Love all the ship designs, but it's getting a little crowded

Merkor

Hi all,

I tried out DU for a little while last year and just recently came back into it. Quite a big difference in terms of player created content now. I'm not sure what the plan is when the game is ready to be released, but the non-player made markets are really getting cluttered imho. They just feel kinda cheap at this point since there are so many gaudy signs trying to get you to buy whatever someone is selling. I mean some of the ship designs are amazing. But I really think any player made stuff should be off to the side a bit with the non-player made markets. I went to one of the district markets last night and I couldn't even find the market terminals at first because there was just so much stuff all over the place. It basically just felt like i was being spammed. All it needed was some ads for ED pills ?

Just to be absolutely clear - not saying we should limit what people can build. I just think there should be a little space between the non-player content and the player content.

1 hour ago, Merkor said:

Hi all,

I tried out DU for a little while last year and just recently came back into it. Quite a big difference in terms of player created content now. I'm not sure what the plan is when the game is ready to be released, but the non-player made markets are really getting cluttered imho. They just feel kinda cheap at this point since there are so many gaudy signs trying to get you to buy whatever someone is selling. I mean some of the ship designs are amazing. But I really think any player made stuff should be off to the side a bit with the non-player made markets. I went to one of the distract markets last night and I couldn't even find the market terminals at first because there was just so much stuff all over the place. It basically just felt like i was being spammed. All it needed was some ads for ED pills ?

Just to be absolutely clear - not saying we should limit what people can build. I just think there should be a little space between the non-player content and the player content.

This is why I don't spam ads like that with my ships. If you want to buy my ships check my youtube videos and come to my territory - there you will find my ships - on MY tile, where they should be.

what i think should really be done is just designate some area as a bazaar, because thats basically what it feels like with all the gaundy lights and so much stuff piled up all over the place. I actually like that idea - i just don't think it's good in every public space, especially when it gets to the point where you can't even find a building because of the clutter.

Decluttering the markets is without a doubt literally the #1 requested feature of all time since... well, forever.

Pretty much everyone has been a victim of the complete fustercluck that surrounds Alioth market places, especially 6 and 7.

You would be really amused if you had seen how NQ have tried to avoid dealing with it.

Seriously comical.

14 hours ago, Merkor said:

What has NQ been doing, or not doing that makes it so interesting?

They have been ignoring sensible suggestions from the community and coming up with their own ideas which have so far not had any effect to speak of, if not made things worse. So pretty much NQ has been NQ..

We've made a few passes  to help clean up and continue to do so.  

You can read about the latest clean up effort here:  

We do realize these are temporary solutions and not the most effective. We're working on better long term solutions. 

As this topic pops up weekly by a new player, can we just make it sticky?

And also my usual copy pasta for a solution that does not contain the words "bomb them all":

No punishment.

Turn crafts into a magic blueprint after a while*, which is stored in the market container and usable within 500m of the market container, similar to placing something via linked container. All the tech to do this is already there. 

As it is stored in the closest market, it would be easy to find. Cant find your ship? Check market containers via "J", which can be done from remote already.

Want to abuse the system? Sure, wait for your ship to despawn so you can spawn it again 500 meters further west. There is no way to abuse this if you are unable to take the bp with you.

Somebody "innocent" is hit? No harm done, just spawn the ship again. 

This would be a super easy pill to swallow, because nobody is punished, it would just get rid of all the permanent stuff at the markets.

*: So what is "after a while"? Best thing to make the game look alive, but not trashed would be the following rule: 
If there are more than X crafts within the tile, the oldest ship is despawned, unless it was parked for less than Y minutes.

So at market 6 there would only be X crafts at the same time, unless a lot of people arrived just now, it also means you would see different ships everytime you arrive (which is the difference between looking alive and looking deserted). Alioth moon markets would pretty much never despawn anything, or any of the outer planets.

At some point in the future you can of course add stuff like public advertisement space, an item that stops your craft from despawning which can only be used in a certain zone at the side (and in limited numbers at a time) etc. So any stuff that allows people to have semi-permanent presence at the market, you can add that later. For now we need something to get rid of stuff, not something to allow more.

Great idea Gottchar. Only problem is the community has been suggesting variations of that solution for a long, long time, and NQ is completely ignoring it.

And they can't even be bothered to tell us why they don't want to implement an effective solution to the district spam that would require minimum dev time.

internal voice "...........yay another, markets landing zone full of garbage threads"

...........silenty adds another notch to the sizeable collection of notches on even more sizeable wall of a very spacious prison cell, many have gone thru before.

Yup! exclaimed a farmer not agreeing with the police

14 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Great idea Gottchar. Only problem is the community has been suggesting variations of that solution for a long, long time, and NQ is completely ignoring it.

And they can't even be bothered to tell us why they don't want to implement an effective solution to the district spam that would require minimum dev time.

I didnt exactly reinvent the wheel there, I know. Just wanted to throw it out because the other ideas are, at least tendency wise, more towards either some rather hard punishment, or something with a lot of dev time (make in impound, sell repo licenses...)