What is the purpose of the sanctuary moon?

Merkor

So i've already run out of basic ores on my one tile. I purposely picked a tile with some empty tiles around it hoping there's be more ore available. I didnt realize we can only mine in our one tile. Now i have to figure how/if i can move all my stuff to alioth since it might not fit in my inventory. The sanctuary moon seems like a waste of time to me.

Yes, its useless.

In short, it was made for different game disign concept, but before "Beta" release NQ completly lost any idea what they doing/want to do/suffered from knee jerk "change of plans", so Sanct ended up as cringe leftover. 

OK, so let me actually explain what happened, coherently... rather than gibbering on like a loon. ?

Originally, the NO PVP Zone was intended to be limited to Sanctuary moon only, with PVP eventually arriving everywhere else.

All planets were to have ground PVP and the safe zone was originally limited to the region surrounding Sanctuary... Hence the name.. Sanctuary.

But at some point, the PVP-Free zone or Safe Zone as it became known was expanded to include Alioth, Madis and Thades and their associated moons. It has also been stated that this is likely a permanent "feature" which means that the original purpose of Sanctuary was lost.

Sanctuary is a relic from a time gone by.

Hope that explains what is going on...

9 hours ago, Merkor said:

So i've already run out of basic ores on my one tile. I purposely picked a tile with some empty tiles around it hoping there's be more ore available. I didnt realize we can only mine in our one tile. Now i have to figure how/if i can move all my stuff to alioth since it might not fit in my inventory. The sanctuary moon seems like a waste of time to me.

It was going to be useless with the original "vision" (tm).  That vision being from a madman several years ago.  When we got in after the last wipe it became obvoius after a week and a warning to leave that it now functions as a trap for new players.  Get out.  I suggest alioth or madis.  Find any hex, ANY HEX on those two planets and it will be better.  GET OUT of Sanctuary.  Have a warp shuttle built when you can to get back to the markets on alioth for shopping but you have no reason to ever return to Sanctuary unless you forgot something expensive.  Back in the day of a few months ago we would rescue people and extract them from Sancturary almost daily to bring them to Madis.

6 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

I think it should be blown to pieces. 

Too good for it.  Send it into the non-existent sun.

1 hour ago, Revelcro said:

It was going to be useless with the original "vision" (tm).  That vision being from a madman several years ago.  When we got in after the last wipe it became obvoius after a week and a warning to leave that it now functions as a trap for new players.  Get out.  I suggest alioth or madis.  Find any hex, ANY HEX on those two planets and it will be better.  GET OUT of Sanctuary.  Have a warp shuttle built when you can to get back to the markets on alioth for shopping but you have no reason to ever return to Sanctuary unless you forgot something expensive.  Back in the day of a few months ago we would rescue people and extract them from Sancturary almost daily to bring them to Madis.

well for now i'll be moving to alioth since i dont have a way to get off planet yet. Although maybe i should look into what it would cost to get a ship capable of getting to madis - i'm guessing madis is less crowded then alioth?

4 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

OK, so let me actually explain what happened, coherently... rather than gibbering on like a loon. ?

Originally, the NO PVP Zone was intended to be limited to Sanctuary moon only, with PVP eventually arriving everywhere else.

All planets were to have ground PVP and the safe zone was originally limited to the region surrounding Sanctuary... Hence the name.. Sanctuary.

But at some point, the PVP-Free zone or Safe Zone as it became known was expanded to include Alioth, Madis and Thades and their associated moons. It has also been stated that this is likely a permanent "feature" which means that the original purpose of Sanctuary was lost.

Sanctuary is a relic from a time gone by.

Hope that explains what is going on...

Then why do they keep sending new players there? I'm guessing changing the starting tutorial from saying 'go to sanctuary' to 'dont go to sanctuary' would be relatively easy to do.  Or just change sanctuary so you can mine on unclaimed tiles. 

For a new player, sanctuary is basically an excuse for them to stop playing the game. You invest some time into mining ores, building up some supplies and then find out your now stuck and basically have to just abandon your stuff since it's not worth trying to haul it back and forth with multiple trips to the market to sell it. Do the dev's have any plan to fix this? It doesn't seem like it would be a complicated or time-consuming thing to fix.

Thanks for the explanation.

50 minutes ago, Merkor said:

well for now i'll be moving to alioth since i dont have a way to get off planet yet. Although maybe i should look into what it would cost to get a ship capable of getting to madis - i'm guessing madis is less crowded then alioth?

For ship clutter yes definately.  For people clutter.....eh.  Not much in the way of people clutter for now other than real estate (people are not playing much).  Both places have a relatively high amount of Claimed Tiles.  You could go to Thades but that place is kinda "meh". 

