Dynamic constructs on space constructs

JoeKing

Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if everyone knows about this and I’m raising a really stupid question, but Ive not seen anyone discuss this anywhere, and as with many things in DU, information is hard to come by and most things are learned by trial & error and other players. So, here goes:

Im trying to build a ship with a M core on my space station landing pad, however, when I place the core and other dynamic constructs are within the building zone, they seem to somehow merge properties. I noticed this when trying to move the core into position to start the build and two of my other ships moved with it.  However if I moved the ships individually, the newly placed core didnt.  I then tried to delete the core, but I got the ‘build wasnt empty’ yada yada error, even though Id not added anything.

In the end I had to throw all my ships off into space and park them miles away before I could delete the core. 
Im reluctant to start my next big build here if theres some weird core interaction bug - or is it a DRM thing linked by a space core, or something else Im totally missing? Is it safer to build a ship on a planet?

Anyone else experienced this?

This is a known problem....  and has been ongoing for a long time now.

IIANM, Utopia Spacers' Guild have been using large cores placed in strategic locations as "anchors" to stop medium cores "stealing" small and x-small ships from their landing pads merely by parking close to other ships.  

I think the idea is that placing a large core means any ships in the area become slaved to the large core rather than each other, so remain, effectively independent. 

Give that a go.   Or contact USG on discord and ask them about it. They are a super friendly bunch.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:33 AM, GraXXoR said:

This is a known problem....  and has been ongoing for a long time now.

IIANM, Utopia Spacers' Guild have been using large cores placed in strategic locations as "anchors" to stop medium cores "stealing" small and x-small ships from their landing pads merely by parking close to other ships.  

I think the idea is that placing a large core means any ships in the area become slaved to the large core rather than each other, so remain, effectively independent. 

Give that a go.   Or contact USG on discord and ask them about it. They are a super friendly bunch.

Exactly this. We call them 'Safety Net Cores'. Essentially Dynamic L cores placed so the origin of the core is in the center of a landing bay. Move the core element out of sight and you're done. Now, to actually dock to another ship within the 'dock area' of the bay, you need to get your child ship REAL close to dock it. It mostly prevents docking accidents.