The new roadmap .. Discuss ..

Novean-32184

I am not a game dev but a software dev. The "content" that we get each patch that releases every 3+ months looks like there is like 1-2 people working on DU at this point.

At least their burnrate should be low I guess as I barely see anyone paying for whatever we have now or even with ALL of those updates. There will still be no game in there.

Where is the territory control ?

Where is the other solar systems ?

Where is the AvA you planned ?

Where is my space kitten pet ?

Where is any fun game loop that doesn't include spending hours looking at the screen doing nothing ?

15 minutes ago, XKentX said:

I am not a game dev but a software dev. The "content" that we get each patch that releases every 3+ months looks like there is like 1-2 people working on DU at this point.

As a software engineer, imagine a 6-7 year old codebase where senior devs had no idea what they were building because the design was never crystalized. 

Then imagine your boss has never worked in the industry before -- literally has no concept of how games are made, but has very firm ideas about what DU is. Every meeting turns into a rant about the metaverse and Ready Player One. 

Someone asks about how all this will scale. Crickets. Someone wants to know exactly how PvP will work. More crickets. Someone wonders about the 6-7 year timeline to not even get to a beta stage...they probably leave the company. LinkedIn shows that they don't have many (maybe 1 or 2?) devs that have lasted the entire 7+ years DU has been in development. 

My point is that the slow velocity isn't just a question of manpower, it's a logical result of the way in which this game was developed: by an amateur with no industry experience and not enough humility to delegate the things he didn't understand. 

They could hire 100 devs tomorrow and it probably would't make a difference -- there's no simple way to unravel 6+ years of complete mess beyond re-writing the whole damn thing, which is just not feasible. 

I think everyone that's worked in software can see how there's issues here, but IMO it doesn't really matter if NQ has 1, 10, or 100 developers because the codebase is such a cluster it wouldn't matter.

Also, good luck finding 100 skilled Unigen2 devs. I doubt there's 100 skilled Unigen2 devs on the planet...no one has released a large game like this using this game engine, so any dev you hire has to start out learning the engine...so they have a bunch of engineering overhead as if it were a custom engine without any of the benefits. 

13 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

Also, good luck finding 100 skilled Unigen2 devs. I doubt there's 100 skilled Unigen2 devs on the planet...no one has released a large game like this using this game engine, so any dev you hire has to start out learning the engine...so they have a bunch of engineering overhead as if it were a custom engine without any of the benefits. 

To underline this statement, here is the link from Wiki with a few games. Look at the mmorpgs made with this engine, whether they were still being developed and when the last updates were released by the developers.

To cut a long story short: No mmorpg except Dual Universe is still in development or has seen a release. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unigine#Games

----

But I'll jump straight to the other game. The guys also tell you what to expect at the beginning. And that 19 days before early access. And that's what I call transparency. You know what you get for your money. They don't sell it as a beta. Beta would mean it is feature complete (speaking from a software development pov).

unknown.png

FB is already downplaying the sky high expectations because they know they will not be delivering what people expect but have run out of options with regards to more delays.

"technically speaking EA is still Alpha" is just setting up the excuse beforehand. Their language has changed to much more crowdcontrol andl ess brazen, firing shots at others because they know their game is up on the chopping block next.

I for one will not judge Starbase by their EA release, I expect that to be very bumpy. I wil ljudge them on their ability to resolve the issues, get the train rolling and how frequent they produce corrections and fixes to the no doubrt many issues that will start showing up once many get their hands on the game. NQ failed in this respect through JC who just kept up the "you lot just do not understand, why do you keep being so negative" mantra which also was, and still is, heard through a number of the NQ employees.

Nobody was judging how buggy and lacking DU was in the beginning during pre-alpha.

But as the time went by and nothing really changed, it became obvious that DU/NQ was struggling. And having to watch NQ/JC put out rosy red tinted videos and doing interviews saying how great everything was going to be, while at the same time being completely silent in the so called "test forums" whenever anyone would ask hard questions. Well, it is the reason why the forums are what they are today..

And FB really has to mess things up to be the next NQ. I mean sure there are EA launch problems (still nothing compared to how much early DU tests struggled), but they also released a patch 1 day after launch with more fixes then what it would take NQ a month to do.

6 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Nobody was judging how buggy and lacking DU was in the beginning during pre-alpha.

Yeah, if anything, chronical lack of comms and glacial rate of progress/fixing, false adverts for years turned people "toxic" (most of them started as quite optimistic fans, who trusted NQ a lot of money). I myself traveled all way from being rather exited and romantic about DU to deepest depths of resentment over all lies and bullshit we endured.

Even now NQ chosen path of not owning their mistakes, but weasel out (with shameful silent JC getaway, and all this long, euphemistic blogs about "way forward", they kinda dancing around long circles why all this shit happend). On other note, again, its as I undestand it linked to actual dev capacity, that is very small -- roadmap extreamly steatched and thin, like very little people actualy working on it.

To be fair, FB too bit mucked up (this why I not liked Lauri bragging publicly in "comaprison" style with DU) -- they too rolled thing with atrocious fist-time user experience. Contrary to tech problems (they are undenstardable), tutorials and overall starting sequence was well within their grasp to make it better.  

Sure FB is far from perfect. But they are at least trying compared to NQ. I mean game has been in EA two days, and we already have two quick fix patches. Last one on a Saturday no less. At this rate that game will be in NQ 'release' state in a month or so, compared to the years it took NQ.