Jump to content

Why I think the nebula should be removed


Squidrew_
 Share

Which do you prefer?  

73 members have voted

  1. 1. Which do you prefer?

    • Remove nebula
      48
    • Keep nebula
      19
    • Other major change (comment)
      6


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Niemand said:

you think 24 votes matter while there are thousands of players outside of this trashy fanboy forum? looks like you are very low iq.

...the majority of the forum community believes in a dark, inky-black sky.
 

9 hours ago, Niemand said:

i dont know why find my name so funny, must be another low iq thing.

If no one knows the irony, "Niemand" is German/Dutch/Afrikaans for "Nobody" 🤣
"NOBODY CARES, dual universe is scifi fantasy and so is freelancer."
"nobody wants the realistic black empty space of nothing"


I considered it ironic that a person named "niemand", the word for "nobody" in another language, used the word "Nobody" in a way that can be interpreted in a way to say "EASTERNGAMER CARES," and "easterngamer wants..."
I have no idea why you have to assume intelect based on comment meant to be a joke. Your username isn't a joke, the context of your words made it ironic. Irony is funny.
Really, no offense was ever intended towards you or anyone else.

I was just correcting your statement that "nobody cares" is a completely false statement. There are people who do care—like myself, and 15 others agree with me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Niemand said:

looks like you are very low iq. i dont know why find my name so funny, must be another low iq thing. just dont talk you are the joke here.

Can you specify your rated IQ? So we can have a measurement of how high do ppl stop using arguments and start using insults? 

 

(ps: reported) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2021 at 12:48 PM, EasternGamer said:

Sorry, but "Niemand", oh the irony, it's pretty clear by both the poll and the comments, the majority of the forum community believes in a dark, inky-black sky. I would agree.

 

How about ppl having a switch on options? 

Cant that be a option just because you "forgot" to place it in your poll? 

 

Can i do a poll where the options are:

1 - End mankind 

2 - Give me 1B quanta? 

 

And when 1 guy votes to give me 1B quanta i say "the players have spoken!! " 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why everyone is so agro about this topic. 

3 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

Cant that be a option just because you "forgot" to place it in your poll? 


What do you mean by this?
You mean like a third "option" where you can enter your own, or did you mean like a option to change your vote?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EasternGamer said:

I'm not sure why everyone is so agro about this topic. 


What do you mean by this?
You mean like a third "option" where you can enter your own, or did you mean like a option to change your vote?

 

So you strongly believe that everyone that read the options would choose that option if they slightly disagree with both options?

If yes, how do you explain so many "comments" and only 3 votes on that option?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

 

So you strongly believe that everyone that read the options would choose that option if they slightly disagree with both options?

If yes, how do you explain so many "comments" and only 3 votes on that option?

People generally like to comment. I like to comment. Some people will explain their choice in more depth, others will fight for their choice and argue with those that disagree with them, etc. One person can comment more than once as well. But, to look at it from your perspective, I see what you're getting at. It's like a "luke-warm" poll. Not many people really care what the sky looks like, as long as the game is fun. So they choose without really thinking too much about it.

I like the idea of a dark sky, but my reasons for it are weak and/or completely subjective. However, I probably won't be changing my mind.
The main issue is the DU needs to fix some more apparent lighting issues, like that light bleeds through voxels, where in other games it doesn't, and that your eyes adjust to "darkness" when you're still in a bright room.
But these are all nice-to-haves, and far from necessities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

People generally like to comment. I like to comment. Some people will explain their choice in more depth, others will fight for their choice and argue with those that disagree with them, etc. One person can comment more than once as well. But, to look at it from your perspective, I see what you're getting at. It's like a "luke-warm" poll. Not many people really care what the sky looks like, as long as the game is fun. So they choose without really thinking too much about it.

I like the idea of a dark sky, but my reasons for it are weak and/or completely subjective. However, I probably won't be changing my mind.
The main issue is the DU needs to fix some more apparent lighting issues, like that light bleeds through voxels, where in other games it doesn't, and that your eyes adjust to "darkness" when you're still in a bright room.
But these are all nice-to-haves, and far from necessities.

