Time to move on..

blazemonger

Hilmar may not be the perfect CEO. But he understands the game and he knows what he needs to do to keep the game alive and generating a healthy profit YoY. He has also actively played the game from early on. He is also able to make tough calls for the good of the game and has a deep understanding around many crucial aspects of the game. It is why he has been CEO for 17 years now and has been able to at least  deliver stable leadership and performance with regards to revenue. He also does not shy away from tough questions by talking around the issue.

But this is not about CCP, EVE or their CEO. 

I understand your POV but I do not share it. I do not need to try and find a way to convince you you are wrong as I know full well that is pointless so I would not even try. Maybe you should consider doing the same and not try silly arguments that really have no relevance here.

I quit playing EVE because I found myself logging in and not really feeling like doing anything, it had nothing to do with the game or it's leadership. I choose to stop playing DU because I believe that currently it is a waste of my time, it doe snot provide what I expected it would and do not believe NQ will be able to make the game a success, despite its massive potential and promise, unless they make drastic changes in  the way they engage with het community and pull their collective heads out of the sand.

Initially I consider two possible outcomes for DU, right now I think there is three;

1. NG pull the plug as he has not found the company to be able to be turned around to justify a new investment round

2. NG restructures the company, pouts in the VC money and drives changes to get the company back on track, saving the game in the process

3. NG tries to right the ship with the resources he has. If he pushes change internally that may work but unless that change happens, NQ will fail

The problem is not the game, it is NQ. And yes, I could be completely wrong. But so far I have not seen anything telling me I am an din fact all I see is that I've been at least pretty close to what is going on right now, only time will tell.

@blazemonger You're very very far away from an average Joe. We know it by your english language blended with satirical/sarcastic skill. However I can't say the same about your creativity. I remember you were complaining about industry units and ships. Of course NQ didn't allow industry stuff while you're flying. You were so optimist a couple of weeks ago (when leak of CEO change) about NQ. What has changed?

Note: A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.

Note2: When I disagree with a rational Novean, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, s(he) will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit. That's why I wrote this off-topic thread of blaze.

Last note to blaze: Believe it or not I depressed when I see this thread created by you. You are one of the few Novean I would really like to see in this metaverse. You support non-aggression principle (NAP) which is most important to me.

28 minutes ago, rothbardian said:

I remember you were complaining about industry units and ships. Of course NQ didn't allow industry stuff while you're flying. 

If you remember that, do you also remember that I very quickly changed my mind and came out quite clearly that in hindsight I actually agreed with industry being limited to static cores but felt NQ had tried way to hard to cook up some bogus spins on their choice as the actual reasons made perfect sense in relation to the way they implemented industry initially and even more so in the second iteration. 

At the same time NQ missed several good opportunities to bring "out of nano former" crafting to dynamic constructs as well. I thought the "modular nanocrafter" was a great idea and would have added many possible gameplay options.

"Vision" is nothing more than a personal perspective on the realization of an idea. The vision for DU is great but the lack of sensibility in adjusting that vision as the reality of what is achievable catches up to the vision, is IMO what has brought NQ to its knees and with it put the vision for DU at risk. And there is only one person responsible for that and he was removed from the CEO position at NQ for that reason I am sure. Anyone who says a vision can't or should not change really has no grasp on the concept.

In addition to that, a CEO needs to be able to deal with ambiguity, be able to see around the fuzzy edges. And as the CEO for an innovative company, IMO you need to be able to support and nurture the ability and willingness to fail but do it fast enough to be able to pivot away to a better option. NQ has failed a number of times in the past 3.5 years but has consistently shown to not be able to recognize they did and then take many months to actually realize they did after all and then rushed out a "fix" which was in itself flawed. Anyone who has been around since pre-alpha has seen hese instances happen and happen multiple times.

Failing and making mistakes is not a problem, it is what you do to fix it and learn from it that defines success. And so far NQ has not learned much , if anything. Their general motto seems to still be "you just do not understand, so let us try and explain this again".

But as no amount of solid arguments I can put out here will convince you of anything but your own POV, I'm not going to continue on this discussion.

