Resource and Crafting Revamp

fridaywitchx

Resource Revamp

Let’s give the resources stats. The same 4 type of stats for all the resources. You could grab a stack of resource and could "identify" them, and that would generate 4 random stats for resources. For example

Heat Resistance: 894
Cold Resistance: 390
Strength: 434
Decay Resistance : 900

Why would this be good?

1)      The stats of the resource would determine the end result of the crafting.

2)      Trading with resources will be exciting. Humans like collecting stuff ? which will keep them in the game.

Crafting Revamp

The issue with how crafting is designed is that pretty much everyone creates the same thing. If 10 players decide to manufacture Space Engine XL-s, then what we will be seeing over time is that they will start undercutting each other prices to a point where someone will sell the item for a loss.

The solution is that we need to introduce some variety.

What I am proposing is to introduce real crafting. It would be an extra step between when you buy the schematic and when you would put that schematic into the factories.

How would it work?

Let’s roll the dice. Let’s use the dice come up with an element’s stat just like in the old days.
You would have a crafting window where you could boost a specific stat on an element.

There would be 2 stages during crafting.

Build

where you assemble the item for the first time, 

You open the crafting window. You drag and drop the resources / sub-components you need for an item and you initiate crafting by hitting “Build”. This is the point where you would have a roll for the “Build”

This could have 5 outcomes.

Failure would look like this (see the below screenshot). You can only put two points on Thrust, 3 on hit points, etc) If you do a failure build, you cannot enhance the item by more than 30% (1 box / 10% ). Which basically means you only get 3 boxes.

image.png.1bc6f39609194c43747e2b4fbf8e7e7f.png

Good would mean you have 5 boxes (max 50%)
Great would mean you have 8 boxes (max 80%)
Amazing would mean you have 9 boxes (max 90%)
Extraordinary would mean you have 10 boxes (max 100%)

The number of available white (empty) boxes and the default blue boxes would be determined by the quality of the resources/subcomponents that you use

Each item will have different resource requirement. For example what resource might be good for space engines may be bad for warp cells.

For example for space engines.

Thrust takes Heat Resistance 50%, Cold Resistance 25%, Decay Resistance 25%
Hitpoints takes 50% strength, 50% heat resistance
Warmup takes Heat Resistance 100%

This picture below would be for an extraordinary build with good resources. If you use bad resources, there would be fewer blue boxes and more white.

image.png.faafbdf5737c12f5ba7bc903bf118c66.png

What are the blue boxes? The blue boxes represent how good/bad resources or subcomponents you used, then you will start placing your points from that point. In the above example Thrust starts from 40% so if you put one point, it may go up or down depending on the "enhance" roll (explained in the next paragraph)

The next phase is the

Enhancement phase.

This when you actually start putting points on the stat you want.

The process is simple. Depending on how many points you have, you start placing points. You can either do it point by point, or you can place all your points at once. Rolling the dice point after point could potentially give better endresults than using up all your points and roll the dice once. You can fill as many white boxes as you want, then you hit “Enhance” This would roll the dice once, and it would give you one of the following results

Fail, Good, Great, Amazing, Extraordinary

If you only put 1 point (fill only one white box), then this is how the bar would go up

Fail = The bar would actually go down. You initially started from 40%, but since you failed you would go down to 30%, at the same time the number of white boxes on all stats would go down as well.

Good = The bar would go up by an extra 10%

Great = the bar would go up by an extra 20%

Amazing = the bar would go up by an extra 25% points

Extraordinary = the bar would go up by an extra 30%..which means 3 white boxes would be filled to blue even though you just selected white box.

What determines how many points you could place of these white boxes?

Talents: we would come up with a new talent tree where if you could acquire maximum 10 points
Location: You could acquire +1 additional points depending which planet you are on. For example on Jago you could get 1-1 extra point on space engine assembly/enhancemenet.This would be good because crafters would actually need to fly to different planets to create schematics. This would boost the traffic and eventually would boost PvP

What would drive the rolls?

There are numerous ways you could do that. What I would do is the following

Talents: we would come up with a new talent tree where if you could increase the chances for both assembly/enhancements. It can be the same talen tree as above, but I would come up with a new one.

Location: You could get an additional chance on both depending on which planet you are on.

I would also introduce consumables to increase the chance some extra percentage points. But let’s not go that deep down yet. once you have all the talents and if you are on the right planet you have the following chances

5% fail rate

95% good

50% great,

20% amazing

5% extraordinary

Once you placed all the points, you have three options

·         Cancel

·         Create the item

·         Create the Schematic

Decorations and consumables could have a build/enhance on the quantity.

