Reduce Player Size

Mjrlun

Agree with post?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Choose:

• I agree with all of it
    • I agree with none of it
    • I agree with making the player heights shorter, but not setting our own player height
    • I agree with allowing the players to set their own height while editing their avatar, but not setting the default player height shorter
    • Other (leave comment)

IDK if it's just me, but I find it quite unnerving that the player size is absurdly tall (exactly 2 meters). Especially for the sake of allowing smaller interiors to not feel so cramped, as well as making the player generally feel more like themselves (but in an alternate universe, AKA immersion), I think it makes more sense for the player to be 6.5-7 blocks tall. While a minor change, I think it would be a welcome addition.

If the devs are willing to go further, I think that the players should be able to set their player height (within reason) when making their character (and/or when we edit our avatars as well). Would be a welcome addition on my part.

One of the reasons they probably did this was so that players, when designing ships, wouldn't end up creating ships that some player models couldn't get through........personally I think this is fine.

The other reason though would be that the logical choice for height would be the absolute minimum you can be so you can create smaller interiors which weigh less though I would imagine this would be a really small (get it) advantage :)

The other issue with this would be how would you change the avatars height....I doubt they factored in a mechanic to allow for customisation of your character post creation?

On 5/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, Mjrlun said:

IDK if it's just me, but I find it quite unnerving that the player size is absurdly tall (exactly 2 meters).  Especially for the sake of allowing smaller interiors to not feel so cramped

The thing is, that the only thing that we have to measure a meter by in the game is a voxel.  So making the character smaller, also makes a voxel larger, by comparison.  

Smaller voxels give us more voxels in an area, to work with, which allows you to build in more detail.  Larger voxels would only make it harder to build a small feeling interior with any detail.

If the interior of your ship feels too cramped, build it a little bit larger.  You have complete control of the scale of the stuff you build, a meter is only a meter because NQ says it is.

Getting the scale of the stuff you build to feel right, can be hard.  But making the voxels larger would only make it that much harder.

It's on NQ to get the scale of the elements right.  That can always be adjusted.

1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

The thing is, that the only thing that we have to measure a meter by in the game is a voxel.  So making the character smaller, also makes a voxel larger, by comparison. 

This, while it might seem to be the case, isn't. It isn't how projection works. All that's changing is the camera's position in 3D space, nothing else. You don't zoom in or anything. A voxel looks the same size as it would on any other player's screen if they keep their FOV and resolution the same. The only difference would be the relative angle you look at it from. Nothing else.

3 hours ago, EasternGamer said:

This, while it might seem to be the case, isn't. It isn't how projection works. All that's changing is the camera's position in 3D space, nothing else. You don't zoom in or anything. A voxel looks the same size as it would on any other player's screen if they keep their FOV and resolution the same. The only difference would be the relative angle you look at it from. Nothing else.

Well yes, i know they aren't actually larger.  They aren't real either.

The only "size" that voxels have, in the game, is their size relative to the player.  And to the elements.  Otherwise they are just cubes, on a screen.

If the player is smaller, the voxels are larger. 

It is very weird for me to read this topic.
I am convinced that a voxel is exactly 25 centimeters.
4 voxels make 1 meter.
Normally you can check this with the world coordinates.

My character is also 7 voxels high (he passes without bumping under a beam at this height) which corresponds to 1.75m.

We are not far from the average European size, right?

Crazy talk but a way to make our own elements would be very good for the game. Stats and what not could be all skilled based and really we are all only modifying the cosmetic look, packaging them, and selling them as player created element "skins".