Schematics as a PC resource, not from NPCs

CoyoteNZ

I like semantics. My factory got destroyed and is nowhere near what it was prior to 0.23, but I’m ok with that, beta is for game balancing. 

What I don’t  like about schematics is that they are only sourced from NPC bots!

This means their prices are fixed and the player base can’t move it. It means their availability is fixed and the player base can’t influence it. 

How would I fix it?

Tier one refinery schematics are very cheap, or not even required.

After that ALL schematics are player based.

Any construct which has industry running in it will slowly over time generate research points based on how many and what is produced. Producing a warp drive produces more schematic points than producing a litre of pure iron.

You have a research machine. Every now and then, it will take your schematic points, and spit out a random schematic.

How will it decide what schematic you get.

It will look at all the industry in the current construct, and it will give you a schematic that you already have, or one that you don’t have yet, but you are producing everything which is required to make that item.

its random, you don’t get to chose if it spits out a tire one schematic, or if it will save up points for ages and spit out a higher one.

Now you have a new schematic, let the free market begin. Use it to expand your industry, barter it for one you really wanted, or sell it for coin.

Now you can develop your industry without having to buy of NPC bots. You have a PC market for schematics.

suggestions or fine tuning ideas?

Schematics should be created by recycling salvaged T1 XS elements

From there you can research the schematic with a chance to gain knowledge (and a schematic) to created larger versions of the element the input schematic is for.

OR

For subcomponents, you can research the schematic to increase efficiency (same output from less input) or productivity (more output from same input)

OR

For elements, you can research time to produce (less time to completion)

Also, using an analysis/Science station you can invent higher tier component/element schematics from the input blueprint

And, using a duplication station you can create multi run schematics for elements allowing a limited number of runs per schematic

So much gameplay and progression possibilities there.. all it takes is some creative thinking..

I would prefer something new for "R&D" and something Lore related. For example, lore wise we are in the process of remembering things. I think a lot of really basic stuff, like maybe a quarter or a third of all T1 stuff (what we might consider T0 like pipes) is inherent and comes stock free. Other T1 and maybe some T2's are sold by NPC's. The rest has to be uncovered by Talent points. Someone sacrifices remembering how to jump for the details of how to make something. Then, using some new technical element they can begin printing out a schematic, but these would take a good deal of time to print.

Or something?

A research system allowing players to produce BP themselves to then either sell or use would be far superior to the fixed "obtain from bots only" system we are currently using. It would be another play-style people could pursue, and it would make the fact that the prints exist to get people to use the market rather than just building their own private mega-factory feel a bit less forced.

If they do this great but they mined themselves a hole and jumped in it when they released bot schematic sell orders and stated no wipe, will be insanely hard to balance, as soon as players see this on the PTS depending on the balance players will choose whether to stockpile schematics or not......but yes I love the idea of this.