25 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

But as no amount of solid arguments I can put out here will convince you of anything but your own POV, I'm not going to continue on this discussion.

My point of view? Well, I always know what I want. And when you know what you want–you go toward it. Sometimes you go very fast, and sometimes only an inch a year. Perhaps you feel happier when you go fast. I don’t know. I’ve forgotten the difference long ago, because it really doesn’t matter, so long as you move.

1 hour ago, rothbardian said:

@blazemonger

When/why did you leave EVE? Did you made the same harsh criticism about Pétursson in early years of CCP?

Dude.. How about you stop this personal attack? 

If you think any of his criticisms are wrong, argument around it. 

But dont try discart all his opinions with a caracter assassination. 

56 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

Dude.. How about you stop this personal attack? 

If you think any of his criticisms are wrong, argument around it. 

But dont try discart all his opinions with a caracter assassination. 

So, you think his actions are just opinions and mine was character assassination? Assuming that you're reading English efficiently and you're not just a cleverly created alt by blaze himself, let me tell you something: JC is the hero of DU, his visions and knowledge incomparable to anyone in the field. Period.

People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don’t sit looking at it – walk.

Finally you have a worry about character assassination of blaze. Worry is a waste of emotional reserve. Nobody can damage reputation of blaze. His english usage is like swords in the hands of a samurai.

7 hours ago, rothbardian said:

JC is the hero of DU, his visions and knowledge incomparable to anyone in the field. Period.

Sure a game with his visions would be great to play. But his visions are impossible to realize... 

One of his visions is for players to build a civilization without any rules or guidance what so ever. 

The problem is that players that can dedicate that the ammount of time needed to guide others in the direction of a civilization are teenagers and adults without families or social life. 

How are this 2 groups of ppl suited to ignore their urges of selfish fun and work hard, really hard to make a civilization? 

How will they be able to enforce their org members to do boring government tasks? 

Who the hell wants to spend their weekend patrolling empty space? Hours and hours if seeing nothing, and doing nothing but burn fuel? 

Thats just one vision, but there are others impossible to implement. 

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see. The truth of metaverse is not for all Noveans but only for those who seek it. Novean who reject the responsibility of thought and reason can only exist as parasites on the thinking of others. The most depraved type of Novean being is the Novean without a purpose.

ssi1.jpg

4 hours ago, rothbardian said:

The truth of metaverse is not for all Noveans but only for those who seek it

Look. Im not gonna argue with you about your virtual faith. 

Have fun with it. 

But how will you and the other 5 guys that "accept the responsibility" build a civilization with 99.9% of the players trying to kill you and post memes about it just to not be bored? 

Will you ragequit with a prophetic sentence? 

I guess @rothbardian is a JC alt.. I see no other possibility here as the disability to actually take another POV on board are similar. Both hear the words others speak but refuse to listen to understand their meaning and both of them seem to think their personal reality bubble is the absolute truth. 

Talk about hijacking and derailing a thread.. sjees.

10 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Both hear the words other speak but refuse to listen to understand their meaning and both of them seem to think their personal reality bubble is the absolute truth

I'm just asking questions about the viability of JC's visions.
But instead of answers I'm getting: "you will never understand"

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2021 at 11:19 AM, rothbardian said:

Assuming that you're reading English efficiently and you're not just a cleverly created alt by blaze himself, let me tell you something: JC is the hero of DU, his visions and knowledge incomparable to anyone in the field. Period.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:56 AM, rothbardian said:

The truth of metaverse is not for all Noveans but only for those who seek it. Novean who reject the responsibility of thought and reason can only exist as parasites on the thinking of others.

I do love how the posts of arrogant people age so well... ;) 

Ah, the guy with no literally no experience in this field has "incomparable knowledge" 😅

Funny stuff. 

When we write here, we should stick to the truth and reality.
DualUniverse is supposed to become a game, currently it is a test version that would be described as alpha or beta.
To be fair, it should be called alpha, also because basic mechanics are still being worked on and will be removed from the game and added to the game.