I chose to keep the nebula, because, given a choice in options i would select "keep" 

 

So both "keep" and "have a choice" were valid to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

The nebula is pretty much a cheap way to not have to fix a more mprominent issue, local lighting. 

Lights in DU have always been sketchy and really have not changed much, if at all. 

 

Doing lighting right is not easy and personally I coudl live with a reasoning that the nebula is here now but will be replaced once devs get around to implementing proper lighting. Right now NQ has bigger fish to fry.. such as keeping their own lights on..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

The nebula is pretty much a cheap way to not have to fix a more mprominent issue, local lighting. 

Lights in DU have always been sketchy and really have not changed much, if at all. 

 

 

 

Thats is pretty much it, the nebula looks "cheap".   The old skybox at least had a great feel to it.  You really felt you were "in space".  Probably should be easy for NQ to revert it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Warlander said:

 

I know you want a PvP game but they didnt bother to make one with any meaningful purpose that promotes people working together as a collection of orgs working together vs everyone fighting themselves for no point and with no consiquences. Remove the bubbles and see how fast this game burns to the ground. It takes too long to build vs destroy so its going to be a quick creshendo and game over. 

 

what are you talking about, this post has nothing to do with pvp, just the way the skybox looks, and the "feel" or immersion of DU.  The green hue of the nebula looks cartoony at best.  Im guessing you didnt play during alpha?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MarioSpaghetti said:

 

what are you talking about, this post has nothing to do with pvp, just the way the skybox looks, and the "feel" or immersion of DU.  The green hue of the nebula looks cartoony at best.  Im guessing you didnt play during alpha?

 

Sorry posted in the wrong window I had open.

 

With the skybox I would rather see somekind of generic weather skybox and having nebulas in the space skybox. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MarioSpaghetti said:

 

Thats is pretty much it, the nebula looks "cheap".   The old skybox at least had a great feel to it.  You really felt you were "in space".  Probably should be easy for NQ to revert it.

 

To me the current skybox makes the game look smaller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

 

To me the current skybox makes the game look smaller.

 

Thinking about it, i do agree with you.  the game did feel BIG during alpha with the old sky box.  The blackness and void of space.  To me it really is a no brainer for NQ to change their skhybox back, and it really isnt something that takes huge development time.  Some tweaks with lighting  down the road, but i liked that some moons were dark as fuck on the opposite side of the sun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2021 at 3:08 PM, Squidrew_ said:

I believe that the nebula skybox should be replaced with a realistic, dark and starry skybox, akin to the old one prior to Alpha 3. Here are my arguments,

 

The nebula was originally introduced as an immersive way to increase ambient lighting in Dual Universe, making it easier to see at night. This is mentioned in NQ's Dev Diary on YouTube. However, this was nullified in 0.24 with the reduction of ambient light brightness.

 

This is personal preference however I believe many will agree; the ambient light level does not have to match the skybox's brightness. For example, take this image of Pre-Alpha Thades. Its dark side is heavily illuminated, as I'm sure it would look on the surface as well. You'd be able to see. Compared to current Thades, I think most of us can agree that it still looks far better, and it could be taken down a notch if it's too bright. Additionally, with the introduction of the nebula, the atmospheres were changed to the same blue color we're all used to. I'm guessing this was done as a result of a technical limitation relating to the new skybox. So, think; If I'm right about this, we could have a Thades that looks like this, for example:

1910419012_oldthades.thumb.png.5e4ca5773b5a5b4a7aad98b7ff52b010.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Current Thades, for comparison:

1906924290_newthades.thumb.png.4b8430d6737ffa677d2fd77b620dbc22.png

 

You see where I'm coming from?

 

The way I see it, removing the nebula would provide so much in the way of fidelity, immersion and polish. It wouldn't affect gameplay either. Furthermore, I believe this change would solve many, many of DU's lighting glitches and "rough spots," at the very least making them look far better, and would provide much more polished lighting, both on ground and on a planetary scale. I simply don't see what the nebula adds other than style, but it sacrifices fidelity in a lot of key areas. Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots to back up that claim, so you're gonna have to take my word for it as an Alpha 1 player who knows how lighting used to interact with the old skybox.

