The new roadmap .. Discuss ..

Novean-32184

How is this roadmap supporting a "hope to release halfway 2022"?

I'd be surprised to see a release  in 2022 at all

And that is really not bad.. If only NQ would come out and set the expectation. For this year, the plans seem reasonable as far as what is achievable. The TBD parts though will take more than a year to complete and there is more to be done .. much more..

What I expect ..

"Mid summer" = late July/early August

"Late summer/early Fall" = 2nd half September

"Fall" = late November/early December

A three month cadence between "major" updates is good. The progress each update shows however is not great. But let's see what NQ delivers ..

On the brightside its good to see that NQ is being more realistic about what they can accomplish. 

On the downside they have really pulled back on things that were coming "the next patch." Energy systems, which are critical to balancing, are nowhere to be seen. Atmo PvP and territory warfare are a distant memory. 

I guess now we just wait and see. Positives and negatives here. 

For me the big positive is that the roadmap as it is now presented is much more achievable for NQ and inline with their progress so far. It feels like that, with JC out of the way, they are coming around to not overpromising all the fancy things but committing to what they can achieve. And that is certainly good.

On the other hand, asteroids without AvA/AvC mechanics really do not make much sense. Once you get a character on the asteroid you are entirely safe, you dig a hole, drop a core and a container and start mining. your container is safe from harm until the area is clear  to be collected. Potentially, this could be interesting for missions though, you mine out the asteroid, then leave a hauler mission for someone to bring it home and the collateral covers any risk..

From what was "promised" in December by JC most is now not even mentioned. There is no word on:

• Energy and power management
  • Player Markets
  • Vertex Editor
  • AvA / AvC / CvA
  • Pets
  • Assembly facilities / Mass construction
  • Territory Warfare
  • Second Solar System
  • Stargates

So indeed, there is good and not so great.. And a fair indication that "release" is at least two years away

6 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

For me the big positive is that the roadmap as it is now presented is much more achievable for NQ and inline with their progress so far. It feels like that, with JC out of the way, they are coming around to not overpromising all the fancy things but committing to what they can achieve. And that is certainly good.

On the other hand, asteroids without AvA/AvC mechanics really do not make much sense. Once you get a character on the asteroid you are entirely safe, you dig a hole, drop a core and a container and start mining. your container is safe from harm until the area is clear  to be collected. Potentially, this could be interesting for missions though, you mine out the asteroid, then leave a hauler mission for someone to bring it home and the collateral covers any risk..

From what was "promised" in December by JC most is now not even mentioned. There is no word on:

• Player Markets
  • Vertex Editor
  • AvA / AvC / CvA
  • Pets
  • Territory Warfare
  • Second Solar System
  • Stargates

So indeed, there is good and not so great.. And a fair indication that "release" is at least two years away

no no no....that's ACTUAL game development....they are gonna leave it up to the players remember? 

1 minute ago, FrigoPorco said:

As far as STAGATES and a NEW SOLAR SYSTEM are concerned: I remember when the game was first announced and they said it would have an ENDLESS NUMBER OF PROCEDURALLY GENERATED SOLAR SYSTEMS and offer UNLIMITED exploration. 

Dual Universe / Дорожная карта и новые инвестиции / ММОзговед

Dual Universe / Обновлённая дорожная карта разработки и планы после запуска  / ММОзговед

1182730219_2021Roadmap.png.f601d733603f997b397b91329b3c1761.png

dcbx5kw-732a7211-7204-4f3b-82c8-a27b5d55

10 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

• Player Markets
  • Vertex Editor
  • AvA / AvC / CvA
  • Pets
  • Territory Warfare
  • Second Solar System
  • Stargates

The roadmap is achievable because its practically empty. This was honestly more disappointing than not releasing a roadmap. At least then we would hope for more girthy teasers.

4 minutes ago, Snipey said:

The roadmap is achievable because its practically empty. This was honestly more disappointing than not releasing a roadmap. At least then we would hope for more girthy teasers.

YUP! nothing here to get me back in this game.

While the roadmap is fairly empty, it is achievable AND if NQ manages to add some cherries into the mix while rolling out these updates, they can boast to be able to over deliver on their promises.. Much better than consistently overpromising and not delivering ..

If NQ manages to not at least deliver on what they outlined here for this year, that would be an entirely different problem as they are now setting goals which should be achievable (even) for them.

1 minute ago, Jake Arver said:

While the roadmap is fairly empty, it is achievable AND if NQ manages to add some cherries into the mix while rolling out these updates, they can boast to be able to over deliver on their promises.. Much better than consistently overpromising and not delivering ..

If NQ manages to not at least deliver on what they outlined here for this year, that would be an entirely different problem as they are now setting goals which should be achievable (even) for them.

