Squidrew_

Which do you prefer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Remove nebula
    • Keep nebula
    • Other major change (comment)

7 minutes ago, Squidrew_ said:

Right! Damn was it something when I first witnessed the sun set on Alioth. It was magical to see night. Really gave me that classic Star Trek/Star Wars vibe and hooked me just like you.

Exactly. For me it was the first trip to the moon.  Then landing and looking out at all the stars and darkness of space.  And seeing alioth glowing there.  It just had a feel to it that wasn't cartoony at all.  It just felt "right". 

image.png.7b967351968dbaee072981bcf757b5a9.png

No one is asking for complete blackness, and your lighting issues existin tandem with the nebula.

Have to think of the right way to word it, but basically the old skybox worked just fine and people loved it.  So why is he talking about total blackness that's not what people are saying? Their lighting system is still trash with the nebula it just ads a green glow that is stupid.  Literally the only old complaint was moons around alioth on the dark side were "really dark" and people crashed...but so what it was easy to not crash once u understood the elevation and payed attention when u fly, And moons suck for everything so not like people were going there in droves,  it was just back in early Alpha there was no sanctuary, so EVERY newbie that finally built a ship capable of going to space and warp wasn't in the game....guess where their first destination was? The moon, And many were inexperienced so crashed, not just because they went to the dark side, but didn't use space breaks, flew 8k speed not knowing they couldn't slow down in time, etc  So a very small minority complained it was the lightning was to blame, which it wasn't 99% of time. 
Literally everyone first space flight was to the moon in Alpha, every thing else was 1-4 hours away, so as a newbie moon made logical sense.

1 hour ago, VandelayIndustries said:

image.png.7b967351968dbaee072981bcf757b5a9.png

No one is asking for complete blackness, and your lighting issues existin tandem with the nebula.

Have to think of the right way to word it, but basically the old skybox worked just fine and people loved it.  So why is he talking about total blackness that's not what people are saying? Their lighting system is still trash with the nebula it just ads a green glow that is stupid.  Literally the only old complaint was moons around alioth on the dark side were "really dark" and people crashed...but so what it was easy to not crash once u understood the elevation and payed attention when u fly, And moons suck for everything so not like people were going there in droves,  it was just back in early Alpha there was no sanctuary, so EVERY newbie that finally built a ship capable of going to space and warp wasn't in the game....guess where their first destination was? The moon, And many were inexperienced so crashed, not just because they went to the dark side, but didn't use space breaks, flew 8k speed not knowing they couldn't slow down in time, etc  So a very small minority complained it was the lightning was to blame, which it wasn't 99% of time. 
Literally everyone first space flight was to the moon in Alpha, every thing else was 1-4 hours away, so as a newbie moon made logical sense.

Why is "Deckard" writing this in Discord and not here? ...

And, btw, that is a RED HERRING what he is doing.

And to answer his question: Yes, I have looked into space without light pollution - I am an astronomer and an astrophotographer. And space is dark, really really dark - in fact, mostly pitch black.
He KNOWS we are not talking about having a completely black space as in: no stars and so .... but he is playing dumb, and that is, quite frankly, demeaning.

6 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Why is "Deckard" writing this in Discord and not here? ...

And, btw, that is a RED HERRING what he is doing.

And to answer his question: Yes, I have looked into space without light pollution - I am an astronomer and an astrophotographer. And space is dark, really really dark - in fact, mostly pitch black.
He KNOWS we are not talking about having a completely black space as in: no stars and so .... but he is playing dumb, and that is, quite frankly, demeaning.

100% its demeaning. Especially since we are also mainly talking about the old sky box that worked just fine in alpha.  Their problems were the other lighting from elements and other things that needed tweaks development.   They are deflecting and making it seem like all or nothing.  Its quite rude to say because we enjoyed the immersion of the old skybox and not the crappy nebula, that we want some pitch black like turning off your monitor.  Honestly their attitude about legitimate feedback of their game is really really shitty. 

Not to mention, its kind of like a compliment when we say we want the old skybox back. We are saying you guys NAILED it the first time, and only minor tweaks might be needed for the dark areas or tweaks with how element lighting works.  

The current nebula is pretty good designed since its evenly without some spots which are too penetrant or something. It basically fits in every scene.

I just would prefer to have less of a cyan tone and make it more "neutral" so to say.
At the screenshot i have attached (After and before) i reduced the cyan tone by 70% and made it a bit darker.
If i would make a spacegame i would make it like that.

The glowing stones are a whole different story tho. :D

Unbenannt-1.jpg

image.png.feb4009ca6bfddb7912a278c909356be.png

13 minutes ago, Scavenger said:

The current nebula is pretty good designed since its evenly without some spots which are too penetrant or something. It basically fits in every scene.

I just would prefer to have less of a cyan tone and make it more "neutral" so to say.
At the screenshot i have attached (After and before) i reduced the cyan tone by 70% and made it a bit darker.
If i would make a spacegame i would make it like that.

The glowing stones are a whole different story tho. :D

Unbenannt-1.jpg

image.png.feb4009ca6bfddb7912a278c909356be.png

Yours does look infinitely better.  Id like the stars to be more prominent since that loos like u on a moon so no atmosphere blocking vision.  And ya the rocks are the worse thing i probably seen in a game visual wise.

The people have spoken NQ,  Nebula has got to go.

12 minutes ago, Haunty said:

At least let players choose which aesthetic to use in settings. There's no gameplay reason to lock everyone to the same thing.

I could definitely get on board with that.  and lets be honest, a few skybox tweaks are not high level development.  Ive played around with Unreal Engine 4 and made my own skybox in 30min before and thats someone who has less than 10 hours total in UE4.

In Deckard's defense, that was said during a casual conversation about the nebula between only a few people. It's likely that Deckard didn't realize the depth the issue had within the community and the passion that was behind it

• 5 weeks later...

I ran across a Youtube video which pretty much spot on shows what, for me, is worng with the skybox AND with the "warp effect" in DU. I link it HERE

The "speed"/warp effect is similar but much less "in your face" which makes it work better IMO.. The way  the blackness of space works with the nebulae and the planet in this video pretty much paints the picture..

6 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

I ran across a Youtube video which pretty much spot on shows what, for me, is worng with the skybox AND with the "warp effect" in DU. I link it HERE

The warp effect is similar but much less "in your face" which makes it work better IMO.. The way  the blackness of space works with the nebulae and the planet in this video pretty much paints the picture..

Definitely a good video.  The white lines passing are usually to indicate stars tho right? At least in sci-fi shows. But we only warp within a single solar system.  I feel like some polish is needed with the white lines when we speed up going past 2k speed,  but if they stick with it the video you linked is definitely much less in your face and Is way more visually pleasing.

30 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

Yeah, I changed the post a bit as it obviously applies to the > 2K effect as well as the warp effect.

Maybe @NQ-Deckard should have a look too ;)

I think the problem is them using the skybox as their main lighting source, but would like to hear Deckard or someone comment on this.  The old skybox just looked so damn good, sucks to constantly see this game go backwards In so many areas. 

• 1 month later...