Learning institutions that offer paid educational programs

Eternal

I'm not saying that this is a good or bad idea. I'm giving an idea that you should study the viability of before making a decision. 

My proposals are:

1.) Scrap the passive skill system entirely.

2.) Build these learning institutional facilities and let them sell you courses for quanta.

Field > program with level of degrees > prerequisite courses and courses.

One of the purpose of the game is for you to mammonite and spend that money on education that will unlock the skill-gated contents and make you a more productive individual. This will replace that garbage passive skill system. You need active in-game content! I proposed this during earlier development of this game and the people from Eve wanted to make this game entirely player-driven. It doesn't work! Believe me, I lobbied against that passive skill system!

You will work for money => you will spend it in education => you become more productive, thus your income grows => you will continue to improve your productivity by investing in education and never stop learning until you have learned everything and NQ offers more advanced technology for us to learn.

That is the activity regarding the skill system (I call it "educational system") and this system has vertical progression (major) and horizontal progression (jack-of-trades).

3.) And for god's sake, remove that daily quanta allowance per account! That is the same as daily login reward! It just devaluates work in this game! 

4.) Remove the market bots and give us ways to earn money through active input. The market bots is one of the reason in this game why the economy is broken. Now that we have a money-sink (which is my proposal #2), you can remove the bots! 

5.) Introduce more money-sinks through services and items that is exclusively from the NPC alone (example: medical consumables that can only be acquired from the NPC), in that case, we can finally have a market economy without these bots regulating what we buy/sell. When you create money, you gonna destroy money, otherwise the economy doesn't work! 

It's been nearly a year I've allowed myself to post opinion about the game. I escaped with the pretense of the situation and some strange-found duty, which has been a rocky journey, harder and bumpier than I soon expected to last. Everyone is fretting about pvp as before, now that asteroid mining is probably setting outside safe zone as it should. A player that brought me back to DU so fast was wondering today if he should post his strong opinion on pvp on the forums and I stole the chance to post.

I do agree on points in opening post. Make education worth, make it a real money sink, make it a real replenishing source of value and enlightenment to players. By this I mean, in regards to aopening post, instead of skipping conversations that explain different metas used and found out by players before, the game or players would somehow be able to update these 'metas' or 'warfare products' to sell in a peer-reviewed education system, so that it would be the value, in understanding to discover instead of merit or course to just skip fast and gain access to real value with. I see this is at place already in industry side of institutions for the and very neccessary basic levels of it.

Let players create black markets for each other by rapidly decreasing reputation of civilian freighter raids for pirate versus player gameplay, excluding them from public markets for long periods.

This way natural but unwanted pirates would get freighter "newbees" something to backslash with in the back of the blade of piracy even in a hopeless loss. Aphelia openly supporting piracy is in my view, just wrong, but what would you expect from an intrinsically blind AI. A workaround for multi-account players existing, still a little annoying.

On the other hand my fellow conversationalist openly wanted to safe zone all unarmed vessels everywhere, I think something like a reputation or an instant karma loss would be a fair middleground for pvp in this regards.

How does this tie to the institutions and learning skills in them?

My vision of course on combat (education) is both sides know the basics and even more at least of warfare and know the most common metas, how to try counter them effectively when spotted. where spreading of knowledge levels the playground enough to form enjoyable and enlightening information on the go and causality in actions from combat results. To have actual lessons instead of just repeating bad results in the losing side, and honing of skill to stay winner requirement on the winning side.

I wish from 'pvp' the 'metas' would evolve and revolve fast, so that you would not get bored/stuck on the same stuff working over and over effectively for and against you and that it would be dynamic/emergent, not just dev update driven. What I don't want to see personally, is an AI devil / angel tutorializing and moralizing live on my actions in the game as if it knew exactly what I did wrong in a complicated combat situation. I would welcome personally a learning path opening up from every loss I would have to pay play money to discover in a sanctified location of learning afterwards, or better still, before.

How was I defeated? Beam weapons. Give me a course on beam weapon metas I will gladly pay. No, I don't want just a talking head, I don't trust others' judgements either, I trust only my defeat to adversity, so show me the power. I see that it's cutting through carbon. It's cutting through iron. steel. Wait, I had only steel. I now know -- I will pay more to fix it...

NQ know best

Sidenote, I like the current trend in gaming, where devs are forgiven their past mistakes very easily, if the mistakes weren't just blatant and bad. The trend in which new features and attempts to fix the gameplay for a better deliverance is welcomed by the bulk revisiting the game, and re-evaluated on the spot fairly on merits and reflected on responses and often likes karma.

A passive skill system is not a content, which means this is a completely player-driven game. You know, I started following and supporting this game from the first time I've heard of it, which is back in 2017. I was arguing with people from Eve to put contents in this game and not make it completely player-driven. One of my proposal is skill-gating the game through engagement. What they proposed is this passive skill system and leaving everything else to the players, with no content. We are playing that game right now and it does not work! I've pointed out the problems why it doesn't work based on that game that we are playing right now. This is what I worry about Starbase as well: it might end up like this -- it is the same design and people are gonna play it with the same mentality.

