Running client on Linux

Crandules

6 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

You just refuse to get it, I understand. It's fine.. 

No point in trying.. so good luck with your personal bubble fantasy

Quite amazing how i should "get" your point of view without you providing arguments to support it. 

And its not my "personal" anything. The open-source community pretty much have the same opinion as i do about MS's monopoly. 

But please tell me how would forcing MS to publicly disclose all new OS APIs available in advance, would hurt competition? 

Please note that im not asking for their code, just its technical discription. 

• 3 months later...

Don't mean to revive a dead topic, but I just found Dual Universe and was very excited.  However was disappointed when I got here and found out it's a Windows only game.  

I know the owner and development team's position as well as the fact that well supported cheat protection programs are virtually non-existent.   In addition I know that "Linux is hard" and it's hard to find game developers who have the knowledge and skill to develop for the Linux program.  I also know that it is impossible to guarantee that a game will work on all Linux distributions.  Even though snap packages have come a long way since June of this year, that still does not overcome the problems I mentioned above.

I accept these limitations and will not argue against the development teams' stance and decision.

I hope that someday Ubuntu (my favorite flavor of choice) figures out how to make their Linux distro easier for less experienced software and game devs to develop for because I truly feel that is what prevents Linux from rising above the 1% desktop(/laptop) representation.  That's what it will take to encourage more shops to take on the challenge of Linux.

I will still stay subscribed to the newsletter and watch how the universe develops.   It's a fascinating concept and I am excited that someone is trying to recapture the spirit of a SciFi sandbox universe that meets or even exceeds my past enjoyment of SWG, before everything got so "StarWarsy".

I wish you luck and good fortune to develop a truly amazing game that I believe this game has the potential to be.

May the Force be with you ... always!

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, blazemonger said:

You want to play DU, you will need to get a solution that includes Windows.. simple as that

For some , that solution is forced no choice option, just to abandon game... :(

2 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

That may be so @zyziux, but DU has always been a windows only game and is wel ldocumented as such. It is you personal choice to risk buying in to the game when not on Windows.

There is always the option of a Shadow PC though..

No. DU was not a windows only game until the addition of EQU8 anitcheat. Prior to that the game ran fine though a KVM on Linux etc.

DU is built on Unigine which runs fine on Linux. 

The current limitations are entirely the result of choosing to use EQU8.

I think you know full well what I am saying. Running the game on any other platform than Windows is not supported, it may work, it may not.

That Unigine supports Linux does not mean the game does or should. And Unigine is really just a small part of the game relatively. Several other parts of the game do not support Linux.

It would really be a waste of resources for NQ to support Linux. Not only is there really no userbase to speak of, they also do not have the manpower or financial emeans to even consider it. I get that may not be what some woudl like to hear, but those are the simple facts.

1 hour ago, Jake Arver said:

I think you know full well what I am saying. Running the game on any other platform than Windows is not supported, it may work, it may not.

That Unigine supports Linux does not mean the game does or should. And Unigine is really just a small part of the game relatively. Several other parts of the game do not support Linux.

It would really be a waste of resources for NQ to support Linux. Not only is there really no userbase to speak of, they also do not have the manpower or financial emeans to even consider it. I get that may not be what some woudl like to hear, but those are the simple facts.

Literally the only part of the game that does not support Linux is EQU8.

You are welcome to tell me what these 'other' parts of the game that do not run on Linux are. DU ran 100% fine on Linux before EQU8 was added.

DU ran on Linux fine - albeit unsupported - prior to EQU8. 

Once EQU8 got added, firing up DU in a linux container died with it. 

I don't game on Linux, but no matter how you twist it - NQ made a decision to murder any hope of linux support with their choice of anticheat.

DU was runnable in a linux container until late summer 2020.

• 10 months later...

Splitgate a f2p game on Steam runs EQU8 and the game ruins fine on Steam Deck and is even Verified by Steam to run on Steam Deck (Linux with Proton). The Spligate developers are also the new owners of EQU8 anti cheat. So I can only conclude that EQU8 does run on Linux and specifically Steam Deck. Why NQ claims it can't work is beyond me, have they not done their own research? Or are they flat out providing the wrong information so they don't have to do any work on making their EQU8 implementation work with Linux/Proton/Steam Deck...

44 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

Splitgate a f2p game on Steam runs EQU8 and the game ruins fine on Steam Deck and is even Verified by Steam to run on Steam Deck (Linux with Proton). The Spligate developers are also the new owners of EQU8 anti cheat. So I can only conclude that EQU8 does run on Linux and specifically Steam Deck. Why NQ claims it can't work is beyond me, have they not done their own research? Or are they flat out providing the wrong information so they don't have to do any work on making their EQU8 implementation work with Linux/Proton/Steam Deck...

The equ8 faq (https://www.equ8.com/faq) still lists that it does not work on Linux . I don't follow the development or discord though, so that's great it has Linux support now. Was there a more recent NQ reference to Linux support your responding to? The comment your replying to is from 2021 and the NQ implementation was first setup around beta launch I think . Without knowing how they're using equ8 or what version they are using, it seems disingenuous to assume that they are just trying to avoid work . It's quite possible that the last time they worked on their equ8 implementation it did not work on Linux even though newer versions have support.

2 hours ago, fiddlybits said:

Was there a more recent NQ reference to Linux support your responding to?

NQ made a statement on Steam regarding Steam Deck support. This was the most appropriate post, unless I wanted to start a new topic. Splitgate was released on Steam in May 2019, way, way before beta launch. The EQU8 FAQ says they don't support Linux, that is something different. What NQ has been saying EQU8 does not work on Linux and Steam Deck, which is not correct. Their (flawed) implementation of EQU8 does not work on Linux and Steam Deck. People keep repeating this 'does not work on Linux', here, on Steam, on Reddit. Just wanted to give it some attention due to NQ not working on getting DU working on probably the most low power and cheap pc solution that is currently available. Especially with the current energy crisis in many parts of the world and NQ's insistence that we run long ranger missions while the PC is under (full) load running DU for hours and hours...

My issue is that NQ is blaming EQU8 that it does not work on Linux, but it clearly works on Linux. They just need to 'fix' it so it does work on Linux and Steam Deck. It seems they would rather not and blame another company...

Source:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2000270/eventcomments/3493131640458017287/