Building with DIRT,ROCK, SAND, SANDSTONE...would save a lot of digging! This is primarily a building game, stop punishing people for wanting to build!

So....I never really figured out why people cannot build with dirt, rock, sand...which is free to collect and its everywhere. I get it....when people dig it costs NQ money. Data...going back and forth. But why do people dig: Let's ask that. To make money? Some...but (as in real life) hoarding money only goes so far. People dig to find materials to BUILD! Because....no matter how much people want this to be Eve (Eve has PvE, btw), it isn't. It took more genetics from the dad...MINECRAFT. DU...is a building game. So let people build! Let people use ROCK to build....and see what happens. I bet, this will result in more $$$ and less digging. More people will find the game less boring. They will be able to build sandstone pyramids instead of sci fi looking ones that don't look right! People will be able to build castles using APPROPRIATE materials. And the best part of this suggestion...IT'S FREE....100% FREE....no money has to go out from NQ. Think about it.... because this game is sinking fast. 

I was thinking about this the other day.  I think one of the reasons they might be hesitant to give us actual building tools for terraforming, is that the faster or more powerful the tools are, the faster and easier it is to grief and cause problems with them.  

I think they should add some improved building tools for terrain, like the ones we have for constructs.  But put them behind some talents, and only allow them to be used on a hex that you own, or is owned and you have permission to dig, not on unowned hexes at all.

I think that would slow people down enough that it wouldn't be any worse then any other way someone can cause mischief in a game like this.

Terraforming with the current system is just awful.  Most importantly we need a heal/restore tool, that puts the terrain back to the way it was originally.

What I have never understood is concrete it is mostly made up from silicon and carbon?  The typical concrete mix is made up of roughly 10% cement, 20% air and water, 30% sand, and 40% gravel.  So where does the crazy mix in the game come from.  I have never understood why something as simple as concrete is not simple to make in game.  You have an easier time making pure metal building materials than you do concrete.  Am I the only one thinking this?  Concrete should be a base building material that is so heavy that it would not be practical to use as a ship material.  And not take 3 unrelated refined materials to make.  Refine dirt into pure materials and then into concrete and make those refined materials limited to just a few things.  Anyway just my thoughts.

I have been a proponent of Tier 0 materials for land structures since at least 2018. 

Likewise, mining coal for wood, Tier 2 concrete etc etc. 

my original threads in the alpha discussion channel got dozens of responses each. Hundreds over all. 

this same point kept coming back by other people, too, again in the alpha forums. same dozens of responses, getting less over time as people started losing hope. 

At this point in game’s progress, there really is zero use starting new ideas threads. 

1) someone has already said it. 

2) the forums are where good ideas go to die. 
3) NQ didn’t listen last time (or the time before that, (or the time before that, (or the time before that.)))

Still, I suppose it’s fine as a vehicle to vent one’s frustration. 

Believe me, this exact discussion has been going on for as long as DU has existed.

We have this fancy nano transformer and just walking around we are surrounded by all the raw materials we need for basic building.

Water, sand and rock for cement and glass, trees for carbon etc.

Interestingly enough cement is not as simple as you think it is ....

"calcium, silicon, aluminum, iron and other ingredients. Common materials used to manufacture cement include limestone, shells, and chalk or marl combined with shale, clay, slate, blast furnace slag, silica sand, and iron ore." from the Portland Cement Assoc.

... be careful of what you wish for, you might get realism!!!

I belive it is because of a planetary materials use a diferent voxel system. 

Like a single voxel in a planet is larger than one voxel in a construct. 

So they would have to convert volumes or we would notice the diference. 

That and some hate for minecrafters that make houses out of dirt. 

9 hours ago, Cheith said:

Interestingly enough cement is not as simple as you think it is ....

"calcium, silicon, aluminum, iron and other ingredients. Common materials used to manufacture cement include limestone, shells, and chalk or marl combined with shale, clay, slate, blast furnace slag, silica sand, and iron ore." from the Portland Cement Assoc.

... be careful of what you wish for, you might get realism!!!

Basic cement (the glue for making for example concrete), and is made from limestone, clay and sand at high temperatures. Any other components are only added to get some specific characteristics.

