IMO, Shields should not block 100% of damage

Shaman

I think that making shields block 100 percent of damage will lead to many pvp ships just being stacks of elements with powerful shields on them, arguably worse than the current gold blocks we have now.

I propose that shields should block something more like 80-90% of damage instead so that you still need honeycomb for pvp ships

to make that even better, you could make it so that shields only block a certain damage type, or are better at blocking some damage types than others, as well as being less effective the larger the size (xs = 95% resistance l = 50% resistance)

To me, it depends if there are several types of shields of just one. 

It there is only one, it should behave as empyrion. 

100% block, but not recharge while taking damage. 

If there are several models, some models would be like empyrion other models should others would continuously recharge but not be 100% effective. 

7 hours ago, Shaman said:

I propose that shields should block something more like 80-90% of damage instead so that you still need honeycomb for pvp ships

But NQ want to get rid of the honeycomb on war ships. The problem PvP is having is it is transmitting huge amounts of data. When ever a ship gets hit, it has to recalculate the ships shape, the it has to transmit that data to all the other ships in range. This is for every single round that makes contact. So there is huge data floating around killngmthe PvP speed and stability.

Now with shields all they have to do is transmit shield got hit at this location, make it glow. Hardly any data at all.

The meta will probably end up being gold (or what ever you can afford) around you seat, the core, the shield generator, the power system, and cheaper comb around your weapons

I would not mind to see a talent similar to what we have in EVE where your skill level determines your ability to mitigate damage getting through the shields. When fully trained, this will only start happening once shields are fully depleted

I say the more hitpoints (honeycomb) you have, the less shield strength, and vice versa. This way you aren't pigeon-holed into still having a lot of armor underneath said shields, and would hopefully bring a bit of balance to ship design.

As long as they are no worse than Elite Dangerous shields...  Those are super simplistic as it is and there's no rhyme or reason to each ship's shield strength.

Star Citizen has the best shield minigame in the business... multi faceted shields, multiple generators, power management, varying shield penetration and damage  by different types of weapons.

15 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

But NQ want to get rid of the honeycomb on war ships. The problem PvP is having is it is transmitting huge amounts of data. When ever a ship gets hit, it has to recalculate the ships shape, the it has to transmit that data to all the other ships in range. This is for every single round that makes contact. So there is huge data floating around killngmthe PvP speed and stability.

Now with shields all they have to do is transmit shield got hit at this location, make it glow. Hardly any data at all.

The meta will probably end up being gold (or what ever you can afford) around you seat, the core, the shield generator, the power system, and cheaper comb around your weapons

I get your point or maybe more NQ s reason behind this. Still it feels like the ever present "boomerang". Great promises of complexity and dynamic. Then basically features get cut back so hard, that it barely surpasses the complexity of a browser game or rng. First mining (at least that seems where it is going), now PvP. And that while it hasn't really started. In comparison to the promises of DU s competitors it is losing ground..

Simple is best. Still recall the old paper way of Shield>Armor>Hull.  Not thinking you can do that here but basics born from tabletop gaming should not be overlooked. Again simple is easier to balance.