0.25.8 HERMES UPDATE: Missions and more - Discussion thread

NQ-Deckard

• NQ-Deckard changed the title to 0.25.8 HERMES UPDATE: Missions and more - Discussion thread

Okay NQ Idk what you were thinking with this mission system.

1.  Missions are designed to help players bring "Content" to your game

-Why limit it to 3?

2. Missions aren't able to be posted by Orgs specifically and only viewable to orgs.

-Why can we not post as an org, some of us have jobs for different orgs?

3. Mission creations are only available for 24 hours?

-This creates an ONLY TODAY mentality, in this game which is international and some players wake up 12 hours after the others, this time limit only further restricts our ability to do content.

4.  50k mission creation cost- A new player can create 3 missions per day with the 150k we get for logging in.  However this cost further limits the game and removes quanta from the economy. (Like bots remove ore from the game)

TLDR:  - Mission limits to 3, 24 hours posting only = Another reason why we as players are restricted from bringing further content to DU.  If the goal of DU is for players to bring content, in my own opinion we should not be limited.  NQ says no NPCs planned for launch, yet the mission system is 99% NPC based. Players weren't thought of as being content generators with this implementation.

Suggestion: Drop mission costs to 15k and increase the mission posting to a limit of 10 per day minimum.  (Do this before talents for it get implemented)

New Suggestion: Do not allow org mates to vote on reputation, this is a direct exploitation of "good" standing as players can run multiple tiny free missions within org and show a 5 star rating, this is not a positive way of representing people in toxic groups, as they can just mitigate it with mission spam at 5 rating.  (we already see this in DU creators site where orgs mass +1 like their orgmates ship to push it to the top of the list.)

Edited by DekkarTV
Additional suggestion

1 hour ago, DekkarTV said:

Okay NQ Idk what you were thinking with this mission system.

1.  Missions are designed to help players bring "Content" to your game

-Why limit it to 3?

2. Missions aren't able to be posted by Orgs specifically and only viewable to orgs.

-Why can we not post as an org, some of us have jobs for different orgs?

3. Mission creations are only available for 24 hours?

-This creates an ONLY TODAY mentality, in this game which is international and some players wake up 12 hours after the others, this time limit only further restricts our ability to do content.

4.  50k mission creation cost- A new player can create 3 missions per day with the 150k we get for logging in.  However this cost further limits the game and removes quanta from the economy. (Like bots remove ore from the game)

TLDR:  - Mission limits to 3, 24 hours posting only = Another reason why we as players are restricted from bringing further content to DU.  If the goal of DU is for players to bring content, in my own opinion we should not be limited.  NQ says no NPCs planned for launch, yet the mission system is 99% NPC based. Players weren't thought of as being content generators with this implementation.

Suggestion: Drop mission costs to 15k and increase the mission posting to a limit of 10 per day minimum.  (Do this before talents for it get implemented)

Seems pretty obvious to me that this mission system is not a "final attempt", in fact NQ came right out and said that.  This skeleton system is clearly designed to test the framework of the mission system, not to provide a fleshed out system on day one. The $50k cost is, again obviously, designed to limit mission spamming by people who don't actually want something done. If you are new and poor enough to still be relying on the $150k welfare check then you are probably not the person to be posting missions. You are the person who should be looking to *complete* missions.

7 minutes ago, battlespork said:

Seems pretty obvious to me that this mission system is not a "final attempt", in fact NQ came right out and said that.  This skeleton system is clearly designed to test the framework of the mission system, not to provide a fleshed out system on day one. The $50k cost is, again obviously, designed to limit mission spamming by people who don't actually want something done. If you are new and poor enough to still be relying on the $150k welfare check then you are probably not the person to be posting missions. You are the person who should be looking to *complete* missions.

I'm the largest purchaser of salvaged parts in DU, so no I don't rely on the welfare check. 

