This new player thoughts after day 10

Goonch

A  perspective of someone newly involved into the game without knowledge of the history, promises made/kept stuff .  Im on day 11 of my 90 day trial, you have 79 more days to deal with me.

a) A scripting guide is a must. What LUA is allowed / what isn't.  Can I make a cube spin? Greeter Bot? Touch, Say in 'local chat',  change color, reset script....etc........ Easy right?

b) Building tools= OK: There is always room for improvement here,  No grids to line up to, no textures that aid in building. Current tool setup feels old and under appreciated

c) Timer Skill Tree = Eve= Bad. There should be zero advantage for older players other than their own knowledge and abilities. I am not going to pay monthly fee's to get a guarantee of being owned by players who have done nothing more than just timer skilled up longer than me.

d) Exploration = unimpressive.  No new member adventures here other than walking around and picking up pretty rocks. How far away of a grind is open space exploration to the average new player? You need things to do, Maybe wrecks to explore, scavenge resource collection, sabotage, covert actions. Right now DU offer a small vehicle to new players, lagged market area's and thousands of hours of meaningless skill timers

e) Economy in DU = unimpressive. Economy is the circulatory system of a game. It is not a closed loop. There is a 'in' and an 'out'. Circulation happens between those in's and out's. I do not see that you can buy Quanta in game for fiat, nor can you sell Quantum in game either. This is important because you are building a game in which player content creation is a major part of, there HAS to be a real circulatory system in which money flows in and out like Oxygen and CO2 in a body. Without this, you will not attract those content creators you need.  Fiat = Quanta and Quanta = Fiat.  Get a conversion rate your satisfied with and go with it, trust in your abilities to make a great game and stake your game on that ability. If you cant do that, why should you develop this game?

I realize Dev isn't building a game for me personally, but generally, I'd like to see a clearer roadmap posted, a sense of more assured direction and actions that lead to improved player content creation that helps DU Dev make a great game environment

This wraps up my first 10 days

c) Timer Skill Tree = Eve= Bad. There should be zero advantage for older players other than their own knowledge and abilities. I am not going to pay monthly fee's to get a guarantee of being owned by players who have done nothing more than just timer skilled up longer than me.

Agree with this a lot -- skills in this style don't measure achievement at all, they measure how long you've been subbed for. That's kind of what it was designed for, though. I'm not a fan of game systems that work like this. 

e) Economy in DU = unimpressive. Economy is the circulatory system of a game. It is not a closed loop. There is a 'in' and an 'out'. Circulation happens between those in's and out's.

Right now, the only way the game 'prints' money is through ore bots and the daily login bonus. With a "no NPC" model, NQ hasn't yet figured out how to fix this without creating deflation...so yeah. 

A lot of your points are long-standing issues that most people would agree need more thought / work. Hope you enjoy your time in DU! 

2 minutes ago, Goonch said:

a) A scripting guide is a must. What LUA is allowed / what isn't.  Can I make a cube spin? Greeter Bot? Touch, Say in 'local chat',  change color, reset script....etc........ Easy right?

From the technical point of view, the API documentation is available in F1

From the Rules point of view. Everything that does not forbidden content (general rules) that is not aimed in griefing players in PVP-free zones is allowed and that does not go against anticheat measures (using external C APIs).

Basically if the aim of your script is to "harm" in some way or another any other player" it is only allowed if used in PVP zones.

I understand that the rules could have more details. And include more examples. But then we would end up with 99 pages of rules....

If you think something is possibly against the rules:

1 - Don't do it. Problem solved.....
2 - If you are really going the other way, ask NQ about it on a support ticket. Those are private, no one except the team will read.
3 - Don't ask anything, break the rules without knowing, get banned.

Interesting Post ! Nice to see new players discussing their thoughts about DU.

1) Scripting !! Although i havent touched that part of the game yet i am interested to do so if i find information on a guide and enrich my constructs . So YES

2) Building tools !! Well it is what it is ... A whole brand new innovative voxel tech that is currently limited in what has to offer . Promising yes . So YES to this too

3) Timer skill plan is something that drives players away at some point ... After some time they feel they left behind and not chasing a master plan. But in the other hand if you were an old player and spend a lot of time in game you would not like someone new player to hope in and just do everything you also can do . This filters in game players that have a plan  versus those who dont . Industry for example you have to do some pre work before you deliver high-end products to the market . this makes sense and sets up the economy driven in DU. So it is a lot more complicated...

4) Mission system incoming ! Asteroids incoming ! New planets and moons incoming ! Just a little patience ... Yes to this

5) Pay to win sucks !!! I personally dont like games that offer this - offer that for a payment , its is rather a digital bazaar rather than an actual game. It could boost DU financial income yes but it will result in a  dead players economy in game as noone will be actually playing and selling stuff . Pay to win exists in DU !!! In form of subs - Just have multiple accounts  

It is a mining and building game mostly and what drives the in game economy should be a result of actions made inside the game ... It says " Player Driven Economy " , it should be that way...

Habitant

Habitants Organization

Pretty new to this also so:

a) Yup, could definitely be better documented. You can get there, but it is more work than it should be. Also things like the Navigator core used in the pilot chair etc seem to be missing.

b) Yup, but I suspect no one will ever be happy here - just my opinion have played more than one voxel game. Make it easier and the voxelmasters will whine.

c) Tbh, that is personal taste (as you say to be fair). Almost all MMOs tend to favor the early adopters in same way and almost always based on time played (or in this case subbed and paying attention often enough to switch skills - huge difference between active training and just accumulating).

d) Definitely - though there is stuff in the works - we shall see. Personally doing industry stuff and playing with scratch building things that fly so that is a grind anyway - especially as I am buying most of my own blueprints.

e) It is a beta - so my economy expectations are not high right now. An economy that effectively generates real cash has some issues, not the least of which is any money that comes out is taxable depending on jurisdiction. Not a thing most companies want to touch with a barge pole. Eve had a good theory (imo) where you could at least buy GTC from other players with in game money and play the game for free - ended up in a position to do that for a couple of years as I was generating more in game income than I had a use for.

Have fun!