Just about rage quit yesterday

CoyoteNZ

My fault, flew to Symeon for first time,

I was way heavy and crashed, destroyed every single element in my ship.

Rez back to Madis as no base on Symeon yet. Posted a million for a taxi ride back. High price for quick uptake.

got to planet, placed a TCU a xs core and a Rez node in case  I need it on Symeon again (hint, I did)

Return to my ship, using surface gathering and nanopack to make scrap I repaired my entire ship from red to just yellow with T1 scrap. Took two hrs.

Took off. Nope, i’m Two heavy. Try to land, didn’t go well. Walk back from my new Rez node. Every single element on my ship was destroyed again ?

Back to surface gathering, making scrap, repairing my ship. Did the outside, took 1.5 hrs. Jump on the ship to go and do the inside. It all of a sudden decides to regain its motion, flys a bit with me on the roof, crashes, destroyed everything I had just spent 1.5 hrs repairing.

Man was I seeing red!

You don’t actually need scrap to turn an element from red to yellow. 

you can use scrap if you want, but the first HP is actually free if you select an empty scrap slot. 

When you run out of scrap you can still fix an element to 1 hp so long as you have at least one scrap type (even if it’s greeted out and empty) in your scraps shortcuts list on the right. 

now, you’ll be a smoking mess if all your elements are at 1hp and you likely won’t be able to fly the ship in first person but at least you can operate your ship to some extent. 

Just thought you should know. 

32 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

you can use scrap if you want, but the first HP is actually free if you select an empty scrap slot. 

I too thought that you could repair for free but this bug is not what you think. The bug that you are referencing actually consumes the scrap that is not selected. Jot down the amount of scrap you have and switch to a type you don't have. After you repair with the type you don't have, look back at the type you do have and see that it was consumed.

Interesting. Thank you for the observation!!! I had just assumed it was a simple bug that would probably get patched at a later date. 

they really need some kind of bulk element repair tool. 

fixing elements one by one is one of the least fun things I’ve had to do in any game I’ve ever played. 

and doing it twice. Bletch. 

6 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Interesting. Thank you for the observation!!! I had just assumed it was a simple bug that would probably get patched at a later date. 

they really need some kind of bulk element repair tool. 

fixing elements one by one is one of the least fun things I’ve had to do in any game I’ve ever played. 

and doing it twice. Bletch. 

# mission system? You could have a contractor repair it. But I guess interaction is not a big thing in DU so far. Also I agree repairing a fully crashed ship is no fun. On the other hand if you enable ppl to easily DIY everything, it will prevent interaction

8 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

You don’t actually need scrap to turn an element from red to yellow. 

You don't have to have it equipped, but the scrap will automatically be deducted from your available. if you're unlucky, you'll burn a T5 scrap with 100 points.

We all been there... 

Some with S ships others with L ships... 

Once i exploded my ship (all parts red) by bumping my ship against a market pilar at 50km/h. (i had 100kl of gold in the cargo) and respawned back in alioth.... 

I know the mathematical calculation is right. But games are also about fun, not just math... 

I think NQ should revise colision damage calculations. To make it less damaging. 

Crashes are a common thing and even more common with new/casual players. Having to repair an entire ship is a massive pain that a new player may not be willing to suffer. 

True, the collision model is wrong. If your small ship, weighting 800t and having speed like 200km/h accidentally hit one voxel strong pillar from aluminium, the ship should have some scratches and the pillar should move. 

13 minutes ago, tomasco said:

True, the collision model is wrong. If your small ship, weighting 800t and having speed like 200km/h accidentally hit one voxel strong pillar from aluminium, the ship should have some scratches and the pillar should move. 

I think one possible solution would be to calculate a "structural integrity" value. 

The more voxels your ship has(or voxel HP) the more "structural integrity" it has. 

And then reduce the damage taken from collisions based on that "structural integrity". 

The game’s collision mechanics are (no pun intended) complete broken. 

in PVP voxels protect your ship’s innards from fire. But in collisions, the more voxels you have, the MORE damage the elements inside take. 

it’s absolute nonsense. I keep mentioning him, but that secondary school work-experience intern sure has programmed a lot of systems in this game. 

I was flying at maybe 100km/h and bumped the top of a surface node with my landing gear and boink i'm a few hundred SU away back on Alioth at my rez node.  Somehow it set off a chain reaction that destroyed the command seat, rez node, and almost every element inside my ship, but not a single one on the exterior was damaged. =/

I get it that repairs can't be instant in PVP.  But outside PVP i think they should be nearly instant.

Let me pay to repair my ship with Quanta, not my time.

1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I was flying at maybe 100km/h and bumped the top of a surface node with my landing gear and boink i'm a few hundred SU away back on Alioth at my rez node.  Somehow it set off a chain reaction that destroyed the command seat, rez node, and almost every element inside my ship, but not a single one on the exterior was damaged. =/

I get it that repairs can't be instant in PVP.  But outside PVP i think they should be nearly instant.