Point being that the fundamental principle of cement/concrete is simple enough that it was used by the Ancient Greeks, but in this game even when we have a nano transformer it is a high tier material that is more costly then for example real modern materials like plastic and carbon fiber?

And we all know why. NQ knows that people want to build large structures/industries/etc and they are trying to time gate the process to cover up the lack of actual game play. But that does not make people stay longer, and instead there is ample evidence (0.23) that it has the exact opposite effect since building can be time consuming enough by itself without the added resource time gating breaking the camels back.

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Basic cement (the glue for making for example concrete), and is made from limestone, clay and sand at high temperatures. Any other components are only added to get some specific characteristics.

Point being that the fundamental principle of cement/concrete is simple enough that it was used by the Ancient Greeks, but in this game even when we have a nano transformer it is a high tier material that is more costly then for example real modern materials like plastic and carbon fiber?

And we all know why. NQ knows that people want to build large structures/industries/etc and they are trying to time gate the process to cover up the lack of actual game play. But that does not make people stay longer, and instead there is ample evidence (0.23) that it has the exact opposite effect since building can be time consuming enough by itself without the added resource time gating breaking the camels back.

Yah don't need concrete - matte grey brick honeycomb looks almost exactly the same and is cheap and easy to do.

And of course we would have advanced concrete - plus in this game limestone is a T2 material so .... yeah.

As to the lack of game play - it is a sandbox, remember - you could argue about the lack of extra mechanics to play with such as farming, also the assembly stuff is a bit basic in many ways, damn I would more complain about the terrain this procedurally generated crap is pretty bad and unrealistic, or the lack of animals/birds etc anywhere. Lots of real things to moan about.

6 hours ago, Cheith said:

you could argue about the lack of extra mechanics to play with such as farming

I want farming of animals!

Bring on DLC, I’ll buy it!

But now I can’t even make a structure over 100 feet tall with dirt ? Found that out when my shipmwas just above fetch range. 

3 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

But now I can’t even make a structure over 100 feet tall with dirt ? Found that out when my shipmwas just above fetch range. 

Were you standing on top, jetpacking up and adding a blob? I've certainly gone above 100 feet - not tried above 100 meters though.

3 hours ago, Cheith said:

Were you standing on top, jetpacking up and adding a blob? I've certainly gone above 100 feet - not tried above 100 meters though.

Yip, 100 meters, my bad. Needed to gain about 300 meters to reach it, thought no problem. But wasn’t allowed ?

i think giving us the power to build stuff out of dirt would not have been a particularly smart move on NQ's part. Just imagine how many more phallic towers would have been built if we didn't actually need honeycomb to build them, 

I don't know about you, but i would not trust myself with such power. Sooner or later i would succumb to tempation and build an entire valley of p*nises.  Hell i probably give even Mr. Garrison's obsession a fair run for its money ?

2 hours ago, Bazzy_505 said:

i think giving us the power to build stuff out of dirt would not have been a particularly smart move on NQ's part. Just imagine how many more phallic towers would have been built if we didn't actually need honeycomb to build them, 

I don't know about you, but i would not trust myself with such power. Sooner or later i would succumb to tempation and build an entire valley of p*nises.  Hell i probably give even Mr. Garrison's obsession a fair run for its money ?

No point replying, the OP has quit the game.

Also, what's WRONG with you? A valley of penises? ROFL... My minds eye is filled with weird and wonderful Rick and Morty Landscapes.

By the way adding a * in the word penis doesn't make it any less a penis.  I prefer using other words rather than censoring existing words... todger, wang,
ham cannon, pink sword, baby pistol, wedding tackle, love truncheon, jolly baster, one eyed Joe... loads of entirely inoffensive ways to refer to it that don't need a *.

Well fine, have it your way,  endless parking lot filled with meat-trucks, which would be slowly eroded by sun, wind, and rain into eery valley of menhirs that turist would visit for the religious experience, not knowing what it really was originally.  I would watch them from above and snicker as all those silly notions of what the site's original purpose was.

Call me weird, by when you look all those photos of bronze age menhirs, u can't tell me it wasn't originally a schlong, before weather and time did their polishing on it. 

villa_santantonio_or_menhir_monte_corru_tundu_1rsz.jpg