When first starting DU is it normal to sit at the DU logo screen for several minutes?

Merkor

Is it normal for the game to sit at that first logo screen once you hit the login button? It usually sits there for a few minutes, and then it goes to the loading screen, which it might also sit at for a few minutes. I understand it's a beta release and I'm not complaining. Just wondering if there's anything I can do to speed up starting the game. 

Oh and one other thing i noticed when it's at that logo screen - i can't alt-tab to another window. I guess thats what makes it really annoying since If I could pull up another window I could go do something else while it's loading. 

Thanks

Yes, long loading times is 'normal', especially if you don't have SSD and/or internet connection is marginal.

Also go into settings and change to window mode, if you want to alt-tab, resize etc.

Yep. I have 2GBps fibre to my business here in Tokyo and run the game on a Sabrent PCIE4 SSD... The second best thing to an Intel Optane SSD.
It is regularly loading 30-60MBps megabytes not bits per second for several minutes, sometimes my net monitor measures over a gigabyte every time I log on... that's not even clearing the cache.

To say this game is not yet optimised is a study in truth.

4 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Yep. I have 2GBps fibre to my business here in Tokyo and run the game on a Sabrent PCIE4 SSD... The second best thing to an Intel Optane SSD.
It is regularly loading 30-60MBps megabytes not bits per second for several minutes, sometimes my net monitor measures over a gigabyte every time I log on... that's not even clearing the cache.

To say this game is not yet optimised is a study in truth.

it's loading a gb from the server every logon? How does anyone not with good bandwidth even manage to get into the game? I'm lucky I got 1gb fiber recently. 

I was wondering how they'd handle loading when everyone can basically build a totally customized ship/base etc. I wonder how much of the world it's downloading on first load. I usually try to log out at my base if i can since there's not much there. I assumed that would improve loading times.

Mine would sit on loading screen at 0% for a few minutes, but deleting cache seemed to have fixed that. Whenever I monitor it there's very little data coming over the Internet, just cpu usage, cache reading from disk and RAM usage increase.

5 hours ago, Haunty said:

Mine would sit on loading screen at 0% for a few minutes, but deleting cache seemed to have fixed that. Whenever I monitor it there's very little data coming over the Internet, just cpu usage, cache reading from disk and RAM usage increase.

do you just manually delete the files from the DU cache folders?

I always start the gamelike this:

-Double click the DU icon, then the first start menu pops up.

-I press play until the second screen loads in (sometimes this takes a while).

-Here I press the OK-button twice, I delete cache and then I exit the game.

Then I start it all up again, then it goes much faster! No more waiting and staring at a Dual Universe logo for minutes.

Ive had this same problem with another game I played (Avorion), and noticed that when the loading takes longer, the game is also slower.

18 hours ago, Merkor said:

it's loading a gb from the server every logon? How does anyone not with good bandwidth even manage to get into the game?

am on 50mbit with probably 5-6mb/sec dl speed tops - DU needs ALL OF IT, permanently. and it lags pretty hard as soon as more than 5 ppl are around me.

I'm logged out at a market and occasionally log in to see how it works - hasn't improved so far from what I've seen

I have found that deleting the cache unintuitively speeds up loading. 

I guess they have to check the whole cache contents’ hashes to confirm the integrity of the contents and maybe even to prevent people manipulating the game contents offline...  

so the bigger the cache, the longer this takes. 

never had to log out and log back in after cleaning the cache to feel the benefits, though.