How many people said...

Jinxed

"Gee, the dodgy field effects around the hand tool really need dialing up to 11"?

Do the DU coders have ANY IDEA how difficult it is to precision-place things with the tool and that arred lighting effect taking up over half of the width of the screen and not only encroaching upon but actually obscuring the workspace?
Do they even care?

Here's me trying to precision-place a bunch of L glass... it's a fckn nightmare.. I think I prefer mining at this point.
RlPZwaf.png

I agree with you. A Snap option should exist.

As a workaround, and not taking any merit from the underlying issue you pointed, you can find a single voxel as a reference point to place grid of elements.
If all the elements are aimed at that specific place of the voxel, and you do the rest of the movement with the arrow keys and pageup pagedown you will be able to perfectly align elements.

On the underplaying issue, I have a suggestion.

Create snap grids. Not just one, but a mechanism that allows for its creation and storage of snap grids.

Like, having a menu with a list of snap grids where you could add, delete, use snap grids.

When pressing "add" you would have to aim at any voxel of element surface and click. That would create (and add to the list) a snap grid with that point as [0,0,0] and the inclination of the surface clicked as the grid orientation.

When pressing "use" every element (in your hand) would orient itself with the grid and arrows, page down, page up would move the element according to the grid.

This would be the basic. But in the future, NQ could even try to implement voxel tools to take the grind into account when making diagonal voxels.

Another good addition would be to allow players to edit numeric values that define the grid. Allowing for players to manually set the grid to exactly "45 degrees." 

I ALWAYS use the arrow and pgup pgdn keys to place an element. Becayse I play so laggy on a GTX640, pointing precize would take forever, so I use the coordinates in the middle of the screen to place elements. The main advatage is for me that I can move around the placing of the element without the element moving. I can even place an element while Im not even looking at it or that it is in screen, just follow the coordinates in the middle! This is really handy when wanting to look around the element your placing and see how it looks.

With, for example, wings its really handy. In the center of the screen, take the right column with coordinates. The lower halve (under the words "intact element" on your picture) gives the coordinates you have when placing your wing on one side. The wings can easliy be alligned with each others if you remember these coordinates. Dont need the "U" option for that.

Also, when pressing the "9" tool for moving elements, point at an element and it will show its coordinates at the centre (Handy for building one side and the next side later on). You can also press "U" when pointing, and instantly move the element with the arrow keys.

For sliding doors, making combo's with sliding doors to make bigger entrances, sometimes the element (door) will stay red because it 'collides' with another door. Simply 'open' the door that is already placed and place the sliding door. Aso, sliding doors can open beyond your core and can be used as horizontal extended platforms as well, remember that!!

So I dont know what they changed, but this is how I place all elements. Hope it helps

Left right up down is good for exact placement. I use it when designing vehicles to have left and right symmetrical because you can’t copy and paste or reflect elements for some absolutely braindead reason that only the devs know. 

but that has nothing to do with a ui where the character’s own hand and tool are blocking the workspace: that is just piss-poor design.  

Glowing animation “because they can” rather than stop to ask themselves if they should is a noob designer mistake.

same with glass that blocks half the light coming in due to hideously overenthusiastic shader coding.  windows literally have one main job: to let you see through walls. So if you can’t, that’s maximal FAIL.

Sometimes less is more. 

In general, the arm/hand tool is way to prominent and takes up a massive amount of your FOV. The way Space engineers does this is so much better and more efficient. It seems to me it should be just as easy to have a non intrusive glove visible with a small screen on the back showing the active tool and a design implying the nano former is emitting whatever is does from the finger tops of the glove or .. maybe.. ..even better.. have an Iron man style emitter in the inside of the hand.

It's not that hard to actually come up with a better solution, provided you actually understand what you are designing and have the creativity to make that work. 

In Landmark/EQN they had the same effect of having your arm raised and moving dynamically with the mouse cursor.  But it never bothered me.  In fact i always thought it was a really neat feature.  Especially for content creation.  Since you can wave your arms and point at things.

The two main differences were, one, the hand was always slightly lower then it should be.  If you were in first person and looked closely you weren't exactly pointing to where the cursor was.  Which made a huge difference compared to the hand being placed directly in front of what you are trying to see. 

And two, and this is the most important part to me, we had the option to switch to third person view.

I think they should switch back to just the hand, no need for the gun until we have AvA PVP.  And ditch the VFX for all the building tools at least.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we have a third person view? ?

There is nothing wrong with the tool or the effects, your hand is just too far up taking up too much screen space. 

Using the example above, this is how it should be.

du.png

Agree, without solving previous lag issues a whole lot of new ways to generate lag are introduced. Till some time ago i could fly over alioth relative lag free, now in a 90km flight i crashland about 3 to 4 times due to lag issues messing up flight