Just about rage quit yesterday

CoyoteNZ

7 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

Was postponed and 29 July as the new target. Is that a bummer? Yes, of course. Nobody likes postponements. But they can be forgiven for not charging and opening the game to people yet and continuing to maintain a communication. On discord and their YT channel they explain why and what is coming in the next months. They care about a first impression, you only have one of those.

mid May, then June, now end July .... this is a familiar software pattern for problematic developments with poor management. It is actually a really bad sign, but hopefully they will figure it out as I am certainly interested in taking a look. Options are never a bad thing.

8 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

Was postponed and 29 July as the new target. Is that a bummer? Yes, of course. Nobody likes postponements. But they can be forgiven for not charging and opening the game to people yet and continuing to maintain a communication. On discord and their YT channel they explain why and what is coming in the next months. They care about a first impression, you only have one of those.

And watching yesterday's video, I'm extremely excited about what's coming after the early access launch.

We are already just into the 7th month inside this year and so far no information about territorial warfare from NQ. 

Might be good, don't know.
But what I DO know is that I really don't like the voice of that woman ... she sounds like those clerks (in USA) who work at some store and always put an ARTIFICIAL SMILE and talk to you with a squeaky "sweet" voice but actually hate their job and are dead inside. Or like those hired female voiceover people for some Techno Channels on YouTube when you just FEEL that she absolutely has no idea about the subject matter and is just reading a script.
This one here also sounds as if she is smiling the whole time while explaining to us how to obliterate each other with capital ships and fighters, lol.

55 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

But what I DO know is that I really don't like the voice of that woman ...

I thought it was a synthesized voice myself... and not one of the latest generation algorithms either. But it could have been a natural voice that was post processed (e.g. autotune) to sound like that.

2 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Might be good, don't know.
But what I DO know is that I really don't like the voice of that woman ... she sounds like those clerks (in USA) who work at some store and always put an ARTIFICIAL SMILE and talk to you with a squeaky "sweet" voice but actually hate their job and are dead inside. Or like those hired female voiceover people for some Techno Channels on YouTube when you just FEEL that she absolutely has no idea about the subject matter and is just reading a script.
This one here also sounds as if she is smiling the whole time while explaining to us how to obliterate each other with capital ships and fighters, lol.

She is Finnish and speaks English. You can hear the accent. Check the twitch channel, she literally talks all the time this way. But sure, in the end, such videos are always scripted. :D

3 hours ago, Cheith said:

mid May, then June, now end July .... this is a familiar software pattern for problematic developments with poor management. It is actually a really bad sign, but hopefully they will figure it out as I am certainly interested in taking a look. Options are never a bad thing.

As I wrote in the other post, it was originally set for the end of 2020. You can see it however you want, since they develop everything internally and don't rely on an external engine or other modules. Since I don't know their processes, I'm not going to allow myself an opinion here other than what they communicate to us, and they do that enough. These guys have been doing this for 15 years, have developed games, including Trine series, under the same CEO who was involved from the beginning in... 2005? 

On 6/21/2021 at 10:36 PM, GraXXoR said:

It’s easy to severely underestimate one’s speed when flying in 3rd person. Especially if you’re flying a Lage construct. Things seem to glide by so slowly even at multiple hundred kph. 

100kph is 60mph that would do some SERIOUS damage IRL. 

to put this into perspective Titanic’s top speed was just 40kph!

imagine hitting solid rock at 2.5x the seed of the titanic. Admitted, the titanic was 2x the length that of an L core, but still…

It is easy to start to think of 100kph as slow.

And i would definitely expect the Landing gear to be totally destroyed.  Even other elements around it maybe.  The problem is the weird chain reaction of damage that happened that totally destroyed elements all across the interior of the ship.  Landing gear shouldn't explode, causing atmo brakes to explode, causing a command seat and a rez node in the center of the ship to explode.

If i had the Fuel tanks down there and clipped those on a rock i suppose that would make sense.

Maybe they should give elements some kind of explosive rating.  And have some more explosive then others.

But really until they perfect it, i think it would be nice if collision damage was just a bit less harsh in general.

1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

It is easy to start to think of 100kph as slow.

