Petition to upgrade the mission system to be more viable

Warlander

The addition to the mission system is a good start but like all NQ updates they lack depth or thought into what the system needs to be fully viable or to tempt people to leave the bubble runs.

Considering if you have anyy ship that has more than 1 L Container you are wasting resources. And really you only need a S Dynamic Core ship since it has enough space for efficiency/expansion/optimization and really anything larger is overkill or totally inefficient for what the mission system requires.

Not to mention that once you get a ship optimized for bubble runs you pretty much make just as much or more then not going outside the bubble since you cannot warp and you face a 90% chance of being PvPed by scripts and the 8hr roadtrip you can make just as much ore more just avoiding it and staying in the bubble and keeping 100% of what you make vs losing 20mil in the process to make potentially 9 mil. Nobody in their right mind will do that.

The other issue is that you should be able to choose when you take a mission how many packages you want to take for that mission and at the very least allow people to fill a 10 link worth of containers and make 10 L-XL Containers a viable option for running missions to allow for larger haulers to be a thing instead of S Core ships only. This needs to happen as it presents challenges and added difficulty to the missions with weight, gas, etc for the benefits you gain.

Also for the out of bubble missions NQ really needs to double/tripple the rewards to make them a tempting viable option for the added danger you face with a 90% chance to lose your ship or with the above mentioned option to pick up more packages and fill a 10 link of 10 L-XL containers it makes it much more lucrative if you get through but also gives PvPers more than base min 20mil S Core ships to fight.

The other thing that needs to happen is that if you cant warp then the 30K speed limit needs to go if Warping is being phased out and you are just giving PvPers a fish in a barrel shooting gallery. If you are flying through deep space you should be able to go as fast as your ship can go and potentially outrun PvPers sitting in a lane who dont have to do anything but run their PvP scripts and blow up everything since missles seem to not be bound to speed limits and can catch up even if the ship launching the missles is sitting still. Seeing as warping adds more cost to the mission then you would make doing them there really is no reason to not allow it since you can make 9mil and PvPers make at least 20mil base doing nothing but sitting and running scripts.

It needs a lot more work for sure.

So I do agree mission system needs some iteration but I’m not sure all of your ideas are well thought out.

The mission system within the safe zone is about right to be honest, will take most people 1 hour 15 minutes or so for 950k isn’t it or maybe 900k.

I'm not sure it should be made any harder or made any more lucrative as the risk is negligible, perhaps a bad re-entry but that’s probably about it?

as for the idea of being able to take more than one package, this is a big issue for safe zone as it would make quanta very easy to obtain.

the non safe zone missions aren’t that bad, where are you getting 90 percent from? I’m sure if your out of the pipe the chances of you getting popped aren’t 90 percent.

The 30k speed limit probably can’t be removed without causing performance issues, besides your speed is already theoretically limited to brake power.

id say the issues here are:

1. The use of scripts to catch people (personally think it’s a good innovation)

2. Missiles are said to follow you for a long period of time if true maybe needs a look.

3. When you brake is when you’re probably most vulnerable because this gives ppvpers time to catch up though I’d argue you’d need to increase your braking power as a counter so you can brake later, it shouldn’t be impossible to slow from 30 to 0 within a planets safe zone if you have the right approach with the right talents and ship.

you assert that papers make money, I doubt they make any money I expect they lose money.

just because your ship is worth 20 mill doesn’t mean it is still worth 20 mill after it has been shot to all hell, especially when you take into account battle damage and ammo.

if anything pvpers need more of an incentive to pvp and whilst no one likes getting blown up it’s necessary for the game to thrive.

another point of contention is the use of alts to run missions.

i have 10 alts and if I wanted I could load 10 missions on a ship and make bank, whether this should continue is up for discussion, my personal take is that some sort of limits need enforcing.

all this being said I do think the missions need to somehow be fun or more engaging - how that is achieved is anyone’s guess.

credit where credit is due though the missions equate to a game loop that enable a number of play styles so I think it is a net gain, I wouldn’t be opposed to them continuing with additional loops and parking this one for now. Only concern being is the inflation that alts will cause if that isn’t addressed 

1 hour ago, bleakcon said:

The mission system within the safe zone is about right to be honest, will take most people 1 hour 15 minutes or so for 950k isn’t it or maybe 900k.

