gut feeling is that the in game streaming of content could not cope.

45 minutes ago, realMod said:

my gut feeling is that the in game streaming of content could not cope.

I agree with this. But not with it being a problem on the network side.

When you get high data streamed to your game, the game translates that compressed data into class instantiation on ram.

I think the creation of those classes, being a CPU + RAM only operation, is spamming the memory channels

In a virtualized environment, CPUs can be dedicated, RAM space can be dedicated, but RAM channels are shared.

If the RAM channels are saturated by DU, this will have an impact on other VMs on the same physical server.

If the system is configured properly, channel saturation is identified as a game/vm failure and is killed.

Whatever the reason might be:

if this is a systemic issue with DU and GFN then my intention is to share this info and ask about other user's experience.

If this issue is indeed easily reproduceable then it comes to mind how this got through QA in the first place.

English (deepl used)

Before more nonsense is written here about Geforce Now (GFN), here is my experience with GFN.

I have played DU through GFN several times and at different locations in DU.

The result: With the settings everything on Ultra it hooks a bit when there is a lot to load (i.e. at the markets). If the virtual PC has everything in the cache, you can run around without a jerk.
With the settings everything on medium, only the loading times of the DU server are still disturbing, but they are also on every "NASA computer" as long as NQ does not deliver faster.

About the load on my PC: I have a 970 GPU and 24 GB RAM. My CPU has 5-10% utilisation, GPU 10-15% utilisation and the RAM not even 2GByte. Since the cache of DU runs on the virtual PC and has no content with the start of DU, there is a somewhat longer loading time at the beginning and there is also no location data before the start. Therefore, such data must always be reloaded, which happens very quickly. 

The only disadvantage I see at the moment is when flying long distances through space, if you don't press a button every 10 minutes. Because then a 60-second countdown is started after 9 minutes, which ends the game.

German (original)

Bevor hier noch mehr Unsinn über Geforce Now (GFN) geschrieben wird, hier meine Erfahrungen mit GFN.

Ich habe mehrere Male DU über GFN gespielt und an verschiedenen Orten in DU.

Das Ergebnis : Bei den Einstellungen alles auf Ultra hakelt es ein bisschen, wenn viel zu laden ist (Also an den Märken). Hat der virtuelle PC alles im Cache kann man rumrennen ohne einen Ruckler.
Bei den Einstellungen alles auf medium sind nur noch die Ladezeiten vom DU-Server die stören, aber die sind solange NQ nicht schneller liefert auch auf jedem "NASA-Rechner".

Zur Auslastung auf meinem PC: Ich habe eine 970 GPU und 24GByte RAM. Meine CPU hat 5-10% Auslastung, GPU 10-15% Auslastung und das RAM noch nicht einmal 2GByte.

Da der Cache von DU auf dem virtuellen PC läuft und mit dem Start von DU keinen Inhalt hat gibt es eine etwas längere Ladezeit am Anfang und es sind halt auch keine Ortsdaten vor dem Start vorhanden. Daher müssen solche Daten immer neu geladen werde was aber sehr schnell geschieht. 

Den einzigen Nachteil, den ich momentan sehe ist beim Flug langer Strecken durchs All, wenn man nicht alle 10 Minuten eine Taste drückt. Denn dann wird nach 9 Minuten ein 60Seküdiger Countdown gestartet der das Spiel beendet.

Die Waldfee

During my play session with GFN free account I did see an improvement in terms of faster loading times in DU compared to my 32 MBit internet connection.

However the game stability in GFN was not on par compared to running DU locally on my PCs.

@joaocordeiro What is your experience with GFN in terms of crashes?

2 hours ago, realMod said:

@joaocordeiro What is your experience with GFN in terms of crashes?

None, never tried GFN.
But I know how DU behaves. More like, I know how DU misbehaves.

And I have some good experience with most/all hypervisors, been working with virtualization and cloud for 10 years now.

If i was in charge of configuring GSN, i would set "infinite loop" detectors and make those trigger instance kills. Because that's what everyone does. Sacrifice the problematic instance before it becomes an issue to all other instances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GFN when it launched was ok, but as of late is it totally trash for doing anything interesting in game. Technically it works but good luck flying a ship with 75 active elements, digging, scanning, etc.

I'm super disappointed in NQs response to tickets I've opened, as they often take a week plus to reply, are closed without a dialog, or are ignored all together. 

• 3 weeks later...

NQ

Well, just got the 2nd crash in the 2nd GFN session - Seraph Showroom, walk around, C’est la vie

At least the crash reporter did work to file the issue.

good thing: the DU login credentials are finally being stored in GFN, thumbs up for that

During gameplay the game is pretty much stable nowdays. For me at least. I did have to upgrade my internet connection to get better performance and screen resolution though. I have a 100mbps connection now (in reality gives around 90mbps, more than enough).

What still annoys me is the numerous crashes during startup. I sometimes have to try 3 or more times to get into the game without this exception error message.

Further more I hate the lacking possibilities to use .obj files and uploading custom scripts. This is really limiting gameplay for me.

Also the auto log out after inactivity makes it hard to slowboad to other planets. You have to move your mouse every couple minutes.

PS you also want to avoid playing on WIFI. I use  ethernet  to avoid network interference

@4ntw3rp

The sole reason for me to try out DU on GFN is my 30ish MBit internet connection which is not upgrade-able.

Good enough for GFN at Full HD streaming. GFN servers themselves have a faster internet connection, at least to loading is faster this way for me.

My PC is connected via cable / LAN.

I think Geforce Now is magic !

It managed to bring my old labtop to play DU . Very old !!!

Unbelievable for me... BUT i used it for scanning only as third pc .

Some times its lagging popping up the spotty connection item but never had a serious problem.

Also i simply dont like the timer they have about activity since scanning is a stationary procedure... but i guess it is nice and i like it overall ...

Can be used for streaming also as another pc . Activating a membership removes your waiting time at start and extends playing time to up 4-5 hours but does not remove the activity timer.

Thats all from me...

One of the big issues with Geforce Now is that you start a new cache when you start a session.  So EVERYTHING needs to loads when you arrive there.  This make quite a big hit when you first enter locations, especially those with a lot of ships / elements but once they are loaded and cached your performance should be ok.  It is excellent for stuff in space, or working at your base.  Not so good for going to the market.