0.25.8 HERMES UPDATE: Missions and more - Discussion thread

NQ-Deckard

17 minutes ago, MissingPackage said:

I also think they should try to change it to allow people to have a core to core connection so they can move things between cores for management purposes.  We are at a point in which this should be possible without any big hit to performance. 

This.  And linking elevators between cores would be really nice too.

2 hours ago, MissingPackage said:

They should change it so if your in space that is true but the moment you jump into atmosphere that it changes to allow them to move even if a player is not near them. It would allow people to have moving things in bases to make it more lively and lifelike. I also think they should try to change it to allow people to have a core to core connection so they can move things between cores for management purposes.

This is extremely unlikely to happen any time this decade. It is my understanding that all flight mechanics, Lua, etc., are calculated and run on the Client computer. That is why no core moves when there isn't a player nearby, because it is the player's computer that handles the actual movement.

To change this would first require a major rewrite, and second vastly increase the server side processing load.

18 minutes ago, Tordan said:

It is my understanding that all flight mechanics, Lua, etc., are calculated and run on the Client computer.

Correct. This is why I can’t do lots of call stuff managing my factory as Lua only works when it’s running on a client.

This is why my ship stops in space when I log off, rather than letting me log back on later and have travelled all that distance.

2 hours ago, Tordan said:

The patch notes indicated that glass was going to stop being frosted now, but I don't think that made it into the patch.

image.thumb.png.77aac3a7c700002d3d421018e17afe06.png

Totally agree that is really bad. Speaking of bad how hard would it be to get paintable glass or some transparent voxels we can use like glass voxels so we can make our own ship windows. That would help so much we would not have to work so hard on making curved cockpits and things

I'm sure this update is good for many people, and the game overall. But there's nothing here for me as I don't require a hardcoded system to setup agreements. This hard coded system is really mostly only good for freelance work.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:45 AM, Tordan said:

The patch notes indicated that glass was going to stop being frosted now, but I don't think that made it into the patch.

Yeah.. I still don't understand how that frost/dirt effect got into the game in the first place. It is almost like they don't know how the game is played at all.

3 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Yeah.. I still don't understand how that frost/dirt effect got into the game in the first place. It is almost like they don't know how the game is played at all.

The whole thing we this could be solved with transparent voxels. It would be really simple for them to do just go and copy one of the voxels already in the game and change it. They only need to change the transparency of the voxel and then give it a blue hue and problem solved.  If you see this NQ please do it to give us something as an alternative to thee windows. And if your concerned about people abusing it you can make it to where a construct can only be certain percentage of transparent voxels. 

Why The Multicoloured, Disney Channel Fck does the character's arm not only cover half your forward view, but now the constantly moving tool special effects distract you and cover the work area when you're trying to build something?

RlPZwaf.png

Also the glass is as blue and cloudy as its ever been, unless you can damage it, where it goes clear.

I HATE CLOUDY GLASS... Elite Dangerous also hired a secondary school kid to work on the glass textures in that game, too... 

On 6/18/2021 at 11:50 AM, MissingPackage said:

Totally agree that is really bad. Speaking of bad how hard would it be to get paintable glass or some transparent voxels we can use like glass voxels so we can make our own ship windows. That would help so much we would not have to work so hard on making curved cockpits and things

I remember distinctly reading that NQ had said a direct "no" to transparent voxels, but I cant remember where or even when I read it... 

I like taxi missions... a few changes I would request you consider...

When I order a taxi, I get a txt when it is close by, how about we get a message when our taxi is nearly there?

If you arrive at the pickup point and the customer isn’t within 2km the job is considered completed and you get the pay

when you get within 2km of your passenger you can select to pick them up like any other package. A menu comes up,for them, if they select ignore the mission is complete and you are paid, if they select ok then they are teleported onto the ship. If a player is off line when you arrive, you can still pickup and transport them.

Taxi jobs have a destination. When within 2km you can offload your passenger like a package

And lastly... you can’t pickmup,a passenger without a seat they can sit in!

dualuniverse_2021-06-21_09h46m51s.thumb.png.5c9a86d118204494e10df0f5443b3154.png dualuniverse_2021-06-21_10h05m42s.thumb.png.f77fa42e5682b35710043bd62e73385a.png Trying to see which side is the face that you can pull a line of voxels from is also very difficult now. I find looking for the voxel I am trying to place in a specific location is very difficult now they are too transparent.

Overall I'm happy with this update...  there was a couple performance bugs that appear to be working better for me on my gaming laptop vice my desktop, and that VFX dont seem to bother me as much as other players. I've been giving the Mission System a good use and while I understand its a v1 system, it has great potential. Pushing out the ability to stack missions for complete round-about runs through 4~5 planets eventually returning to Alioth would make for a great game play loop. Look forward to seeing the progression with it.

16 hours ago, Okivash said:

Pushing out the ability to stack missions for complete round-about runs through 4~5 planets eventually returning to Alioth would make for a great game play loop. Look forward to seeing the progression with it.

But once you have completed that loop a couple of times, it becomes what is essentially just another boring and repetitive task like mining.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:04 PM, CptLoRes said:

I remember when it was clear. So many people loved to have lots of floor to roof windows in their shops and other buildings. Of course the problem was that they were two clear and you couldn’t tell the darn windows from the open entry and kept bumping into them trying to find the actual door out!

11 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

But once you have completed that loop a couple of times, it becomes what is essentially just another boring and repetitive task like mining.

that's exactly the problem with any PVE content. At first it's exciting and cool and interesting, but once you get the hang of it, any PVE is pretty boring

10 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

Of course the problem was that they were two clear and you couldn’t tell the darn windows from the open entry and kept bumping into them trying to find the actual door out!

I get that. But a fundamental principle when developing software, is that you always try to minimize changes (outside fixing bugs) for features that are actively in use, unless you have strong indications that many users want changes/improvements. And hardly anyone asked for this, since one of the main usages for glass in DU is cockpit windows.

So the obvious solution would be to introduce a second type of glass elements or even better make the transparency effect strength variable using the alpha channel in the #color parameter to avoid frustrating existing users and give them options.

17 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

I remember when it was clear. So many people loved to have lots of floor to roof windows in their shops and other buildings. Of course the problem was that they were two clear and you couldn’t tell the darn windows from the open entry and kept bumping into them trying to find the actual door out!

Glass is supposed to be clear else it is milk glass/matted so the only right solution for changing glass would be to add a new type or as said before make the transparency changeable by the owner.

As long as the speed limit of 30,000 km / h is not lifted, I will not accept an Aphelia mission to a distant planet.

My suggestion:

Abolition of the speed limit.

Warp only possible to other solar systems (as soon as available) and no longer in the system itself.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:21 PM, GraXXoR said:

Been asking for elevator linking since time immemorial. T_T

There are ways around it, but you have to overlap cores most of the time. I suspect their main issue is if the elevator went to another core then they would possibly have to load that core as well into the client. If this was the case, then all,of a sudden you could have ten linked cores needing to be sent to the client as they are all connected via elevator. Pretty much the reason we can’t have transfer units between cores, but not sure if it would really be an issue for elevators