When will 0.24 phase 2 drop? Maybe never...?

I get that they held back the mission system to fix a few things...but it's been almost 2 months since 0.24 dropped. 

They seem to really like this "1 update every few months" pattern of dev.

I was thinking that things might change a bit with new leadership, but they don't want to adopt a more industry-standard pattern of development with frequent bug fixes and less frequent feature deployments.

I don't really get it. How is it even possible that the last 4-5 months could be spent on org wallets, purchased texture packs, jetpack changes, and (maybe) missions? Does that seem like nearly half a year of work to anyone...? Hell, it doesn't seem like 5 months of work even for 1 person. 

Like...I'm trying to find an excuse to re-activate my sub but they just aren't eager to make changes or fixes to the game. When they do patch, there's so little of substance it's not even a month of playtime to explore. 

Doubting that new leadership will change anything if the dev pace can't improve -- doesn't matter how much they plan or talk to the community if they can't actually change the game. 

Spaghetti code is great for proof-of-concept, and 'I have this crazy idea, let's see if it works" type of deals.

But, there is also this tendency that if the quick and dirty test actually works and you make the mistake of showing management this, it then somehow has turned into ready for 'production' once they leave the room.

16 hours ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

I get that they held back the mission system to fix a few things...but it's been almost 2 months since 0.24 dropped. 

They seem to really like this "1 update every few months" pattern of dev.

I was thinking that things might change a bit with new leadership, but they don't want to adopt a more industry-standard pattern of development with frequent bug fixes and less frequent feature deployments.

I don't really get it. How is it even possible that the last 4-5 months could be spent on org wallets, purchased texture packs, jetpack changes, and (maybe) missions? Does that seem like nearly half a year of work to anyone...? Hell, it doesn't seem like 5 months of work even for 1 person. 

Like...I'm trying to find an excuse to re-activate my sub but they just aren't eager to make changes or fixes to the game. When they do patch, there's so little of substance it's not even a month of playtime to explore. 

Doubting that new leadership will change anything if the dev pace can't improve -- doesn't matter how much they plan or talk to the community if they can't actually change the game. 

didn't they also say were working on a pvp overhaul and stuff in that look ahead video? perhaps they are just doing loads of features at the same time, and none of them are finished yet.

Problem is they have been saying things like this, and still ending up under-delivering since the beginning (2016).

So if they suddenly had loads of features ready now, it would be the first time NQ managed to pull a stunt like that, ever.

Only time NQ showed real progress in a timely manner, was the do-or-die crunch they did for the 'beta' release. But then they went straight back into the same old afterwards.

17 hours ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

What exactly are you waiting for in patch 2? More pretty textures? You've already written here that the mission system is coming with 0.25. The main argument for 0.24 is therefore invalid.

Calling the patch 0.24.2 or 0.25 is totally irrelevant. The discussion is about why NQ is taking so long.

And saying it is because they waiting for other features to be complete in 0.25, is just highlighting how NQ is unable to make sensible priorities. 0.23 did A LOT of damage (again because of bad priorities), and the mission planner should have been part of that patch.

Edit: Or even better they would have released the mission planner first to get feedback, to ensure they had a working alternative before destroying the industry (only about 1/3 of the entire game-loop).

5 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

Calling the patch 0.24.2 or 0.25 is totally irrelevant. The discussion is about why NQ is taking so long.

And saying it is because they waiting for other features to be complete in 0.25, is just highlighting how NQ is unable to make sensible priorities. 0.23 did A LOT of damage (again because of bad priorities), and the mission planner should have been part of that patch.

Well for me it matters. The 0.24 trailer implies that there will be a 2nd part. I wonder now at the end what will come, since the main feature for 0.24 has been postponed.

Because if they move something forward from other features now, it would mean that they are developing something without a plan. At least for me there is a lot of fuss with 0.24, because they haven't really brought anything since 0.23 except for bug fixes. And any bought stone textures and a tree generator certainly doesn't take 5 months.

It feels like NQ now have even less collective incenitive to hurry somewhere, then before. Booted JC kinda took serious chunk of failure baggage with him, somwhat defusing situation (psychologically). New money from Quanta Nick secured paychecks. Release postponed comfortably to (at least) 2022, so there is no hot deadlines to bother with.

Now they can actualy afford relativly lazy walk to MVP (this is not totaly bad thing, but... not good either).

Yet, at this point, speaking toxicaly, I think it will be more cat & mouse game with Nick to survive on his goodwill (pleasing him with fancy paperwork and BS), then any sincere comitment to older "promises", especialy to initial backers. I see it like we beyond this point and pretty much betrayed.