I'm not sure it should be made any harder or made any more lucrative as the risk is negligible, perhaps a bad re-entry but that’s probably about it?

To compare mining a mill takes less time, and zero risk except for potentially crashing your transporter.

And more importantly. Neither sitting in a cockpit looking at stars for an hour, or being down in the dirt developing repetitive strain injury in your mouse hand is something that makes people want to play the game.

And the PvP missions seem to be high risk, and not that big reward type of deals. And again, very time consuming so there is not only the quanta that is lost.

3 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

To compare mining a mill takes less time, and zero risk except for potentially crashing your transporter.

And more importantly. Neither sitting in a cockpit looking at stars for an hour, or being down in the dirt developing repetitive strain injury in your mouse hand is something that makes people want to play the game.

I think I addressed this as being the core issue to missions is that they need to be fun and engaging but as to how that is achieved -   No idea

2 minutes ago, bleakcon said:

I think I addressed this as being the core issue to missions is that they need to be fun and engaging but as to how that is achieved -   No idea

That is something NQ should have had the solution for, before they even wrote a single line of game code..

35 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

That is something NQ should have had the solution for, before they even wrote a single line of game code..

Agree but they didn’t and I’m just saying that the ideas by op will cause other issues, the solution is elusive 

On 6/25/2021 at 4:23 PM, Warlander said:

Not to mention that once you get a ship optimized for bubble runs you pretty much make just as much or more then not going outside the bubble since you cannot warp and you face a 90% chance of being PvPed by scripts and the 8hr roadtrip you can make just as much ore more just avoiding it and staying in the bubble and keeping 100% of what you make vs losing 20mil in the process to make potentially 9 mil. Nobody in their right mind will do that.

I was running missions in space ALL weekend, was in pvp space for about 80% of my gametime, didnt even see a pirate let alone get shot at.  Where do you get your 90% from or did you just completely make it up? 

Also it is easy to do missions in large ships, you just need some friends, carry missions for them.

For the mission system to really find its place, NQ will need to bring the ore prices back to where they were before the 0.23 fallout, so if bots stick around their buy orders need to come down by 50%.

11 hours ago, Honvik said:

Nowhere near 90% chance to be hit in PVP space.  I've been caught 2 times and guess what I had an armoured hauler and escaped (even fired back). Its made of steel not Carbon.  Rest of the time not been hit at all...

Quite amusing that someone should start a petition for changes to a system they clearly havent used.

Not doing missions but if i read correct, all missions come from NQ, then please delete the whole system. This is an mmo with no NPC, please dont bring in singleplayer stuff in an mmo.

And if im wrong, already told you, not doing the missions just reading this post. If missions are needed then only missions from other players, and if that doesnt work, well tada there is the answer (btw missions from other players are called Jobs, hmmmmm).

On the point of markets, all bots should be killed! Even ore is freakishly easy to get.

Another bubbler too scared to get out of safezone tells other what to petition and how the game should be changed.

Yea sure, like with XS cores, you wanted to nerf them now you cry you can't afford L to pvp...

18 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

Not doing missions but if i read correct, all missions come from NQ, then please delete the whole system. This is an mmo with no NPC, please dont bring in singleplayer stuff in an mmo.

And if im wrong, already told you, not doing the missions just reading this post. If missions are needed then only missions from other players, and if that doesnt work, well tada there is the answer (btw missions from other players are called Jobs, hmmmmm).

On the point of markets, all bots should be killed! Even ore is freakishly easy to get.

No you are not reading correctly, again it is far easier to actually have a opinion on something if you have used it.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:54 AM, Kobayashi said:

Quite amusing that someone should start a petition for changes to a system they clearly havent used.

Me?  I have so dont know where your coming from with that one lol

2 hours ago, Honvik said:

Me?  I have so dont know where your coming from with that one lol

Sorry I was agreeing with you and saying it is funny the OP has started a petition without actually experiencing the mission system.  His 90% comment is based on thin air and bias.