Getting off planet and slowboating somewhere is actually really easy and you can even do it from your nanopack with surface rocks if you had to (cept making kergon, that takes a chem station and of course a ****ing blueprint.  Most of our guild members got to madis on their own with us cheering them on and watching their stream in discord, always a good laugh.  Sometimes it was their first space flight.  If you were in SLI I would just invite you to MTI and come by and pick you up for a quick warp to Madis and hand you a TU.  In the old days I would even point you toward an unclaimed meganode to get you started.

Man this game has changed so much.

13 hours ago, Merkor said:

How much stuff do you have? I can move it for you and bring you to any planet you want. For free of course, because I am good like that.

4 hours ago, Revelcro said:

For ship clutter yes definately.  For people clutter.....eh.  Not much in the way of people clutter for now other than real estate (people are not playing much).  Both places have a relatively high amount of Claimed Tiles.  You could go to Thades but that place is kinda "meh". 

Getting off planet and slowboating somewhere is actually really easy and you can even do it from your nanopack with surface rocks if you had to (cept making kergon, that takes a chem station and of course a ****ing blueprint.  Most of our guild members got to madis on their own with us cheering them on and watching their stream in discord, always a good laugh.  Sometimes it was their first space flight.  If you were in SLI I would just invite you to MTI and come by and pick you up for a quick warp to Madis and hand you a TU.  In the old days I would even point you toward an unclaimed meganode to get you started.

Man this game has changed so much.

Would it be worth buying one of the starter ships for sale at the market? I can't remember if the  <1mil ships were space capable or not. I'll have to go google what parts are needed for a intro space ship.  I've only played around with modifying the starter speeder so far.

3 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

How much stuff do you have? I can move it for you and bring you to any planet you want. For free of course, because I am good like that.

Oh i already pretty much ditched everything. The only thing right now that I had to leave behind was a small container and a small assembly. The biggest annoyance is i don't have enough room in my pack for a territory marker, so i'll have to fly to whatever tile I'm going to settle on (found one about 50km from one of the alioth markets), and then fly back and buy a marker.  Probably wont bother going back to pick up that container and s assembly.

Thank you for the offer though, I appreciate it.

4 hours ago, Merkor said:

Would it be worth buying one of the starter ships for sale at the market? I can't remember if the  <1mil ships were space capable or not. I'll have to go google what parts are needed for a intro space ship.  I've only played around with modifying the starter speeder so far.

You can actually make the starter speeder into a space ship incredibly easily (windscreens are not necessary, technially seats are not necessary).  Do the "tutorial" on converting the speeder to an air vehicle and follow the instructions and then add on a couple small space engines and a space tank and off you go (a space brake if you want to make it easier to not die when you get there).  No really.  If you cant get to 9% atmosphere then you might need a bit more thrust (add more atmos engine).  All those parts are incredibly cheap usually at any market or you can make em in a nanopak (fuel you have to buy because blueprints are the devil). 

Get to space, point toward a planet, get to 30,000kph if you can and enjoy the ride.  Remember to slow down as you get close and hope you dont die on re-entry (keep it under 1,800kph whenever you are in atmosphere unless you REALLY know what you are doing).

Space is easy.  Getting off planet with more than 25 tons on ya....requires a bit of work.  

well besides all that it was meant to be and isn't, 

sanct still has realatively uncluttered markets with convenient route to the lagville to grab an odd missing component on foot.  In short it's still a very decent place to build ships  and due its smaller atmosphere fairly fuel cheap access to space.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:15 AM, Revelcro said:

You can actually make the starter speeder into a space ship incredibly easily (windscreens are not necessary, technially seats are not necessary).  Do the "tutorial" on converting the speeder to an air vehicle and follow the instructions and then add on a couple small space engines and a space tank and off you go (a space brake if you want to make it easier to not die when you get there).  No really.  If you cant get to 9% atmosphere then you might need a bit more thrust (add more atmos engine).  All those parts are incredibly cheap usually at any market or you can make em in a nanopak (fuel you have to buy because blueprints are the devil). 

Get to space, point toward a planet, get to 30,000kph if you can and enjoy the ride.  Remember to slow down as you get close and hope you dont die on re-entry (keep it under 1,800kph whenever you are in atmosphere unless you REALLY know what you are doing).

Space is easy.  Getting off planet with more than 25 tons on ya....requires a bit of work.  

Hmm maybe I'll try that.  When you fly in space do you need to apply reverse thrust to slow down?

17 hours ago, Merkor said:

Hmm maybe I'll try that.  When you fly in space do you need to apply reverse thrust to slow down?

Yep your speed is only affected by other planetary bodies.  You can slow down with space engines (there are plenty of ways to end up hurtling off planet and through space without any space engines at all btw, usually by accident) using forward facing ones or turning the ship around and blasting in the other direction.  But it is a lot easier to just use a space brake.