One of the reason--and a big reason--why people do not like Eve is it is group-based. Do you think this society will offer you equity when contributions are dictated by the market? When there are too many contributing slaves who don't ask for anything in return, your demand means nothing as you are highly replaceable. You want to negotiate? There is no need, I don't need you! Look at Terran Union, the merger "Empire", DSI, and New Genesis, and how easily they acquired their manpower at the cost of nothing and without recruitment process. No recruitment process means they will take every slave they can get. It is a number's game and it's been like that since they opened the org directory. This is the game and this is what every completely player-driven game is! If the only content you got is PVP, you will play it like an ant (group-based). But if you got character-based PVE and you got PVP, you will play it in a group but play it for yourself because you have personal necessities as the game has personal progression. Look at Revelation Online: it is PvPvE. They are playing it like that: they are playing it socially but for themselves. This is what I need this game to be and you cannot do that with no content! Leave them all to people's creativity? That means you have no content! This is my argument with people from Eve: where is the content man?! Your dream is an illusion man, it does not work! Keep them greedy so they will play the game for themselves when they have personal greed! That is the motivation! Add a deep educational system, let them mammonite and continue to invest in education so they can become like Tesla and Elon Musk who are highly productive people, and highly productive people yields greater result. Let them succumb to this personal greed and aspiration of continuing and continuing to improve and what you will get is an engaging game. You cannot get engaged with no motivation! The motivation is an in-game progression! Make this progression deep and what you get is an added immersion!

You know, if you make this game more skill-gated (ability of the character) like what I'm proposing than actually skill-based (ability of the player playing it), you are making the game easier for people to get into, and right now, this game is too difficult and too difficult to get into, it is not playable! Make it more playable, make it more accessible, so the game is less of a niche and therefore we can get more players to play this game! You can't make this game entirely skill-based (ability of the player playing it)! That is elitism, and a lot of people here are elitists, so they will disagree with this opinion! Make this less of an elitist game or it is only you who will play it! This is why people here prefer this passive skill system: they are anti-skill-gate so they want a skill system that requires no effort, they are elitists! I'm 20 years old and everyone here is older than me. They are smarter than me because they have more experience in life. It is obvious! What? You want this game to become Ready Player One where the game is based on your skills in real-life? Make this game dumber so everybody can play it! Make it more based on your decisions--and effort-- regarding character development than real-life skills to make it playable! For the average person, Ready Player One MMO is like going into Singaporean politics against PAP and without the credentials! Why even do it in the first place when you are not eligible? An MMO has always been about decision-making and strategy based on your understanding of the mechanics and effort towards character building, not real-life technical skills with a passive skill system that makes everybody equal, making it a skill-based game (like Crowfall for example)! Are we actually building a character as every other RPGs or are we training ourselves in real-life to compete in this virtual sport?

I had a lot of discussion about this game from the past with the MMO community from other MMOs. One big thing that they told me why they didn't like this game is the odd passive skill system that they tried for the first time. Most of them do not like it! Take that as a feedback! I tried it for the first time as well from this game. I also do not like it from the reasons that I described from this comment!

Majority of the MMO community do not like a passive skill system! I don't care if the majority here do! They cannot keep this game alive! I will fight for it with my opinion! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, Eternal said:

A passive skill system is not a content, which means this is a completely player-driven game. You know, I started following and supporting this game from the first time I've heard of it, which is back in 2017. I was arguing with people from Eve to put contents in this game and not make it completely player-driven. One of my proposal is skill-gating the game through engagement. What they proposed is this passive skill system and leaving everything else to the players, with no content. We are playing that game right now and it does not work! I've pointed out the problems why it doesn't work based on that game that we are playing right now. This is what I worry about Starbase as well: it might end up like this -- it is the same design and people are gonna play it with the same mentality.

Player content can carry a game quite a ways, but there needs to be non-player content for a while until the players get stuff started.

One of the reason--and a big reason--why people do not like Eve is it is group-based. 

It is an MMO, the entire idea is group play, and EVE has been running for almost two decades. It isn't a game for everyone, no game is, but a lot of people love it and have kept it going this long.

As for how groups play, you will have small groups of friends that just play for fun and train wherever, and you will have empires built on taxes/slave labor, and you will have large organized groups that divide their skill training optimally and play with militant efficiency. It is multiplayer, it is persistent, someone will come out on top, and as such someone else will be on the bottom, and as a persistent-world MMO this can't be changed.

You can't make this game entirely skill-based (ability of the player playing it)! That is elitism, and a lot of people here are elitists, so they will disagree with this opinion! Make this less of an elitist game or it is only you who will play it! This is why people here prefer this passive skill system: they are anti-skill-gate so they want a skill system that requires no effort, they are elitists! 

<InigoMontoya>I do not think that word means what you think it means.</InigoMontoya> 

An MMO has always been about decision-making and strategy based on your understanding of the mechanics and effort towards character building, not real-life technical skills with a passive skill system that makes everybody equal, making it a skill-based game (like Crowfall for example)! Are we actually building a character as every other RPGs or are we training ourselves in real-life to compete in this virtual sport?

Crowfall may be an MMO, but now that you mention it you seem to be broadly describing RPG stuff, not mmo stuff. DU isn't an rpg, its a sim. People can like both, and games can include elements of both, but broadly speaking sim and rpg are meant for different audiences, and complaining that a sim isn't an rpg is just silly.

I want more people in this game, but I also want to play this game, and not WoW. If this were just another WoW-clone with a few different features and a different skin, most of its player base would probably be somewhere else. I recognize that this game differs from the rpg you are used to quite extremely, and it makes this game seem needlessly hard (same way I felt when I went from WoW to EVE, except gravity and atmo-heating weren't also trying to kill me in EVE like they do in DU), but trying to simplify a simulation down in to an RPG isn't going to get that many more people, and it would cost near all the ones already here.