Feedback on Windows 11 compatibility after NQ announcement

Novean-32184

Outside of the existing less than optimal implementation of monitor settings:

• Available resolution based on what the OS gives you, not what the monitor(s) support(s)
  • Scaling is not ignored for the same reason
  • No option to select which monitor to display on
  • Standard system options to redirect (and open) on another monitor are ignored (SHIFT-WINDOWS-ARROWLEFT). Redirect works but restart returns to main screen

DU works pretty much as expected on the initial insiders build with no real issues.

Regarding OS support,

I just wish they would commit to a Linux build sooner rather than later. Anything built with a Linux stack can be easily ported to Windows, but not the other way around. Windows is also known to be very inefficient, which is something you do not really want when using compute and graphical compute for a came like this.

4 minutes ago, Infinite_Matt said:

Anything built with a Linux stack can be easily ported to Windows, but not the other way around.

DU has been in development for over 6 years, so it isn't like they can just switch to developing on Linux. Porting is always more complex and time-consuming than people think...no matter what stack you use, you need expanded QA pipelines to actually test multiple platforms. DU's dev is slow enough as it is. 

And why would they bother...? It's a waste of time considering <1% of gamers use Linux as their OS. 

• 9 months later...

Personally, I liked Windows 11 primarily due to the appearance. OS designers not only borrowed ideas, but also implemented their own, for example, they cut out "live" tiles at the root. Instead, the redesigned Start menu contains a list of applications that can be flexibly configured, for example, by placing frequently used applications there. For those who are used to opening programs through search, this change, however, will be of little use. I definitely won't go back to windows 10, besides I won't have to get new activation keys. You can forget about it.

Edited by jessieba

• 1 month later...