Builder's review: Honeycombs - Improvements ideas

Jeronimo

Honeycomb is the Major game content of DU which pretend to let players build what ever we want

But as it is now, it is tooooooo constrained and limited, buggy, and never looking as we wished, specially in between updates where dev dont know which numbers to tweak for better render results

• The resources needed for making honeycomb:

Some honeycombs such as concrete / brick / wood / glass(panels) should require more simple recipes, not requiring mined and refined ores, but raw stone, sand or wood, directly from the planets grounds and trees

Those could be considered as construction material, mostly for static constructs, and their weight should be increased for discouraging players using them on dynamic constructs

• The honeycomb weight:

As for now they are 0.1 times the weight of their relative correspondents on earth

In my opinion the word HONEYCOMB is well chosen, and give this futuristic aspect of a 3D printed honeycomb material

But i think it is still a bit too heavy, since in aerospace, it wouldn't happen to build ships with thicker hull than 5 or 10cm

I also think some honeycombs shouldn't have this weight reduction, or less reduction

For example: concrete * 1 / wood * 0.25 / metals * 0.075

• The diversity issue:

Here is my most hatred part of DU, the numerous amount of different honeycomb colors and finishes

1. nightmare for industry managers
  2. nightmare for players to spawn blueprints, that have dozens of 0.5m3 of different mats
  3. filling hundreds of container and inventory slots (that must be a lot of data in back end, but also lot of data for everyone uploads and downloads on front end)

All refined material should have 1 and only 1 raw honeycomb with a raw aspect, on which we could later apply the color we want and the shininess we want in build mode

• Removal of the "voxel replace tool" => replacement by the "voxel paint tool"

I dont think anyone using this voxel replacement tool at all, it has its equivalent when copy pasting using the select tool

A paint voxel tool could use a popup window, around the bottom of the screen, same as the scanner does for the ores filters. In which we could select our

1. desired custom color from a palette
  2. the shininess we want from matt to glossy
  3. an optional bump map (stripes / screws / holes / galvanized etc...)  

• The finish name "galavanized", change back to matt

Galavanized is an anti rust coating process for iron, using zinc

From PTS server the "galavanized white iron", is the only correct color and aspect (the texture is pretty nice btw)

So :

1. galvanized only applies to iron, certainly not to aluminium, copper and others
  2. iron can be painted aswell with anti rust paint, but galvanized wont be
  3. galvanized is more of a raw finish texture, more than a color or a shininess (which could be added as a bump texture in the paint tool options)

• Textures scale

New textures are gorgeous but they arent scaled properly (official and PTS)

Texture edges blending is also necessary

So Novaquark, if you desire to optimize, reduce lag, reduce loading of containers etc... the diversity issue should be your concern. If you desire to really let players build awesome creation, just unleash the constraints and give us more freedom of choice

We are not paid for testing, and for taking time developing our feedback on the forum after years of testing, so it would be nice to have a better reading of the gold mine for the game development that this forum is (taking notes, and putting them on a big white board is an idea)

After all, WE players are creating the content of the game, but if we dont have at least the few main features of Minecraft, which is gathering wood to make wood, not mining coal to make wood, that aint gonna work

Cheers

Well I do use the voxel replace tool a lot (mainly because the line voxel tool limitations), but I also support a change to just paint tool.

This would potentially allow one color on one side, and another on the other, but I don't actually know how voxel data is stored so I don't know if this would be better?

13 hours ago, Context said:

Well I do use the voxel replace tool a lot (mainly because the line voxel tool limitations), but I also support a change to just paint tool.

isnt using the selection tool, then CTRL + C, then mouse scroll to change the material, then CTRL + V, doing exactly the same?

-I'd have to say keep the replace tool, as it is useful if you find yourself needing to swap entirely between materials on a construct for any reason. 

-A paint tool has been something people have wanted for a very long time, but if one is added it would be far easier (and so get it to us players faster) to have it swap the color of an entire voxel rather than just the color on one surface of that voxel.

-Honeycomb needs to be heavier... by a lot... I can appreciate that it is more or less product-styrofoam, but as is the stuff is so light that ships with meter-thick steel hulls seem perfectly reasonable for atmospheric flight just to accommodate the desire for a particular color and the lazy-ness to not hollow shapes out.

-It would be nice if product honeycomb produced more per batch than pure. It currently takes more work and material, but has slightly lower average stats than pure.

20 hours ago, Jeronimo said:

isnt using the selection tool, then CTRL + C, then mouse scroll to change the material, then CTRL + V, doing exactly the same?

Most of the time it is, but when you remove and place something down again the voxel dominance calculation goes into affect and stuff might warp