Ship crash breaks ALL 200 small elements, repair takes 30-60 min of my life for DULL repair actions

m0rrty

Hi guys,

When you build the ship, you want tot have windows, lights, all those wires and wire-corners, right?

BUTT!!1111!!1 But if you crash, most of the elements will be broken, and require repair. I have 250 elements on my M-ship, I am not talking about L-ship....... I have to walk around and fix every 50 hp point, 200 point, etc, elements, and it takes big part of my life, JUST to CLICK and fix red element, then click fix yellow, and wait of the fix....

What do you do? - You just don't place that much of elements?! Right? ----> we are loosing the esthetics, we are loosing part of the game without elements.

I have this problem. It is not a bug. 

But I wand a feature request.

My suggestion: to have a Construction >> Right Mouse button >> Command "Repair", which may repair your ship for you, spending time, which you do whatever you want.

My Suggestion: Admin, make the glass and other small elements not breakable ?

Your ideas?

I think the current system is pretty fair. In space engineers you just lose the ship if you crash too hard. The time rebuilding motivates you to be a better pilot, make a ship that handles better/more safely, and adds a sense of risk and makes some actions a thrill. For example trying to come into Alioth weighing a bit too much and barely making it.

I think its unfair too! An L-core ship can have over thousands of elements, with buttons, relays, small windows, doors, beds, chairs, steel beams for stairs, lights, adjustors etc. (and Im talking about a Space-only L-core atm)

I crashed my M-core ship once due too lag (So it wasnt really my fault). I was able to hover back home and park it, I repaired it by doing 20-30 minutes a day of repairing. My aim at first was to just build another ship and leave the crashed one to be, but after a few days I got to my senses.

This game already has a huge impact on your life-time, so I also think there should be a 'repair-all' button.

Even if i have to wait a day or two, or even a week (L-core) for it to be repaired, I can do something else in the time. We are 10.000 yrs in the future and we have to repair every single element by hand??? Come on man!

10 minutes ago, Sabretooth said:

I think its unfair too! An L-core ship can have over thousands of elements, with buttons, relays, small windows, doors, beds, chairs, steel beams for stairs, lights, adjustors etc. (and Im talking about a Space-only L-core atm)

I crashed my M-core ship once due too lag (So it wasnt really my fault). I was able to hover back home and park it, I repaired it by doing 20-30 minutes a day of repairing. My aim at first was to just build another ship and leave the crashed one to be, but after a few days I got to my senses.

This game already has a huge impact on your life-time, so I also think there should be a 'repair-all' button.

Even if i have to wait a day or two, or even a week (L-core) for it to be repaired, I can do something else in the time. We are 10.000 yrs in the future and we have to repair every single element by hand??? Come on man!

Once they get the repair unit to take scrap that will be what you're describing pretty much. That will be good

I thought about some kind an Automatic-Repair-Mechanism element for the ship, which can work similar to Territory Scanner, - occupy the ship ("do not move it while process") for 5-10-30 min (for 1+ hours for 1000++ elements , maybe), and automatically repair the ship, while you are free to do what you want, dig or build, or watch utube, etc.

The mechanism can have a need in a Link to container with scrap, - the better scrap - the faster repair.

58 minutes ago, m0rrty said:

I thought about some kind an Automatic-Repair-Mechanism element for the ship, which can work similar to Territory Scanner, - occupy the ship ("do not move it while process") for 5-10-30 min (for 1+ hours for 1000++ elements , maybe), and automatically repair the ship, while you are free to do what you want, dig or build, or watch utube, etc.

The mechanism can have a need in a Link to container with scrap, - the better scrap - the faster repair.

Not quite sure if this is sarcasm, because such a unit technically does exist, but for some reason it works nothing like that.

32 minutes ago, Musclethorpe said:

Not quite sure if this is sarcasm, because such a unit technically does exist, but for some reason it works nothing like that.

exist? - Then... why people build ships, replacing deco elements with voxel alternative, and there are a lot of people on the game chat is writing about the same issue, - don't want  to spend a lot of time on manual repair, - why no one is saying we have the alternative?

Would you be so kind to rephrase the " but for some reason it works nothing like that. ", so not native english speaker (newbie, like me) can understand you? - Do you mean, the existing element works differently? - how does it work? and what is that?

50 minutes ago, m0rrty said:

exist? - Then... why people build ships, replacing deco elements with voxel alternative, and there are a lot of people on the game chat is writing about the same issue, - don't want  to spend a lot of time on manual repair, - why no one is saying we have the alternative?

Would you be so kind to rephrase the " but for some reason it works nothing like that. ", so not native english speaker (newbie, like me) can understand you? - Do you mean, the existing element works differently? - how does it work? and what is that?

It's even called "The Repair Unit". :)

6 hours ago, TonyTones said:

I think the current system is pretty fair. In space engineers you just lose the ship if you crash too hard.

Ehh.. If I fly my explorer ship into a glass panel in SE, the glass panel shatters and I move on.. If I fly my L core ship into a glass panel in DU my ship is toast and the glass panel does not even have a scratch..

If I take off and touch a microvoxel in SE, my ship will roll around the voxel, if I do the same in DU, my ship goes poof

Not sure how that is "fair" .. DU collision mechanics are at best severely broken.

Just now, blazemonger said:

Ehh.. If I fly my explorer ship into a glass panel in SE, the glass panel shatters and I move on.. If I fly my L core ship into a glass panel in DU my ship is toast and the glass panel does not even have a scratch..

If I take off and touch a microvoxel in SE, my ship will roll around the voxel, if I do the same in DU, my ship goes poof

Not sure how that is "fair" .. DU collision mechanics are at best severely broken.