Our group always planned in the months past that if they actually wiped then we would try to get to Madis on the first day by slapping together a quick ship and just slow boating over (takes about 45 min at max speed).  Was always curious about how fast we could accomplish it.  The problem is those damn blueprints and Kergon fuel would be a roadblock.

Sanctuary was the best start for me. I learned how to take off into space and come back, finally. Yes I crashed several times, I payed for my lessons. 

If new players still could craft the requisites to build their first ship there - without schematics - they may learn the best way.

I met a player coming to Alioth and couldnt do anything because he had too much in his inventory - I tried to help, but the next day that user wasnt anymore.

He clearly left Sanctuary too early without a clue and hooked up himself somehow.

Sanctuary took a lot of time, grinding rocks, trying things. But it was the best way to get into the game.

1 hour ago, Captain Hills said:

Sanctuary was the best start for me. I learned how to take off into space and come back, finally. Yes I crashed several times, I payed for my lessons. 

If new players still could craft the requisites to build their first ship there - without schematics - they may learn the best way.

I met a player coming to Alioth and couldnt do anything because he had too much in his inventory - I tried to help, but the next day that user wasnt anymore.

He clearly left Sanctuary too early without a clue and hooked up himself somehow.

Sanctuary took a lot of time, grinding rocks, trying things. But it was the best way to get into the game.

Complete opposite for me: Immediately after finishing Tuts and getting to Sanctuary I left that cursed place and went to Allioth where I established my base.

This is because of pre-Alpha days where I had also established a "base" on a desert part of the planet, and I love deserts.

3 hours ago, Captain Hills said:

Sanctuary was the best start for me.

It was pretty cool for me.

I really enjoy surface gathering, pitty it’s so worthless once you are more experienced.

I had filled up my XS core industry, and filled up my S industry before I finally left for them greener pastures of Alioth.

Everything I made was from ore I gathered, and a little I brought with a visit to the market every couple of days to spend my 150k allowance.

I enjoyed it, not sure if it will be the same this time around if I was new or if they did a wipe. The cost of schematics would really have slowed my investigation into how industry works.

The only real issue I had was trying to learn to underground mine was a nightmare with a short scanner range and even worst a lot of my hits being for ore in negibouring hex’s I couldn’t touch. They really should have an option to turn off hits in order there hex’s.

My only issue at the time was I wish the gravity was lower, learning to fly was harsh. It should have been easier until I graduated to big boy world. 

On 5/13/2021 at 11:40 PM, Merkor said:

You certainly can, but flipping around to kill forward momentum when entering atmosphere can be very tricky to control. 

Probably the easiest way is to use space brakes.  And rough rule, for comfortable no frills maneuverability you want the 

the braking force be around double of the forward thrust of your engines.

You can mount additional forward facing space engines to use as brakes, but compared to space brakes they're too heavy

for what they do and unlike space engines, space brakes need no fuel. 

Now what directional space engines are very nice for is to get finer control on trajectory adjustment when entering atmosphere,

and get esp. important even more important when entering no atmosphere or low atmosphere planets/moons. 

dualuniverse_2020-09-17t09h37m16s.png

1 hour ago, CoyoteNZ said:

It was pretty cool for me.

I really enjoy surface gathering, pitty it’s so worthless once you are more experienced.

I had filled up my XS core industry, and filled up my S industry before I finally left for them greener pastures of Alioth.

Everything I made was from ore I gathered, and a little I brought with a visit to the market every couple of days to spend my 150k allowance.

I enjoyed it, not sure if it will be the same this time around if I was new or if they did a wipe. The cost of schematics would really have slowed my investigation into how industry works.

The only real issue I had was trying to learn to underground mine was a nightmare with a short scanner range and even worst a lot of my hits being for ore in negibouring hex’s I couldn’t touch. They really should have an option to turn off hits in order there hex’s.

My only issue at the time was I wish the gravity was lower, learning to fly was harsh. It should have been easier until I graduated to big boy world. 

For me, I ran out of the starter ores virtually immediately. In fact, i think I only found 3 ore pockets so I didn't even get all 4 of the available ores. IMO, a starter area should have a bigger supply of starting materials then what sanctuary has. The amount of traveling I had to do to go buy parts was kind of silly in my opinion. It just doesn't make any that there are no teleporters between markets on sanctuary. It seems pretty silly that the best way to travel from one sanc market to another is to fly to another planet, use the teleport there, and then fly back to sanctuary - and then you have to go and do the whole thing all over again in reverse to get back to where you were. I understand there's a certain level of realism in DU and I like that. But that whole thing makes no sense, especially for someone just starting off who is going to wind up spending more timing going on these circular trips then actually doing something.

Having a starting area for new players isn't a bad idea - but i think in this case it was badly implemented and a big waste of time for me.

As far as i can tell, sanctuary provides no benefit to a player compared to just finding a tile on alioth.