50 minutes ago, Niemand said:

17th of june is the day DU will die.

Source please? Oh wait, you don't have one... you're referring to the supposed saviour who will blow Elite Dangerous, Space Engineers, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky and Dual Universe out of the water—Starbase.
I hate to break it to you, but you're expecting a newly released Alpha to literally be better than a game which has had significantly more funding behind it. Not all game studios are equal, but I guarantee your expectations are far too high to claim even remotely Starbase will kill DU.

Not hating on Starbase, but people are planning on jumping ship... to another, smaller ship, overload it and potentially sink it in the process.

22 minutes ago, Niemand said:

calm down m8. i did not say any of this

im just happy for an alternative

I was going to say some stuff, but realized it was kinda unnecessary. If you genuinely see Starbase as an alternative rather than the "be-all", then that's the right mindset.

Yes a lot of people are waiting for June 17. I’ve heard of whole orgs planing their migration.

Somthe big question is, what would, and what could NQ pull out of their hat before the 17th that could slow this tide. I think a completely revamped PvP system might do it, but can’t see it before 17 June (or the end of the year really).

Any idea what they could pull off in that time to slow down the drift? Not sure if missions by themselves would be enough ☹️

1 hour ago, CoyoteNZ said:

Yes a lot of people are waiting for June 17. I’ve heard of whole orgs planing their migration.

Somthe big question is, what would, and what could NQ pull out of their hat before the 17th that could slow this tide. I think a completely revamped PvP system might do it, but can’t see it before 17 June (or the end of the year really).

Any idea what they could pull off in that time to slow down the drift? Not sure if missions by themselves would be enough ☹️

A start would be regular, transparent communication. One could take a cue from the competition, which has been doing this since the announcement of the game.

In terms of content? Nothing at all. You won't be able to do anything in a month. NQ should keep its head down and work like Hello Games did with NMS. Either it's going to be something, or it's not. Otherwise there are other products if they can' t get it right.

Truth is, majority of people who planning to try/migrate or do whatever on 17th, are already not playing DU. Not much will actualy change.

I, agree, realisticly, nothing can be done already in short run (momentum is severly lost, tech debt piled) -- only way is hard work on huge improvments for year or two, then game reset with full wipe, clean start for new wave of players (and surviving old). 2020 attempt to start game world, as for me, totaly compomised.

16 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

I wish we could honestly say that.  A lot of us will i'm sure.  But whole orgs from DU?  I'm afraid that may no longer be possible.  Just not enough of us around left.

The blame lies completely with the "visionaries" who did not see the damage coming from their actions.  I have seen MMO's fall apart like this horribly before over the decades, but not often.

SB is an awesome game, has a lot further to go but what it has so far is amazing (as DU was).  But it is a completely different game than DU.  A lot more pvp centered and it does that pvp in ways that DU could never even dream of accomplishing.  DU is simply incapable of it.  But the mere idea of pvp will turn a lot of DU players away, hell it will have them running screaming from SB out of fear.  Which is too bad.  Even pvp'ers from DU will be in for a rude shock in SB if they think its a simple gank fest,  because it actually requires a lot of skill and not time investment in building a miner killing ship.  It really is dog-fighting ship to ship combat, not a click and reload mini-game (has to be experienced to really understand, some people will simply not be able to do it).

I guess we will see what happens next month with both games.  As long as we have something fun to play in one place or another then we all really should just be happy and I hope to join MTI/SLI wherever we end up.

My worry is that missing their goals (apparently by months) with 0.24 will make them even less willing to share deadlines and goals in the future. 

We really don't have any clue what they are working on or when it will be ready -- that's kind of odd for a game, especially a subscription-based MMO in Alpha. Their "roadmap" is not helpful -- it isn't even close to a reflection of what they can actually accomplish. 

So...it comes back to communication like always.

They managed to have 3 different posts about the future of DU without telling us anything about actual plans for the future! Even general goals for the rest of 2021 would be something. A revised roadmap? A monthly post about dev progress? A vague "in the next few months" sort of deal? 

But they can't even tell us when 0.24 phase 2 will drop...someone is still making some questionable decisions about dev priorities and velocity and how to communicate that progress to the community (as much to keep themselves accountable and on-track as it is to keep us informed about our subscription value) 

Now that JC is gone, maybe they gotta revamp the dev team leadership...something is clearly off beyond just tech debt.