 

The nebula may be beautiful to some, but honestly, changing it would add so much in the way of polish — which I believe is far more important and is what this game needs right now. Not to mention, many people were dismayed at the release of this nebula, and I'm taking a wild guess by saying that most players would like this change. I know my friends and I would.

 

Please consider this, Novaquark.

 

Similar post by Mjrlun

 

If you actually go to the youtube video post, like all the comments talking about the nebula are negative, and say how bad it looks.  Maybe NQ should take that feeback?  we want DARK space!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The nebula is find in itself, it is part of space. It is however not a source of illumination in space which si what NQ uses it for..

 

I mean look, this is what I imagine space would look like.

 

Fair enough, EVE's skybox is not a simple 1 layer image, it is quite complex actually and the nebula in this image is actually a layer in several that make up the skybox, which allows the designers to make it look and act like .,. a nebula
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this!

 

I hope that someone from NQ at least reads this. And if they do, I'd love it if they replied just to let us know where they're at. I know that this is probably a minor change in the grand scheme of things, but since the engine supported this type of lighting at some point, I don't think it would be too challenging to revert it, at least internally to try it out.

 

We're all human, and these simple artistic changes can make a massive impact on players, far larger than one might expect. I truly believe you guys would attract more players from this. The world you're creating is meant to be emergent in its nature, with no set form, for the players to define, and to hold as diverse of a playerbase as possible. In theory, you'd want a skybox that compliments that — one that is beautiful and compliments any scenery (because it's black and realistic). Yet, as it is like a blank canvas and is open to interpretation, it doesn't push for any specific style, leaving a more organic and natural style the universe and its planets emergently develop if that makes any sense. Plus, it would draw in those who look for realism in games.

 

I think this skybox would compliment any scene, enhance immersion, be consistent with Dual Universe's vision and wouldn't even affect gameplay. I think it's one of those things that a lot of people want, but never actually ask for because it's purely aesthetic, so NQ never really knows the community wants it in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Squidrew_ said:

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this!

 

I hope that someone from NQ at least reads this. And if they do, I'd love it if they replied just to let us know where they're at. I know that this is probably a minor change in the grand scheme of things, but since the engine supported this type of lighting at some point, I don't think it would be too challenging to revert it, at least internally to try it out.

 

We're all human, and these simple artistic changes can make a massive impact on players, far larger than one might expect. I truly believe you guys would attract more players from this. The world you're creating is meant to be emergent in its nature, with no set form, for the players to define, and to hold as diverse of a playerbase as possible. In theory, you'd want a skybox that compliments that — one that is beautiful and compliments any scenery (because it's black and realistic). Yet, as it is like a blank canvas and is open to interpretation, it doesn't push for any specific style, leaving a more organic and natural style the universe and its planets emergently develop if that makes any sense. Plus, it would draw in those who look for realism in games.

 

I think this skybox would compliment any scene, enhance immersion, be consistent with Dual Universe's vision and wouldn't even affect gameplay. I think it's one of those things that a lot of people want, but never actually ask for because it's purely aesthetic, so NQ never really knows the community wants it in the first place.

 

I also think a lot of people currently playing the game were also not around back during Alpha 2 when we had the old amazing dark skybox and no glow rocks scattered all over the surface.  It was one thing that hooked me instantly.  The "feel" was just damn good for a sci-fi space game.  Like you said, its really such a small change that would have only positive effects for the game, and the immersion. 

 

At the very least, put it on the PTSD server so people can see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, VandelayIndustries said:

 

I also think a lot of people currently playing the game were also not around back during Alpha 2 when we had the old amazing dark skybox and no glow rocks scattered all over the surface.  It was one thing that hooked me instantly.  The "feel" was just damn good for a sci-fi space game.  Like you said, its really such a small change that would have only positive effects for the game, and the immersion. 

Right! Damn was it something when I first witnessed the sun set on Alioth. It was magical to see night. Really gave me that classic Star Trek/Star Wars vibe and hooked me just like you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...