Mining Laser ship as in StarBase

realMod

As I recall, ship-mounted mining hardware was expressly being avoided with the intent of keeping new player's mining abilities at least slightly comparative with an older player's abilities, thus ensuring a new player has something they can contribute (ya know, un-like SE where a new player has a hand-drill that lets them collect 4,000 iron ore a minute to their pack, and an old player has a wall of drills with engines that lets them collect 4,000,000 iron ore a minute directly in to their ship's cargo).

Opinions are of course changing on this (NQ has realized that a lot of players find mining tedious), and they are under new management as it were, but I wouldn't expect things to change quickly.

As for how it might function, my guesses are either EVE's planetary interaction system (except you place the stuff manually on the planet's material-hotspot), or something like the game's current combat system, except you are locking and firing at an ore node instead of a ship, and your weapon is a mining-gun of some type.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:42 PM, Taelessael said:

Opinions are of course changing on this (NQ has realized that a lot of players find mining tedious), and they are under new management as it were, but I wouldn't expect things to change quickly.

I don’t think NQ cares about the tedious part, I think the part is having hundreds of thousands of tunnels dug by players is killing their database. 

They want to switch to mining machines that give you ore but don’t make nightmares for their database. The regular mining as we know it now they probably want to save for astorids so once we make lots of tunnels in it, it can go away and their database no longer has to keep track of it.

It is a MMO, there has to be grind ?

On 5/10/2021 at 1:42 AM, Taelessael said:

As I recall, ship-mounted mining hardware was expressly being avoided with the intent of keeping new player's mining abilities at least slightly comparative with an older player's abilities,

Nah, the reason it's not being done is just because the game engine will not support it and it would be way to taxing performance wise. If they'd ever try it would end up being similar to the semi "simulated" system used for PVP (periscope).

From very early on it's been clear that NQ is at an ever lasting struggle to get functionality without a performance cost as they are constantly at the ceiling of what he tech can deliver. There have only been reductions in functionality/capacity over the last three years, Some things make sense, I mean being able to watch YouTube on a screen in game was fun for a bit but obviously served very little purpose. We're now at the point where NQ is pretty much closing off any external access to screens and will go for an entirely internal solution through Lua. Players will still utilize these abilities to the max and I am pretty sure we'll see further restrictions as there is no room for that in available bandwidth.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:31 PM, realMod said:

Whilst super cool I am reminded of SE and the clang that is generated by large mining contraptions, I expect the current way in which mining is done is a massive burden on performance.

I would however like to see more progression in mining and for it to be a little more enjoyable, can't imagine how though.