They trashed any actual gameplay loops to give a reach around to the end game content and PVP orgs instead of addressing the core of the game like higher tier ore regeneration and the new player experience. Who cares about brutes bashing their faces against each other  when market tools are trash you cant create missions as an org. No way to insure a package other than collateral making people pay 300mil for a 100k profit. This game is a joke when it comes to prioritizing the order of importance. Why is there no deep surface mining experience, caves generate below -6000m why cant we explore those and get resources.  NQ needs to stop listening to the PVP orgs and make the game FUN.

I hadn't spent much time in Empyrion for a few years. But recently I've been playing it a lot. The game is a little gem in space games, much underated I think.

Huge universe that you can get lost in. For single players its a dream of a game. Possibly better than Space Engineers, but not as good building wise, but close.

DU was never going to live upto the hype, but at least they're still here.

2 hours ago, Snipey said:

They trashed any actual gameplay loops to give a reach around to the end game content and PVP orgs instead of addressing the core of the game like higher tier ore regeneration and the new player experience. Who cares about brutes bashing their faces against each other  when market tools are trash you cant create missions as an org. No way to insure a package other than collateral making people pay 300mil for a 100k profit. This game is a joke when it comes to prioritizing the order of importance. Why is there no deep surface mining experience, caves generate below -6000m why cant we explore those and get resources.  NQ needs to stop listening to the PVP orgs and make the game FUN.

That's not entirely true is it?  Asteroids *are* the solution to higher tier ore regeneration -- they contain the higher tier ore and they respawn on a regular basis.  Also I think I can spot the new player experience on there if I look hard enough.  So they're listening to the carebears as well as us brutes!

In terms of collateral/reward for a mission, it sounds like you (or whoever) are creating terrible missions.  I agree that it would be pretty stupid to take a 300M collateral/100K profit mission, so why would anyone put up something like that.  If you want your 300mil of stuff hauled in perfect safety (as in you are guaranteed to either have the stuff or 300 mil) then surely you want to pay someone a bit more than 100K.  Put 3 mil as the reward instead, it's only 1% of the value ...

The road-map looks like it is priotising the items that are in dire need of attention and looks to be achievable for the velocity that NQ has demonstrated so seems like something you can actually imaging them delivering. It feels realistic, and even if they promised twice as much on there, I would only ever have expected them to deliver half - so why just not bs us and just be open and if they over-deliver? Great.

A good move on behalf of NQ as well would be to overlay the roadmap with the player surverys they recently undertook, and demonstrate if the results of that feedback align to their priotisiation to demonstrate they are listening to the playerbase. 

50 minutes ago, Triopalite said:

I hadn't spent much time in Empyrion for a few years. But recently I've been playing it a lot. The game is a little gem in space games, much underated I think.

Huge universe that you can get lost in. For single players its a dream of a game. Possibly better than Space Engineers, but not as good building wise, but close.

DU was never going to live upto the hype, but at least they're still here.

Excellent game, and EVERY DU Dev should be playing it. 

Looks very empty. The next time I'll probably log on to the live server will be when I queue up my talents again for 1 year.

Edit;

And this was posted 9 hours ago. It's for 2021 why does it include March, May, and June? We're in July.

I think we are on a good way and we are reaching closely to the release date !

Also that communication and information to the players before extracting a patch is good to know  . makes you feel better !!!

Good job NQ ! Keep up the good work !!!!!!

Habitant

Habitants Organization

What all these roadmaps have in common is that they never reach the end, most is never executed and half the stuff that is on them nobody who plays cares about.

Its troubling to see that every year further away from the 2016 kickstarter results in less content resembling the kickstarter and more stuff to make clear we are not going to see a release coming years.

Honestly, talking about upgrades and revamps and replacing the intro story while more then half of the stuff that is said to be in DU at kickstarter is not even close to implementation.

btw, was 0.23 (the killer patch) last year or was that left out on purpose?

I would have remained more hopefull for DU if i did not see this roadmap

That is my hope too @Perry666

In the "JC years", NQ has mostly overpromised, painted a much rosier picture than reality and lost a _lot_ of time (I'd say at least 1, probably closer to 2 years) and wasted resources chasing the unattainable promised and goals JC set. Now that JC is gone and we see the first real signs of a more attainable, manageable and achievable set of goals, I for one would be willing to give NQ another chance to show they mean business this time.

If they deliver only on what the latest roadmap shows then yes, that would not be good as it would mean progress is way to slow. If they over-deliver and bring us more than what they set out to do then there is hope for a recovery as I see it. Their abysmal track record so far has very much polarized their community and the responses here certainly show that. I'd say, let them show they actually have the intent and purpose to now move on and deliver a game we can all enjoy.. It's another chance yes, and probably their last one but at least I'd say they should get this opportunity to show what they've got.