Sense of Wonder

One of the most important aspects of a work of science fiction (game or otherwise) is the ability for it to convey a sense of wonder. Wonder...it's a feeling of awakening caused by the expansion of one's awareness of what's possible (paraphrased from Wikipedia.)

Does or did Dual Universe ever give you a sense of wonder? To what degree? What could be done to improve the game's ability to convey this feeling?

I admit I did get a sense of wonder about building my first ship which was able to just even fly. After being stuck running and/or hovering on the ground for perhaps a few hours or days, I felt awestruck even just being able to create something that could fly. Once I was able to reach space, I had even more of this fabled sense of wonder.

I think the game does convey a lot of wonder but there could always be more things to add to the experience. As many people have said, the planets could look more interesting and have more varied environments - this would make exploring more fun. Space itself could also use more features to be able to convey this wonder.

oo du is a wonder machine!!

it first wonderously robs you of your free time , then it wonderfully chisels away your remaining braincells leaving just enough of them to ragequit it ...but the wonder goes on as even having du wiped from my pc for months i still find myself takin a piss at it every so often. maybe just pure convenience my dam wonderful browser never logs me out of this site,

i wonder what the next stage is in the lifecycle of an ex du wonderer 

For me I still remember the first time I discovered and explored one of those huge underground/water cave systems, and how it gave me a sense of wonder and excitement.

But sadly as with most things in this game, it is only skin deep with no real content or advantage to be found. So the excitement wore of very quickly.

Same with flying into space and the first time you approach a new planet, very exiting. But again, once you get past the new biome and different allocation of ore in the ground, it is just more of the same with magical markets that just are there with no explanation how their where built.

10 hours ago, aliensalmon said:

Does or did Dual Universe ever give you a sense of wonder? To what degree? What could be done to improve the game's ability to convey this feeling?

To me, the moment i get a "sense of wander" is when i achieve a stable, circular, low orbit (8km alt) and i exit my seat, open the side door and look at the atmosphere of the planet below. 

It looks so close, i feel like i can reach it with my hand. 

I stay there for 1 or 2 minutes looking as the planet surface passes by below me, in wander. 

Then i see my destination raising from below the planet's curvature and its time to go back to my seat and initiate slow down maneuvers. 

17 hours ago, aliensalmon said:

What could be done to improve the game's ability to convey this feeling?

Quests.

Most PPL here found this "wander" moments by chance or curiosity.

NQ could make admin sponsored quests focused on PPL experiencing this moments:

"
Find the lost medallion
Reward 100 000 quanta

An Ark explorer lost the family medallion he brought from Earth, 10000 years ago in a cave complex underground.

Go to the waypoint and look for a container with the medallion side.

Bring the medallion to any market

" -> explore underground caves

"

Repair Freighter ship

Reward 200 000 quanta

We received a freighter SOS call. The captain reports that his main engine is down and he has no means to repair it.

Go to the freighter waypoint, match tier velocity.

Approach the freighter via EVA and repair their main again

" -> EVA at high speed (scary)

"

Urgent market resupply

Reward 50 000 quanta

A special package, needing a special container needs to be transported between market 5 and market 10, but the package needs to be delivered in less than 5 minutes.

Get the package at market 5

Reach orbit

Deliver the package in market 10

" -> See planet from a close orbit perspective.

On 5/4/2021 at 2:34 AM, aliensalmon said:

One of the most important aspects of a work of science fiction (game or otherwise) is the ability for it to convey a sense of wonder. Wonder...it's a feeling of awakening caused by the expansion of one's awareness of what's possible (paraphrased from Wikipedia.)

I admit I did get a sense of wonder about building my first ship which was able to just even fly. After being stuck running and/or hovering on the ground for perhaps a few hours or days, I felt awestruck even just being able to create something that could fly. Once I was able to reach space, I had even more of this fabled sense of wonder.

I think the game does convey a lot of wonder but there could always be more things to add to the experience. As many people have said, the planets could look more interesting and have more varied environments - this would make exploring more fun. Space itself could also use more features to be able to convey this wonder.

my first few hours probably gave me the most awe, going around in my speeder seeing all the massive constructs on sanctuary. unfortunately as soon as you get a flying construct that kind of awe is lost.