Edited by laicheeeee

Looks like Dofus' Smithmagic system.

A profession where one progresses only when one manufactures an article (and not in AFK talent).

Depending on its level, you can make certain items or not.

Obtaining stats when crafting the item.

Improvement of the object with runes (on Dual Universe it could be the use of sub component).

May seem random but depending on the talents and actual knowledge of the player the object will always be better than at the start.

Destruction of objects (product for xp the business level, product sold at a loss, item broken, ect ...) to recover sub components.

Repeat the gameplay loop and you have the strongest economy we've seen in an MMO in the past 15 years.

rolling dice ...

remember me to LotRO- looting for hours for crafting 5 rings - with a chance of 47% to get a crit using scrolls and whatnot- and getting ... NONE 

while some lucky bastards made like 4 out of those 5 with the chance of 23% - spending not half of my time

I personally don't like to roll the dice

7 hours ago, Captain Hills said:

rolling dice ...

remember me to LotRO- looting for hours for crafting 5 rings - with a chance of 47% to get a crit using scrolls and whatnot- and getting ... NONE 

while some lucky bastards made like 4 out of those 5 with the chance of 23% - spending not half of my time

that's the only way how you can limit the creation of the highest tier stuff.

14 hours ago, Captain Hills said:

rolling dice ...

Slightly Based on OP idea this is where a reverse engineering aspect could be injected. Putting the time and resources to reverse engineer elements with a chance of getting a higher quality one (more filled boxes) schematic. Getting a game capped element should take a fair bit of time and element destruction to get there tho… craft quality progression ?

On 4/22/2021 at 8:00 AM, laicheeeee said:

Resource Revamp

Decorations and consumables could have a build/enhance on the quantity.

Some really great ideas but if NQ keeps doing stuff like this, it would mean the game would never come out, ever.  It would be a huge development job effecting pretty much every element of the game, especially when it will be something else effecting balance.  NQ need to focus on finish the key missing parts (some sort of territory wars, energy and if we are lucky some sort of player markets) and then spend some solid time fixing and improving the gameplay that is already there (roids, missions, pvp, FTUE and hopefully Salvaging which is now on the roadmap) and then they need to get the game live.

They should not be completely reworking multiple core gameplay elements, that ship sailed a long time ago. 

I do like the concept though, I hope they look at it for potential further development.

This may look awesome in theory, but also adds immense complexity to backend, which quite frankly is the last thing NQ needs atm.  I've seen exactly this kind of system implemented in another french online game from 2003 and let me tell you, browsing maket terminals with so much junk is no fun at all.  In order to work properly, market has to deal in commodities. 

As for use in ships, tokenized ships already inherit placement bonuses of their builders.  Augmenting that side would have technically accomplished just what you are proposing, and sometime much later down the road introduce something like custom tuning mechanic on constructs in some form.  

I  would rather seen limited run schematics with very exotic properities seeded in word that would have could be aquired through research of missions, rather than buying them on market. 

In terms of production specialization, one route to consider that would not have costed all that much developer time would have been efficiency bonuses based on use. 

For example efficiency of your assembler would not only be determined by SP investment in a given area but also by how many final products that given industry units has produced continuously.    I would promote more specialization among producers, say after producing 100 engines on a given unit, that unit would accumulate passive bonus of 1% 

• 5 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, Bazzy_505 said:

This may look awesome in theory, but also adds immense complexity to backend, which quite frankly is the last thing NQ needs atm.  I've seen exactly this kind of system implemented in another french online game from 2003 and let me tell you, browsing maket terminals with so much junk is no fun at all.  In order to work properly, market has to deal in commodities. 

As for use in ships, tokenized ships already inherit placement bonuses of their builders.  Augmenting that side would have technically accomplished just what you are proposing, and sometime much later down the road introduce something like custom tuning mechanic on constructs in some form.  

I  would rather seen limited run schematics with very exotic properities seeded in word that would have could be aquired through research of missions, rather than buying them on market. 

In terms of production specialization, one route to consider that would not have costed all that much developer time would have been efficiency bonuses based on use. 

For example efficiency of your assembler would not only be determined by SP investment in a given area but also by how many final products that given industry units has produced continuously.    I would promote more specialization among producers, say after producing 100 engines on a given unit, that unit would accumulate passive bonus of 1% 

you are right. the effort is mdedium-high, but  the reward is definetely very high as it creates an infinete game experience. It would make crafting very exciting and things would actually gain value.  That's the problem I see with dual universe. There is no infinete content...which means that the game's limit is easily achievable.