Unfinished systems when we provided feedback about these exact issues on the PTS is not suitable for release to live. (in my opinion)

Many people in DU have been waiting for missions to "generate content" for the DU community as a whole, I get you are opposed to my suggestions but limitations in this game are what drive people to "NOT" partake in systems introduced.  All this does is remove our ability to provide content as players to other players. 3 missions isn't even enough to put one mission per planet.  Not all players in DU have 1 single minded purpose, some have bases at multiple planets, some have "jobs" across multiple orgs that need to be able to use the system in positive ways.  

3 missions (until completed), 24 hour limit, these restrictions are in no way beneficial to the game, or its economy.  Combine this with an easily exploited mission rep system is going to simply drive players away from using the system to "generate" content.  Yes you can still use it for that 1 off pick up at market when you are too lazy to fly, but this will not result in "massive" hauling networks, transportation jobs, increased pvp or anything if kept within the confines of these limitations. 

To clarify- Increase the mission allotment, increase the time limit for the post(72 hours)to allow players in other time zones enough time to complete the missions, reduce the investment cost to allow people to use the system to its full benefit.  We have already seen the negative effects on the community numbers due to previously implemented limitations and I simply wished to voice my thoughts on the new mission system.

My post hasn't even touched on the fact that people are using alt accounts to mass wealth from these missions in the current "bragging" of about 80m/hour from the npc missions across multiple accounts.

Let's be clear here, it is no secret that I have been a HUGE advocate of this game. I love playing it.

But I am now, at least partially, on Hiatus until we have the ability to turn off the hand tool graphic effects while in build mode (and frankly the hand and tool themselves would be nice too.)

The constantly bobbing hand and gun that takes up a third of the space is bad enough while building, but adding strobing, rippling, distortion causing effects that bleed even further into the build space is absurd. 

Dear devs, Imagine you're at your desk, you're trying to program, concentrating hard, and someone comes along, sticks his hand over your shoulder and starts waving around a LED strobing nerf gun covering up a substantial portion of your work space. Would you be happy?

Please, pretty please, add a checkbox to settings YESTERDAY to turn this obnoxious bit of useless silliness off. I really want to be able to continue building and designing, doing the Voxelmancy that I love so much. Right now, it is impossible for me.

Thank you.
Tordan

I can only agree from having seem a number of streams the added effects are at best detrimental to the UX and the game in general. There is no reason to all these effects outside of showing off another kewl new toy the devs get to play with and they do so way over the top, just like they did with all the toys they got previously. VFX are supposed to support function, not become the focal point. Besides that, the way the VFX are done really is not great. they draw focus away from the actual area they are supposed to be "pointing at" as they are not correctly placed.

Was this even on PTS or is this another example of NQ just dropping in stuff last minute and untested _despite_ having  a PTS which by now seems more of a marketing tool than something they actually use for.. well. testing.

I was kind of hoping the next patch would give me an incentive to reinstall the game and  have another  look but it seems it's just more of the same and nothing actually changed.

I have been very negative so far, especially after 0.23. But I think yesterday's patch was a success. The mission system in its current form seems to be a solid basis on which the devs and the community can build. 

I like the new effects, but agree with the previous speakers that they should be optional. 

Finally you can do something with your ship, even if it's just flying stuff back and forth for missions :D

well.... at least it's not a huge nerf like the .23 but honestly i don't think I'll be using missions that much.  even the most profitable bot mission is only 9 mil to travel 700 su. I'm not sure the exact time but that's what roughy 6-7 hours? I don't see how going afk for 7 hours is fun but hey... like i said, at least it's not a huge nerf. If this is an alternative to make money, trying to save for say exotic weapon schematics (about 700 mil for a full line) would take about 544 hours of just slowboating (( 700 / 9) * 7 hour trip).  I don't see how this is "bringing the fun back" to the game.

Morning NQ I’ve not had a huge amount of time to test any of the new patch, but from what I see I think it’s a good springboard of things to come. To follow on from Tordon earlier I hate to say but have to agree, for someone who has made the bulk of my quanta from building ships from alpha I’ve always said it would be nice to turn the hand off so it was optional I do actually like the vfx but while building to have it optional would be excellent. Also just a few suggestions to throw out there,  I would love to see some sort of light emitter in the build area that could be made darker/brighter so i didn’t need to light it via various massive lights to see what’s going on that would be cool. Also with the missions screen, looks ok but would like to see it a little less crammed, it would be good to be able to read the full text without the use for sliders it’s all a bit small text wise and jammed in , also maybe a section for mission bonuses maybe for delivery within a certain time frame  or for the amount delivered etc I’ll dip in more over the coming days Keep up the good work NQ.

