So, what do you think of the new colorful engines?

sHuRuLuNi

This is noticeable ..

Above correctly noted .. designers and modelers are not programmers and different groups of people work on different content. As soon as it is ready, it is included in the update.

And so I'm all for it, especially since for sure it will be some kind of basic help for the system of skins that have long been in the drop-down menu. And the skins themselves allow you to additionally monetize the project for NQ, as EVE online does too .. Skins are not a bad monetization option as such today. That will actually increase the income of NQ and it will probably only be in +.

I'm all for it!

I also like the new skins, eventhough I am not a big fan of monetising especially when you pay monthly already and we re still in beta. So I hope they re a gift to the community. 

One thing..where did you get the pictures?I don't want to ruin a positive thing, but why does NQ not communicate or present stuff like this? What happens at marketing and communications? I didn't see them on their page nor yesterday evening on login screen

1 hour ago, DrDerp said:

I also like the new skins, eventhough I am not a big fan of monetising especially when you pay monthly already and we re still in beta. So I hope they re a gift to the community.

One thing..where did you get the pictures?I don't want to ruin a positive thing, but why does NQ not communicate or present stuff like this? What happens at marketing and communications? I didn't see them on their page nor yesterday evening on login screen

The concept was announced on Twitter on the official page .. These skins are not literally skins, this concept shows what will be by default - for free.

I spoke above about the further system of skins, which will undoubtedly be, whether it will be paid or not, here only NQ will show, but this is a good thing for the game and its development, there are a lot of people who want to buy something unique for their ships. Where content will be provided both from promotions time and paid. Just like there will be something like PLEX in EVE online. They before say this (about some PLEX for can pay ingame money for play time) but that should be coming i think not early then release time.

All these things do not in any way affect the game balance and this type of donation is quite acceptable for playing by subscription, but no one ever push you male donation. The main thing is that it does not suddenly become somehow Paid = won. But I don't think NQ will do that. Rather, the general concept will be roughly sticky with EVE .. it is generally similar in general concepts and so on subscription.

I think these should be skins/colour schemes, I dont know why they should restrict these things to a single unit. With a colour scheme/skin it could be applied to much more elements

I have some designs that look good because of the red space engines. They would look totally diffrent when upgrading engines, I whould want freedom of choice in this. that way i can make the same colour ship with diffrent colour/wings/engines etc

Maybe even choose my own line, like orange engines are upgraded to lvl4 or something.

Which leads me to my next suggestion: applying talents to elements by a menu, so you can choose the lvl of upgrade the element has

Going to be completely honest here, this does absolutely nothing for me when considering so many core gameplay issues are either broken or completely missing altogether. 

I realize the art team behind this and the features development team likely share very little overlap, but teasing something like this is tone-deaf all the same. I *want* to play this game, but there is hardly anything of substance to do outside of mining and building. 

I'm sitting here starving for engaging gameplay loops and they're saying, "Hey look at how we color coded engines! Pretty neat, huh?"

Why on earth would you paint a particular performance class of engine a particular and completely disparate colour?... makes little sense to me.
Quite literally sprinkling glitter on poo, but for some reason they don't let us choose which poo and what colour glitter we want to sprinkle.

If they were skins i'd be more inclined to have a positive opinion... as it is, this is just another minimum effort addition to the game.

It's not that it bothers me.

But when we say where is the game in new feature gameplay as much to say nothing about of color engine.
Integrate it discreetly with the update of the asteroids. Even if that means not seeing his visuals for the next 6 months.

It will be less frustrating for us players.

I think they are beautiful.

And that they are squeezing lemons to get some juice before closing everything.

Already seen with other projects.

The aesthetic work is fantastic ... and for this very reason, presented at this precise moment of development, it should make us think of "why now?".

9 hours ago, Leogradance said:

Already seen with other projects.

The aesthetic work is fantastic ... and for this very reason, presented at this precise moment of development, it should make us think of "why now?".

Interesting. Could you put some links in the thread so we can see where these aesthetic chooses are being taken before the shutdown. 

just list a minimum of two projects (you used plural). 

curious. 

Otherwise it just sounds like soundbites. 

12 hours ago, Leogradance said:

The aesthetic work is fantastic

Is it? it's pretty much a recolor of the existing skin.. Takes all but a minute or two to do so I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

While variation, even simple ones, is certainly not a bad thing, locking it into an engine type though seems to immediately diminish the possible use of the skin.

15 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Interesting. Could you put some links in the thread so we can see where these aesthetic chooses are being taken before the shutdown. 

just list a minimum of two projects (you used plural). 

curious. 

Otherwise it just sounds like soundbites. 

Mr, I left 4 months ago.
Honestly, I don't care anymore.
Ask yourself two questions but stop answering acidly, no one attacked you.

2 hours ago, Leogradance said:

Mr, I left 4 months ago.
Honestly, I don't care anymore.
Ask yourself two questions but stop answering acidly, no one attacked you.

I am not talking "acidly", I am merely asking you to back up your claims of *already seen in other projects* with some information.

It seems reasonable to me that If you make a strong assertion with apparent confidence such as "before they shut down"  you should be able to support your claim with something to back it up.

Also, if you "left the game months ago" and  "Honestly don't care anymore" why are you still here? Just to troll with your "squeezing lemons" quote?

I honestly don't know why people bother wasting their time if they are not even interested in the game any more. It's like they have nothing better to do in life.

Not playing the game, and not being interested in the game are two different things.

I would be all over this game again, if they delivered just a fraction of the game they sold us in the Kickstarter.

4 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Not playing the game, and not being interested in the game are two different things.

I would be all over this game again, if they delivered just a fraction of the game they sold us in the Kickstarter.

That is a valid point but "I don't care any more" kind of suggests that he isn't interested.... At least that's what I took it to mean. I'm not saying that everyone who doesn't play isn't interested.

I don't play Elite Dangerous any more after their Odyssey expansion turned out to be completely FUBAR.

But I still read the forums daily, as much as I do DU.

I also read SC forums daily, too and only play that once every month or so...
NMS I play that a lot but have no interest in following the forums for some reason and never read them, thus I'm always completely surprised when a new NMS patch comes out.

7 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

I honestly don't know why people bother wasting their time if they are not even interested in the game any more. It's like they have nothing better to do in life.

Oh they are still interested.  They're so interested that they're lashing out emotionally because they can't have it yet.

I think we're all a little frustrated that we can't have the finished game when we want it.  Some people just handle disappointment a little less gracefully then others.

Back on topic, I very much agree with everyone else saying that the colors of the engines, and the stats, should be a separate choice.  Being able to have engines with colors that match your ship would be great.  But being forced to match the color scheme of your ship, to the type of elements you choose, would be no fun at all.

I already try to hide the red part of the space engines with voxels whenever i can, so i don't have to match it to the other colors i choose for the ship.