Let me pay to repair my ship with Quanta, not my time.

100kmph is far to fast, slow down.

It’s easy to severely underestimate one’s speed when flying in 3rd person. Especially if you’re flying a Lage construct. Things seem to glide by so slowly even at multiple hundred kph. 

100kph is 60mph that would do some SERIOUS damage IRL. 

to put this into perspective Titanic’s top speed was just 40kph!

imagine hitting solid rock at 2.5x the seed of the titanic. Admitted, the titanic was 2x the length that of an L core, but still…

I guess the Titanic also wasn't build to re-enter atmosphere or travel space at 30000kph. And the iceberg doesn't really compare to a one voxel pillar. So damage? Yeah, utter annahilation of the whole ship not really. In your comparison, the Titanic sank it wasn't squashed.

34 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

I guess the Titanic also wasn't build to re-enter atmosphere or travel space at 30000kph. And the iceberg doesn't really compare to a one voxel pillar. So damage? Yeah, utter annahilation of the whole ship not really. In your comparison, the Titanic sank it wasn't squashed.

Space travel at 30000kph? LOL. Like that's any different to space travelling at 1kph.  Nice try though, eh?
The titanic was built strong enough to withstand the 100kpa of water pressure at 10m+ below water but your ship can't even keep out 10cm of water. It is incapable of pressurising the hull, which most high altitude aircraft of today can and also your ship is so weak it burns up at 1500kph which modern jet can do without catching fire so no joy playing the "strength card" I'm afraid. ?

"Only a single voxel" that's 25cm thick....
This is what happens if you hit a 25cm HOLLOW tube at just 50mph... not 60:

That truck was pretty much totally annihilated.... Now, your construct might have been twice the length (40m?) but then it would also be eight times as much mass (at same density) and the pole would have ripped through the truck much, much further.
Also, you said Market pillar... I have looked at the aftermath of the MP15 clusterfuck and I swear that they were at least 2 voxels thick, in some cases 1m thick, since Aphelia has infinite resources, no need to scrimp and scrape.

But anyway, collisions were made this way to stop griefing... The slower moving item is immune to damage from faster moving items preventing people ramming space stations and completely annihilating them with an XS core travelling at 30,000kph.
ALL damage is applied to the faster of the two parties and damage is proportional to weight and, I think, square of speed with a buffer of about 50kph... at least our medium core hover train that maintains a height of only 25cm never takes damage when it bumps a corner in the track at less than 50kph but at 100kph if it hits the side rail, it's toast. Voxels add to weight thus damage, but do nothing to protect the elements within, which is a shame... if contact damage was handled the same as PVP damage, things might be better...

Yeah, it's broken... but collision damage calculations have been pretty constant... So basically, the griefers and potential griefers are why we can't have nice things.

6 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

imagine hitting solid rock at 2.5x the seed of the titanic. Admitted, the titanic was 2x the length that of an L core, but still…

The titanic did not get 100% destroyed by the iceberg colision. 

Only the hull got ruptured and flood happened. 

In DU every element becomes destroyed instantly on colision. 

It like all titanic elements would get destroyed in the single instant of the colision. 

No more doors. No more life boats. No more violins. No more naked woman paintings. Nothing. 

Every single voxel of that structure survived in tact, though. Not a scratch. 

Jeez. like I said. The damage system is broken. 

Well, if you want to go there, Amagasaki train incident. Train derails at 70kph: plows into a parking garage: complete destruction of first two carriages. 106 died in those carriages. No survivors at the front. The middle and rear half of the train sees another 500 injuries. Many life changing injuries. 

that was a solid metal train at just 70kph. It collided with a wall which was said to be made of 10-13cm of reinforced concrete. Nothing mechanical survived the impact. It took them a month to fully recover the front of the train: a month. 

and unlike this game, some of the damage was absorbed by the building. 

I should have known you’d wade in to this. 

17 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

in PVP voxels protect your ship’s innards from fire. But in collisions, the more voxels you have, the MORE damage the elements inside take. 

This!

Why does my nice ship with buffer zones, voxel protection around the important elements etc suffer more damage than if I removed all the honeycomb and left the ship as a bunch of floating not connected elements. Makes me sad!

2 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

All those peeps who kept saying June 16 was to be DU shutdown day. LOL. 

suddenly quiet. 

Ah yeah, what happened to that ... didn't they all trumpet something about a 17 June release or so?

1 hour ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Ah yeah, what happened to that ... didn't they all trumpet something about a 17 June release or so?

Was postponed and 29 July as the new target. Is that a bummer? Yes, of course. Nobody likes postponements. But they can be forgiven for not charging and opening the game to people yet and continuing to maintain a communication. On discord and their YT channel they explain why and what is coming in the next months. They care about a first impression, you only have one of those.

And watching yesterday's video, I'm extremely excited about what's coming after the early access launch.

We are already just into the 7th month inside this year and so far no information about territorial warfare from NQ.