5 hours ago, Tordan said:

Please, pretty please, add a checkbox to settings YESTERDAY to turn this obnoxious bit of useless silliness off. I really want to be able to continue building and designing, doing the Voxelmancy that I love so much. Right now, it is impossible for me.

More options would be nice. While I don't find the new FX distracting,  one of the changes I really dislike  is the removal of the grid inside the build box. Could we  please get a check box to turn the grid on/off?

Edited by Rahzig

Granted I haven't had time to test the new patch yet. But when I read "new FX" in the release notes, I immediately went "oh no" they are going to overuse this new toy as they have done with other effects in the past. I also have a suspicion there is not only a problem with build mode tool effects, but that having industry running with lots of effects is going to get old very quickly.

6 hours ago, Rahzig said:

Could we  please get a check box to turn the grid on/off?

You have to do this on a dynamic construct (but it will then apply to all constructs you build)

it is under settings in the Build helper. Grid Visibility.
image.thumb.png.ec0a96ed87ed7148b6d19e508ae160f5.png

and I just discovered that the Flatten Tool is also an overblown bunch of visual noise. "spell effects" need graphics toggles/sliders folks. for some of us (many for this game) this is going to be unplayable.

At least when I'm mining I can mostly avoid looking at the screen when the tool is active.

I honestly have NO IDEA why anyone would find all that useless flashing and movement appealing. I put tape over most flashing LED lights on stuff like Cable Modems and the like, and I'm not alone.

Also for the record the hand and tool also sway way too much.

Yes Bobbie there is no warp during missions, this has been known since the system went on the PTS several months ago.   It's designed to encourage the pvp aspects of the game and provide content to pirates who want to shoot haulers.  

Tip: Don't fly the pipe.

Let's remember they've been working on missions since before 0.24. That's 6-7 months to push out a skeleton of a system -- so it isn't like this is some fresh feature they barely had time to work on. 

Personally, I don't really get it. I don't have hours to spend slowboating and am not interesting in paying for a game just to AFK. It's not a screen saver.  

The idea that the warp restrictions were done to "encourage pvp" makes very little sense to me. How is that a balanced game design? Investing hours slowboating is enough of a cost without the risk of total loss (+ lost collateral) -- if there's going to be risk, it must be balanced relative to the cost. Time is always the most important currency in an MMO. 

Slowboat hauling isn't going to incentivize new players to renew their subs.

There are gamers that like this sort of slow experience...but not enough to build an MMO out of in 2021. It's like their design mentality is permanently stuck in 2003. 

That said, at least the skeleton of a mission system is finally out! Hopefully they can iterate on it quickly now that the foundations are done. 

1 hour ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

Personally, I don't really get it. I don't have hours to spend slowboating and am not interesting in paying for a game just to AFK. It's not a screen saver.  

100% agree. Most of the gameplay is either mind numbing like mining, or AFK play like hauling or the talent system. New players will ALWAYS be behind vet players in terms of talent points. Doesn't even matter if you login either, since you can just not play the game at all and still have more talent points than a new player playing 24/7 trying to catch up.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:18 AM, Tordan said:

You have to do this on a dynamic construct (but it will then apply to all constructs you build)

it is under settings in the Build helper. Grid Visibility.
image.thumb.png.ec0a96ed87ed7148b6d19e508ae160f5.png

While their at it they can also change the behavior for the dynamic cores. They changed them a while back to make them stop when no player is nearby. They should change it so if your in space that is true but the moment you jump into atmosphere that it changes to allow them to move even if a player is not near them. It would allow people to have moving things in bases to make it more lively and lifelike. I also think they should try to change it to allow people to have a core to core connection so they can move things between cores for management purposes.  We are at a point in which this should be possible without any big hit to performance.