Dual Universe as a "tech demo"

Regardless about you feel about Dual Universe as a game, I think some of you (myself included) can also consider it a "tech demo" of sorts (similar to other space games currently in development.)

How do you feel about Dual Universe, as it is now, as a "tech demo" of sorts?

I think it's a decent tech demo in terms of size and scope. It shows a big universe where you can move around a lot and build at least. The graphics of the voxels are decent. However, there's a lot of bugs that can hinder performance. Also, the planets and the rest of the environments are kinda bland with not many distinct features. And of course, gameplay issues are a big problem.

Unlike that other game some will still label a tech demo but that one has really gone past that and is an actual Alpha, I could agree that DU is pretty much that, a tech demo .. yes. There is no cohesive gameplay in DU yet, it's a loose collection of possible game mechanics. Whether it ever becomes a game will first and foremost depend on whether new VC funding will arrive, something that has yet to be confirmed.

There is a foundation here for sure. Not enough for a great game yet but for one players would have been happy to play until more content was added. 

To give the game its due:  I enjoyed building up my factory and the challenge of arranging pieces to get the most functionality out of it.  I still like just flying around in the atmosphere and the transition from atmosphere to space is a great experience. 

Had the game gone into beta a little closer to being a real beta - with at least asteroid mining providing a reason to PVP,  If there had been no market bots,  If some of the worst bugs had been dealt with.   DU might not be in the state it is now.  The tech isn't the biggest problem.  The game design has been a disaster from the start. 

Maybe someone will apply some good game design and make something amazing with this tech. 

If the original devs can’t prevent community visible item duplication bugs, inventory teleportation, and similar.  A third party will be against a hopeless cause to prevent them in their own game.

likewise with how abysmal the devs have been at tracking down the bugs and fixing financial damage, means they’re missing a major selling point in tracking/reporting.

there’s also the fact that “empty” areas can suck bandwidth at 5mbps usage averages.  Most developers will face financial pressure to have rates in the low kbps ranges.

basically the tech is useless to a third party.