DEVBLOG: DOCKING AND BOARDING REVAMP - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

• NQ-Deckard changed the title to DEVBLOG: DOCKING AND BOARDING REVAMP - Discussion Thread

Really like this devblog.  Repulsing ships that try to ram you in pvp will be nice.  As people build "kinetic impactors" to try to intercept a larger construct where the aim is to get the larger construct to collide with the kinetic impactor destroying the target.  The other thing in PVP it is common for people to logoff chars on rival pvp ships so they can easily track locations.  Furthermore people taking this step further by carrying as much weight in nanopacks to weigh down a target construct to reduce its performance.  Very cool I really like this thumbs up NQ.

Globaly, I like the idea !

The docking and boarding rights use is logical.
The build helper addition is good to be able to monitor it.

Anyway ... the docking procedure become more "complex", more steps. A thing that could be not appreciated. Could be may be improved later with a right management with Lua, to be able to implement board system asking docking request and autorize by Lua ...etc

The boarding system ... humm.. on one side, it's good to control who is in your construct. And think about expositions with the "deactivated" status is good.
Just certainly consider to reauthorize entering of players in active constructs when we will have to ways to defend, with the AvA.

Currently, considering there is no ways to act against a players, I'm for !

Good addition ! ?

This will lead to a Post release AVA problem but thats nothing more than disabling the repulse in contested territories.

Not tested yet but something is missing here. If someone unauthorised approches in a shuttle, there should be a quick fire request 1 time authorisation to dock and the parent owner gets to accept or reject. Anyone interested in Taxi services, giving newbies rides etc etc should not have to mess about with RDMS pages every time, thats mind numbing.

I agree with the changes and we very much needed a solution to some major docking issues currently faced, especially in space.  However I'm hoping that this will not affect pirates ability to dock/manuever a destroyed ship onto their carrier in order to stop it from moving at 30k km allowing you to replace the core and acquire salvage from it. If you have to set RDMS permissions each time, this will have a serious negative affect on PVP in general.

I think this makes sense now. Boarding parties aren't feasible without AvA and the speeds and rubberbanding involved in combat, will probably need a whole new boarding game mechanic to get around that

Well it's getting there! - Please can we have ship to ship docking be more immersive so the docked ship must be on a purpose made pad (maybe landing gear to landing enabled special honeycomb material) and not just floating next/ near You could even make a set of landing pad models in all the wrong sizes and shapes that we have to buy with schematics at say 629 gazzillion Q for the small - don't forget to post them for 1Q each at 0400am so the vampires can pick em up for cheap. (Fascescious comedy - you guys are doing a sterling job!)

Again docking to Space Stations via a Docking Collar to collar /or material. The whole problem of larger ships taking smaller ships with them is an immersion killer! Please don't make it distance based!

Markee D will be happy about the ejection mechanic and it sounds good.

Just now, Haunty said:

I think this makes sense now. Boarding parties aren't feasible without AvA and the speeds and rubberbanding involved in combat, will probably need a whole new boarding game mechanic to get around that

a boarding party mechanic: when shields come around, the shields might have to go down to go in, or you have to disable a certain module they introduce later on... that would be good.

also a few other questions for NQ:

-how will the docking pulses work around markets? there is a fear of bouncing ships everywhere

-will the process of new docking be any different with static structures?

Just now, SirJohn85 said:

So guys, let's be clear: if you want ship raiding as content, you don't go to Dual Universe, you go to Starbase.

Incorrect. You are speaking of things you have no insight into. It would be very easy to create gameplay mechanics to disable/disrupt this.  Don't jump to all doom and gloom and have a little imagination.

3 minutes ago, ManfredSideous said:

Incorrect. You are speaking of things you have no insight into. It would be very easy to create gameplay mechanics to disable/disrupt this.  Don't jump to all doom and gloom and have a little imagination.

What are you talking about? AvA won't be out before release nor do you have any form of way to eliminate the player character today. And that won't change until release, or rather AvA post launch.

The facts don't care what your imagination is. 

I'm not sure this is a good thing. It may destroy even more the PVP aspect. I believe docking and u docking should happen like it would happen in real. You have a gear? The gear touch the other construct? The gear will lock you to it. No gear no lock. Not contact with the construct through a gear no lock. The gear should have the technology to dock and undock. This will still allow PVP where in an hypothetical future ships can board another ship for a close combat or salvaging.

3 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

What are you talking about? AvA won't be out before release nor do you have any form of way to turn off the player character today. And that won't change until release, or rather AvA post launch.

The facts don't care what your imagination is. 

giphy.gif

#istandwithDU

In my opinion the update is a meh. How much % of the playerbase will actually care for this mechanic ? I'd much rather see Asteroids, PVP performance improvement to begin with. 

Damn you people are whiny.

This change is awesome.  Docking is simplified, not made harder - much better than the maneuver tool jankiness.  Though floating 'docked' ships may look a bit odd.  

The only form of 'boarding' DU has today is where you take an alt and logout on someone's ship when they're not online.  Which part of that is fun?  It is very nice that NQ has finally cleared that up, so people like Markee aren't constantly being harassed, and until we have AvA there's no downsides.  We may see some changes once AvA is in, who knows

While I would enjoy some AvA combat, I don't see that coming for some time, and it will probably require a lot of mechanical rework, so I'm not thinking too heavily on that right now.

I'm wondering how maneuver tool mechanics will work... One of the major weaknesses of docking as I've seen it is that if you are in someone else's tile, they can rip your docked constructs off of your ship, and that can cause some brutal headaches. With this new system, can the maneuver tool affect the whole group of constructs, not individual ones? Force separation of docked constructs to happen through one of those UI options, maybe?

a) Will there be a visual indicator about something being docked? So when hover over the construct you can see a (docked) added to the name without having to go into build mode or the seat.

b) Can I land on another ship without bouncing off like rubberized cardboard now?

c) Do I have to be always inside my static construct to use the repulsor and prevent people from getting inside? Is this even meant for static constructs aswell?

D) Can I still dock my own constructs to other owned constructs with the maneuver tool?

1 hour ago, MoriarTheChosen said:

While the docking is nice, I am firmly against the Eject players.

SInce the dawn of time, stowaways have been a staple of history. If someone is able to infiltrate a ship, they should be able to. 

I have to agree and disagree, If a player is infiltrated he should be able to fix that issue.

But for a docking system overall this seems pretty nice and hopefull.

I like it, nice one ta NQ. :) 

Also like the idea of a pop up if another ship comes close, and maybe a tick box 'reject all docking requests'.

And I think it would be cool if docked ships had the option to be more proactive and not just dead weight, engines, brakes, wings etc i.e. stats added to parent