Ya, thats true the calculations are super broken. In terms of taking time to repair if you smash into the planet is the fair part. Maybe they can fix the calculations but I miss SE type collisions. Maybe SB will do it nicely

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

Tell me about it. I have a tunnel going into my underground base for ships, and I have spent forever trying to hunt down invisible leftover ground voxels causing havoc.

3 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

It's even called "The Repair Unit". :)

The Repair Unit does not repair elements, dear.

It repairs only voxels, and it replaces elements with 1hp with new elements from your inventory, after pvp. It does repair the broken after crash elements

15 minutes ago, m0rrty said:

The Repair Unit does not repair elements, dear.

It repairs only voxels, and it replaces elements with 1hp with new elements from your inventory, after pvp. It does repair the broken after crash elements

Ya they should really fix that. It even shows scrap as a possible input so something is just done wrong. There's a NQ comment on this subject somewhere

NQ if they are coming out with bots should really come out with drones like Repair drones that use gas/scrap and act like a pocket bike you can take out of your inventory when needed that just repairs your ships tbh. You got off easy OP with only a 1hr repair lol some of our repairs on crashes no fault of our own have taken 10hrs with multiple people working on it. Personally I refuse to use anything other than T1 scrap as it is a waste for the time when you can just macro heal and do something else healing L stabilizers or some of the other 30+ plus hp elements.

9 hours ago, m0rrty said:

My Suggestion: Admin, make the glass and other small elements not breakable

The problem is this would make them into invincible PVP shields.

But i would like to think there is some way NQ could make this work.  It really is a shame having all those nice decorative elements and basically not being able to use them on ships.

I honestly think they should just make the repair process nearly instant, when the damage is from a collision.  There's no reason to punish people for crashing a ship, beyond the repair bill.

Repairs only need to be slowed down when there's PVP involved.

11 hours ago, m0rrty said:

My suggestion: to have a Construction >> Right Mouse button >> Command "Repair", which may repair your ship for you, spending time, which you do whatever you want.

uhhhhhh.... you have heard of the repair unit, right?

4 hours ago, Shaman said:

uhhhhhh.... you have heard of the repair unit, right?

For those of you who are unclear on this, the "Repair Unit" doesn't repair a damn thing. All it does is replace. Meaning it will trash/destroy any damaged element and replace it with a fresh one that is in its inventory container. The same goes for voxels.

Absolutely no scrap is involved, so no actual repairs, despite its name. 

16 hours ago, m0rrty said:

Hi guys,

When you build the ship, you want tot have windows, lights, all those wires and wire-corners, right?

BUTT!!1111!!1 But if you crash, most of the elements will be broken, and require repair. I have 250 elements on my M-ship, I am not talking about L-ship....... I have to walk around and fix every 50 hp point, 200 point, etc, elements, and it takes big part of my life, JUST to CLICK and fix red element, then click fix yellow, and wait of the fix....

What do you do? - You just don't place that much of elements?! Right? ----> we are loosing the esthetics, we are loosing part of the game without elements.

I have this problem. It is not a bug. 

But I wand a feature request.

My Suggestion: Admin, make the glass and other small elements not breakable ?

Your ideas?

In my experience,  the best practice, at least for the time being, is to build your ship like a russian cold war era, no bells, no wistles, no heating, no cushions, mugholders, fancy radars and chairs. 

Once you have the hull, engines, airfoils, tanks ,adjustors and brakes laid out, test it and adjust the hell out of it untill the flight characteristics are rock solid. Make a conscious decision early between naturaly stable ( but less maneuvrable) or naturally unstable ( more maneuvrables) design.

Once your design behaves consistently with your design goals, than start adding all the windows, switches, force field ramps.. etc  And even re-fly the ship often after adding any major element so you can backtrack effect of each change on design. 

And last but not least, at all stages of tuning your design, always test with various sized dummy loads of cargo ( containers fill uniformely, rather they always fill as first linked first, last linked last) . This is particularly important when tanks and cargo containers are not placed along the center of  lift/gravity.   When using multipe fuel tanks, watch the changes in weight distribution as tanks are emptied. Not a huge concern on XS cores, but get more profound as the sizes increase.

And remember, first few ships you design will very likely get off the ground, they might even manage get out of atmosphere, but that doesn't mean they're not crap,

and that's okay, nobody get its right the first few times    

Generally we didn't consider it an expensive crash unless it takes a team of people several hours and millions of quanta worth of T3-T5 material in scrap to repair.

I think when our Logistic Lead Officer crashed his baby it cost so much and took so long that you probably wouldn't believe me if I posted it.

When ya gotta break out the Manganese scrap, **** just got real.

Either make the repair unit use scrap or have deco elements behave like voxels regaring damage. Ignore pve damage but take pvp damage.

If the devs want us to decorate our ships with deco elements, just like they want to encourage us to use the (in pve pointless) voxels, make them easier to use.

Quick repairs = Manual repair tool and expensive scraps

Relatively slow automatic repairs to balance out PvP = Repair unit

So all NQ has to do is make the repair unit actually work in a meaningful way. Translation: Maybe some time long after release..

On 5/21/2021 at 1:32 PM, blazemonger said:

Not sure that is that broken.

I mean, Glasses do have HP.

Voxels do have HP.

What your ship flying through an obstacle doesn't do is inflicting damages.

Considering a moving object as a weapon that can inflict damages depending on mass/speed e=mc² ? could easily solve the problem.

Shouldn't take some hard long coding to do too.

4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

An M core ship with heavy armour getting wrecked by a speck of dirt is not broken?

As I said after, if they implement damage done by construct as a weapon, then the problem is solved.

So that's no big deal to solve.

That's all I'm saying.