And i would definitely expect the Landing gear to be totally destroyed.  Even other elements around it maybe.  The problem is the weird chain reaction of damage that happened that totally destroyed elements all across the interior of the ship.  Landing gear shouldn't explode, causing atmo brakes to explode, causing a command seat and a rez node in the center of the ship to explode.

If i had the Fuel tanks down there and clipped those on a rock i suppose that would make sense.

Maybe they should give elements some kind of explosive rating.  And have some more explosive then others.

But really until they perfect it, i think it would be nice if collision damage was just a bit less harsh in general.

Yeah, I understand where you’re coming from but that would require NQ to add another hidden attribute (volatility/explosivity) to each item which, given 400 odd elements, (I pulled that number from my arse, I have no idea how many elements this game has) would probably take them about 1200 days to complete and that’s before the single high-school, work-experience intern who is apparently responsible for all of NQ’s code this past year, is whipped into action to work on the logic. 

poor kid. ?

also the fact that voxels don’t in any way protect the ship is just plain silly considering that collisions are a core mechanic in any space game, it’s surprising how little effort has been put into developing it.

I know that comparing a game to real life is a bit pointless, but remember the concord that was destroyed leading to a no survivor crash?  All that happened was that the concord's landing gear  hit a piece of a debris from a previous plane that had apparently been damaged on landing.. The piece of debris punctured a tire and as the plane sped up, a part of the tire flicked up into the engine cowling, penetrating it and caused catastrophic and complete engine failure and conflagration and within a few seconds half of the plane was burning... The plane crashed seconds later, leading to the death of all 109 souls on board.

Concorde_Air_France_Flight_4590_fire_on_

Or what about the Columbia shuttle disaster?   As the shuttle is taking off, a fragment of insulation towards the front of the main external tank breaks off and strikes the leading edge of one of the wings.
The damage went unnoticed in ascent but caused the wing to disintegrate on return descent.

I'm only saying this becuase chain reactions leading from minor, seemingly inconsequential damage (a popped tire on a vehicle that has a dozen tires,  I peice of foam of all materials causing fatal damage can indeed happen.

As I said, though, the damage system is broken.... but for different reasons.

There's an expression we say in Japan, "If the wind blows, even barrel makers can profit."  風が吹けば桶屋が儲かる。
Which is kind of the Japanese version of the Butterfly Effect.

To my understanding the crash and damage model in DU is very simplistic.

When you hit something, a number is calculated using the entire construct speed and mass. And then based on this number a certain size of 'damage sphere' is projected from the hit point, and everything that falls within this area is assigned damage. Meaning flying into a brick wall or just touching something with your wingtip or something like that, will be the considered the same since there aren't any kind of structural integrity (crumple zones) or mass distribution calculations done during a crash.

The good old days when we asked NQ about collisions and instead of NQ, the "white knights of never ending JC faith" made us look like idiots making idiotic questions. 

"there wont ever be a colision issue because there wont be colision damage" 

"ok there will be collision damage but only to the moving ship!!! You cant go wrong with this aproach!!" 

Now. We have the reality.. 

On 6/25/2021 at 11:39 PM, joaocordeiro said:

The good old days when we asked NQ about collisions and instead of NQ, the "white knights of never ending JC faith" made us look like idiots making idiotic questions. 

"there wont ever be a colision issue because there wont be colision damage" 

"ok there will be collision damage but only to the moving ship!!! You cant go wrong with this aproach!!" 

Now. We have the reality.. 

truth!  The number of times direction (I mean direction as in arrow, not manager) has changed in this game is occasionally worrying. 

On 6/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, CptLoRes said:

To my understanding the crash and damage model in DU is very simplistic.

When you hit something, a number is calculated using the entire construct speed and mass. And then based on this number a certain size of 'damage sphere' is projected from the hit point, and everything that falls within this area is assigned damage. Meaning flying into a brick wall or just touching something with your wingtip or something like that, will be the considered the same since there aren't any kind of structural integrity (crumple zones) or mass distribution calculations done during a crash.

yes. The damage is element only and based on mass and velocity and distance from touching point.  
and since voxels add to mass, they contribute to damage but not protect.