Refinement of construct keys (as a feature)

Mjrlun

I won't be talking about deleting keys, as I talked about it in the following post, however, keep in mind that I think those improvements should be implemented as well:

First I would like some proper documentation on how the keys work, because they work completely unintuitively, in the sense that you cannot consume a key you created, and you cannot use them to transfer your ship to an organization, without first creating a key, and attempting to do so. The game doesn't tell you this.

The second feature I would like (as was mentioned in the post above), is the ability to consume your own construct key for yourself, to remove the "unable to interact with tokenized construct" lock out. This is there just in case people would like to experiment with construct keys, you shouldn't penalize someone for an hour just because they wanted to see how to transfer constructs to other people.

The last feature is the ability to make a special construct key that on top of giving ownership, also gives DRM ownership to the user of the key. This would be useful if you would like to give a full tradeoff to someone (including the DRM stuff of course). A simple scenario of this would be if you were playing with another person, where they placed down the core, but then you built the ship, but you can't just remove the ship and then replace the ship on a different core, just to have full DRM control over the ship. In addition, the ability to create these special keys should be in the codex along with normal construct keys.

P.S. can we increase in game and out of game documentation? The wiki seems abandoned...

Odd, I never seem to have issues using my own construct keys (in live) while many others do.

What I would personally like is to be able to change the expiry time on keys. When you have a ship for sale it would be nice to be able to make a one week key. Then store it either in a dispenser, or if not possible in a container accessible via Lua tricky.

This way ship builders could sell their ships as tokens without having to make the token on the fly.

of course it would have to be made that you can’t make a new key until the current one has expired. 

Keys are a little on the buggy side, most of this is just something that requires a bug report. If I recall correctly the documentation for how it was all to work was released back in alpha (when the feature came out). Re-releasing it in a non-NDA thing may be a decent idea.

As for the DRM stuff, there are RDMS settings that allow someone full access to your ship (edit, copy, make bp, ect...). While I'm fairly certain it doesn't let you entirely transfer DRM rights, it should be sufficient for every scenario I can think of except "a player selling their core-size placement skills to newer players" and "a player selling total & absolute rights to a design forever to another player". These are not invalid scenarios, but not huge either. Right now I would personally put them somewhere on the list of things to do below "improving construct visuals in this game", which itself should be rather low on the list given how amazing stuff looks already.

As for extended token time, that may need some work to keep lag down. A lot full of already skilled ships that can be sold to any joe that walks up isn't a bad idea, but as you can just sell whole ships via dispensers to anyone with the linked container space and get skills from skilled people with a quick trip through some drop-down menus,  I wouldn't give it the highest priority either...