13 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

No you are not reading correctly, again it is far easier to actually have a opinion on something if you have used it.

• Hauling Missions - Your Alioth hostess with the mostess, Aphelia, or other players will request delivery of goods from Point A to Point B. You’ll be handsomely rewarded for successfully completing the mission. These missions adhere to a particular list of parameters that includes specific locations, time limits, and collateral. 
  • The Job Forum -  Earn some cold, hard quanta by accepting freeform contracts from fellow players to perform a service, such as fuel deliveries or providing security.  
  • Challenges -  This repeatable, solo-player activity takes place outside the persistent game world, making it a perfect opportunity for new players to get a feel for maneuvering a ship without compromising a “real” one. More experienced pilots will also find challenges fun and financially rewarding. Enter a designated VR surrogate station, complete the objectives, and watch your wallet swell with pride.
    Note: Additional challenge types will be added over time. 

Indeed, some parts are player run, but most of this is just non-player. so I still have the same opinion on the non-player-content

On 6/28/2021 at 10:08 PM, Honvik said:

Nowhere near 90% chance to be hit in PVP space.  I've been caught 2 times and guess what I had an armoured hauler and escaped (even fired back). Its made of steel not Carbon.  Rest of the time not been hit at all...

I had a scare once, but it is probably not even 10 percent unless the pilot is running it down the pipe.........

Missions are ok, they are a one up on the RSI-inducing activity that was mining.

10 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:
  • Hauling Missions - Your Alioth hostess with the mostess, Aphelia, or other players will request delivery of goods from Point A to Point B. You’ll be handsomely rewarded for successfully completing the mission. These missions adhere to a particular list of parameters that includes specific locations, time limits, and collateral. 
  • The Job Forum -  Earn some cold, hard quanta by accepting freeform contracts from fellow players to perform a service, such as fuel deliveries or providing security.  
  • Challenges -  This repeatable, solo-player activity takes place outside the persistent game world, making it a perfect opportunity for new players to get a feel for maneuvering a ship without compromising a “real” one. More experienced pilots will also find challenges fun and financially rewarding. Enter a designated VR surrogate station, complete the objectives, and watch your wallet swell with pride.
    Note: Additional challenge types will be added over time. 

Indeed, some parts are player run, but most of this is just non-player. so I still have the same opinion on the non-player-content

Ok, will give you some actual feedback from someone who has used the system.

Hauling Mission - their are two types, a series of static NPC mission which contain various mission types some of which require the potential of pvp (something massively lacking in the game)
Player made hauling missions - these are similar but are created by players using an actual gameplay loop.  These were actually very popular at the weekend, at one point there were multiple pages of player hauling missions
Job Forums - this is more of an ad hoc system, people were using it for loads of things, posting mission but also advertising.  It is minimal but it works, although there is a lot NQ can do to improve it
Challenges - I havent done any but i will give them a try, they appear to be instanced mini mission mainly designed for new players to get into the game and control without risking ships

All in all it is a solid if basic system which it appears they have left open to be expanded, it will be interesting to see which of the other mission types they are able to create actual mission loops for, some are much harder than other in a player made game. 

As someone who has really wanted more risk to my gameplay, I have really enjoyed the pvp zone missions.  Slow boating is not a massive issue for me, I just take some materials and work on the ship interior on the way or mess about with LUA.  I also welcome any addition to the game which allows players to communicate with each other and sell services, it is an area which is lacking.  I would really like to see much more it.

It part I agree about NPC content, i would prefer not to have but where the game is now, it needs it.  Hopefully player made content will overtake it but that is down to the players.

3 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

It part I agree about NPC content, i would prefer not to have but where the game is now, it needs it.  Hopefully player made content will overtake it but that is down to the players.

Good clear explanation, i did some challanges myself to test the system but i did not like them much, its more a tutorial with larger reward.

and i agree with you on the part i quoted and i hope players will take over. i do need to build alot of beach resorts and I hope that in time i can actually use this system for it.