How would you feel about a speed limiter in space?

SpiceRub

How would you feel about a speed limiter in space?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel about a speed limiter?

• Great
    • Horrible
    • Could work

Before we begin, this is with PVP in mind.

As we have it now, we've got Newtonian physics, with a speed scale of 0 - 30,000 kmh an hour. with 30,000 kmh being simulated as "Lightspeed". It's not difficult to get a ship up to speed fast, in fact most ships, combat or not are capable of reaching 30,000 kmh rather quickly. And if you consider 30,000kmh to be "Lightspeed", it seems to be over exaggeratingly fast. Specifically during combat, you've got all these ships traveling at sometimes wildly different speeds and directions, it's one big awkward lightspeed joust, with weapon ranges reaching a stupidly long distance. 

Now with the upcoming energy management, I expect there to be some power limits to just how fast ships will be able to go anymore, IE no more bricks with 40 XL engines. With that in place, I believe that the awkward jousting will get even worse, with less power and ability to adjust. Have seen a lot of negative feedback on this system since beta launch, "You don't even see your target" etc. At high speeds, ships are janky and desync as hell when they're near each other, as many people have witnessed. From close range jousting at high speeds, to frustrated people trying to get close to an unmanned ship while it travels at near max speed on its own.

What I'm bringing forward is an idea to bring engagements and standard travel/operations to a low speed, and introduce a new form of assisted drive for high speed travel.

For instance, a mid sized ship would have a maximum speed of lets say, 2000 km/h in space. These values would be determined by the characteristics of  a ship, especially weight. 

This will very much allow NQ to deal with closer combat ranges and far less high speed desync. 

Now this wouldn't be eliminating the possibility of reaching speeds like 30k again, just that it's a separate function. Alongside the warp drive, a smaller more efficient drive is introduced to help manage a ship reach much higher speeds for long distance travel, can also be determined by ship characteristics. This type of drive may also be affected by warp interdiction, which then again brings engagements closer together. 

I know this may be "immersion breaking" or a big turn off for some, I get it's a cool realistic space game and all but, there are just some things that don't work well with it at all, like combat. 
Referring to DU's combat trailer that came out a while ago, that kind of gameplay is completely impossible in DU as it is now. There's a good reason why a lot of space games put limits on ship speeds.

I think this is a pretty drastic change if it'll ever be considered. So how do you feel about it?

2000km/h? lol, no thx. This game has long distances, so don't limit speed. DU is not a Starbase.

I do not see anything difficult in combat at high speeds.