What's up with this sidebar on the forums?

blazemonger

I see it every now and then when browsing with the iPad (landscape) but it usually only narrows the first couple of messages and doesn’t scroll down.

The real issue I have is I go to unread messages, find one, but it takes me to the top,of the first page. I have to scroll down until I find the new messages line. There must be a button or something to hop,right there but I haven’t figured it out yet and it bugs the heck out of me when deal Ng with multiple page threads. 

Edit: my bad, it does keep the narrower width. Guess I’m just used to that width. 

If your browser of choice support the uBlock Origin plugin, a simple filter will remove it. It's really great not just for ads, but also to remove unwanted fluff that web designers keep trying to push on us.

! uBlock Origin filter for Dual Univere forum sidebar
board.dualthegame.com##.ipsLayout_sidebarright

30 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

If your browser of choice support the uBlock Origin plugin, a simple filter will remove it. It's really great not just for ads, but also to remove unwanted fluff that web designers keep trying to push on us.

Not really sure how does blocking part of a website (and not a 3rd party advertising) stands, not only on the forum rules, but also in the legal playground.

Legal playground?

are you trying to suggest that you could be fined or go to prison for blocking parts of websites?

There are no laws against blocking content on the internet that I am aware of in any English speaking countries. 

that would be… stupid. 

12 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Legal playground?

are you trying to suggest that you could be fined or go to prison for blocking parts of websites?

There are no laws against blocking content on the internet that I am aware of in any English speaking countries. 

that would be… stupid. 

I block all sidebars with ads / suggestions / groups in things like FB, Twitter etc.

Otherwise I would go nuts.

1 hour ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

I block all sidebars with ads / suggestions / groups in things like FB, Twitter etc.

Otherwise I would go nuts.

I'm not gonna make a big deal out of this, because @GraXXoR is probably right.

But this is not a 3rd party banner you are blocking. This is part of a site.

In a way you are using a site you agreed to use but blocking part of it.

If this makes any kind of data from being correctly compiled and transmitted, this is technically hacking.

And again, there is probably nothing wrong with blocking a div. But I would definitely involve the CM into this before starting to "hack".

Like, do it at your own risk, but don't advice other ppl to do it...

Here is some shocking information. Hacking is not some intrinsically illegal act. The implication that hacking involves illegal intent is the result of media hijacking the term for their narrative.

Hacking (the original term) is just modifying/personalizing something technical outside of the intended usage. So basically it is the same as making DIY modification to something. Like for example adding accessories or getting a paint job for your car. Or reworking your sneakers to make them unique.

The word hacking just implies that the modification are of an experimental technical nature, usually related to computes. Like for example game mods. Or adding filters to web pages to remove or add information. Nothing illegal with that. Believe me if Google and friends thought for a second that they could get away with classifying ad blocking as illegal, they would do so faster then you could blink.

Hacking as portrayed in the media on the other hand, is doing something technical with the specific intent of gaining some monetary advantage by illegal means. Like for example breaking into a company network to steal and hold information ransom.  But people doing this are cyber criminals, not hackers. And to use hacking to imply something illegal the correct term would be a "black hat hacker".

https://timrayner01.medium.com/hacking-is-not-a-crime-its-the-key-to-innovating-like-a-startup-1ccd6208563a

24 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

I said the warning I wanted to say.
You guys do what ever you want.

You can warn all day you want mr. Random Forum user who thinks he's a mod. 

Carry on

44 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

I said the warning I wanted to say.

Your "warnings" are pretty meaningless since it is dead easy to poke holes in your baseless fantasy bubble ideas.

If I'd choose to do so, there is _nothing_ preventing me from blocking part of a website to be show on my screen, I am not altering or even accessing any of the code, I'm just not allowing it to be shown. But feel free to provide me with anything, outside of what seem to be a misguided sense of what is or is not legal, that says otherwise.

and thanks for derailing yet another thread

Look, we all know what can be done here. We all know what html is. 

But there is a difference between we doing what we know and we following the instructions of someone else, without knowing what it does. 

I got no issue what so ever with any of you saying that this can be blocked with plugin X or Y. Because ppl still need to understand how html works to figure out how to block it. 

But giving detailed instructions to go against what NQ intended, to ppl that dont understand what those instructions do, does not feel right to me. 

You are all grown-ups, do what ever you want with your account. 

But for those who dont understand html:

Its just a sidebar, it has no damn impact on your browsing. 

Just express your dislike of it to NQ and they will remove it. 

Just dont go do stuff you dont understand... 

You are either missing or trying to sidestep the issue here.

Claiming that modifying web pages on the browser client may be problematic and possible even illegal, is such an absurd statement that is was bound to cause people to react.

As long as this is done client side, there is no legal argument here period. We are not breaking into and compromising the NQ servers in any way. We are just choosing how much of the web data sent from NQ we want to use. It is no different from putting a post-it note on the screen to cover up something you don't want to see.

Haven't been following the thread, but BLOOMING HECK, s cordeiro still banging on about it being illegal? I thought I'd made it clear in my post that modifying contents of your client is NOT...
Not even Microsoft had enough power to to force Active Desktop on its users in the 90s and early 2000s to force control of their customers' UI experience. They were told to remove their hooks to Active Desktop and allow third party browsers back on and let the customers choose how to render the web sites they visited...  

At the very worst it could be considered a bannable EULA offense if, say, the user was blocking some revenue generating content such as adverts... But this would have to made clear in the EULA (that few read)...  Still does NOT make it ILLEGAL (sorry for the CAPS)...

It always annoys me when people bandy about the phrase "illegal" when they have zero knowledge about law. But worst of all is when people talk as if they are as certain as if they had provided incontrovertible evidence of their rightness when they have done no such thing. 

When I make comments on topics I have only passing familiarity with, I usually add an IANAL (nice acronym, LOL) to the front of my post to make it clear I could be (and am likely to be) wrong.

Any way. back on topic... 

Also, what is this side bar?  I use this forum on my iPhone most of the time, but now I'm trying on Safari to see what is up and can't see a sidebar at all... If I enable fluid width in the options, it gets insanely wide and uses all the width of the 5k monitor... I tried clicking sticky sidebar and flip sidebar, but alas, no sidebar to be seen...

0Z0c96Y.png

Here's a multi page thread on page 2....

lelo445.png

EDIT ; --- I Found the sidebar...

But if you enable fluid, it hardly takes up any space... But yeah, its a bit unnecessary...

I think it only appears after a certain number of posts are made... weird.

lzlXDTL.png

I never affirmed it was ilegal... 

I said i am not sure about being legal and also within the rules. 

But mostly I adviced ppl that dont understand what HTML is to not blindly preform this "hack" 

I also think NQ should be involved in "fixing" this instead of "hacking" it off. 

I also dont see this sidebar as a deal-breaker to justify the emergency of the "hack"... 

2 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Also, what is this side bar?  I use this forum on my iPhone most of the time, but now I'm trying on Safari to see what is up and can't see a sidebar at all... If I enable fluid width in the options, it gets insanely wide and uses all the width of the 5k monitor... I tried clicking sticky sidebar and flip sidebar, but alas, no sidebar to be seen...

I run Chrome (with Adblock Plus - the only extension I use) on my PC and I have not seen this "side-bar".