In the end, at release, you expect a game, not a metaverse. It is simply not possible to build a real metaverse with such a small company, neither in terms of the number of employees, nor financially, and certainly not in terms of the hardware that would make it possible.

What used to be a dream of DualUniverse will remain a dream, from 20 years ago as a child I dreamed of bigger dreams, what should be feasible to keep me busy in a game. Perhaps this was also one of the reasons why I found the DualUniverse project so interesting. Unfortunately, I was very quickly pulled out of my dreams again when I got to know the game more closely on a daily basis and was able to really see what this game was all about. So actually very, very far away from the dreams I had as a child, but also very far away from what Novaquark had set as the direction for the game. It's disappointing, but at the same time I knew it would be too good to be true.

If we stay in reality, I would say that there will not be a metaverse within the next 20-30 years. There will certainly be a lot of companies trying to get rich from it, very few companies will try to build something similar, but in the end it wouldn't even come close to a metaverse. Maybe in 50-100 years, but only if humanity has solved other more pressing problems by then.

However, the game DualUniverse will not become a metaverse, not even in 50 years, because the basic framework does not seem to be capable, financially feasible or compatible with the possibilities that can be implemented in the game.

I hope that NQ will still release the game on the market, but bring it in a reasonable direction of a building game, so that the players can at least have fun building their dreams with voxels. That's all I expect from DualUniverse at the moment.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:00 AM, Zarcata said:

If we stay in reality, I would say that there will not be a metaverse within the next 20-30 years. There will certainly be a lot of companies trying to get rich from it, very few companies will try to build something similar, but in the end it wouldn't even come close to a metaverse. Maybe in 50-100 years, but only if humanity has solved other more pressing problems by then.

"only if humanity has solved other more pressing problems by then" is a really important point. 

The word "metaverse" was coined in the work "Snow Crash", a book by Neal Stephenson written in 1992.

Some nerds like JC obsess over the metaverse itself and ignore the themes of the book, which explores in part how the digital landscape is merely a sour reflection of real life inequality and racism. It really isn't meant to be inspirational (which is sometimes a criticism of the work). 

Many of the same people obsessed with the metaverse embrace the scammy world of NFTs, where they don't see an issue with $200 digital sneakers. Indeed, that's a fundamental part of their dream. 

Digital worlds won't be paradises, they will reflect the ambition and inequity of their capitalist builders. 

Until we can learn to value people in real life, a metaverse will hardly be an improvement to society...or does someone out there honestly believe organization like Meta are the best people to create (and monetize) a digital world and its denizens?

With how social media has impacted society, I would hope that people are more wary of how technological can shape society in negative ways...but sadly, I do see this concept continuing to move forward in the next few decades and expect it to be as greedy and evil as scifi authors imagine. 

I do think it's hilarious how web3/metaverse fanatics invariably seem to be nontechnical people that have a limited understanding of how technology actually works, yet have no issue claiming that blockchain or web3 is the inevitable future. 

@blazemonger I feel you, my only income ingame is what i get from LUA scripts, and i have been idling and not selling anything because i don't know for sure what will happen on release, WIPE? or NO WIPE, maybe semi WIPE?, if they wipe quantas, then i get nothing for selling scripts now and buyer still have a script.

Frustration is now what i get even by logging in the game, and i haven't logged in a week now.

I have decent PvP suite HUD, and there is ppl willing to buy it, but its on hold, until i know and i have been waiting for like 2 months now, so paying sub is getting more and more appealing to pay.

I have been playing No Man's Sky meanwhile, and im quite impressed by that game, universe is very alive, random events all around, its generating content when you play, and there is somekind of HUB now where all online players can go, group, do missions, explore or just hang around together.
Also you can play it in VR too which turns immersion knob even more on. I have Oculus S and game feels great.
Hello Games progress with NMS has been absolutely amazing compared to NQ's with DU.

When i logged in DU last time, i felt there is nothing there....anywhere, just dead. We really need more content.

I'm not leaving DU yet, but months with paying for nothing is starting to getting old...

-Rav