DEVBLOG: THE FUTURE OF DU - Part 3 - Discussion Thread

NQ-Naerais

1 hour ago, mkahmvet said:

... the tipping point was losing my main testbed ship to a disconnect, despite an AGG.  That's not fun.  Going through the effort of repairing it did not sound even remotely fun. 

AGGs fall out of the sky sometimes. It’s a beta.

i wouldn’t completely give up on the game though. Maybe come back in six months, or even wait to give it a shot once it reaches release. 

Wish I had one but I’m to broke ?

How will space territories work?

Whats the thought behind pushing atmos TW back in favor of getting space TW sooner?

Safezone asteroids... weren't asteroids going to be the one and only PVP incentive we have until TW comes out? You casually just taken a big chunk of that and thrown it into the safezone as everything else.. come on ;(

• 2 weeks later...

So I've had a long break from playing DU, only thing I've done since the schematics stuff was brought in is log in and claim my free credits and queue up skills. Otherwise just don't have the time or energy to redo my factories with schematics until recently I thought I might put some work into it..... that is until NQ announces you aren't sure what you're doing with schematics. And there is no mention of power management mechanics either which is a shame.

I don't enjoy grinding for low tier ore, high tier ore is ok. So the mining units for owned territories at the very least for the basic tier ores would be great. Asteroid mining is another great mechanic though using the current planet mining tech for it doesn't make much sense to me but I guess we'll see what comes from that.

Space territories? I really hope this is well thought out because that will kill hauling and trading industry. What we can't fly through space because someone has a claim to it? Not very clear on that at all, can you please provide some further clarifications on this matter?

On 4/20/2021 at 11:20 PM, CoyoteNZ said:

AGGs fall out of the sky sometimes. It’s a beta.

Well you would expect a bug that is there for almost two years to be atleast fixed as it is kinda gamebreaking for the individual who's AGG fails due to the bug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, first it is good to see that you acknowledge mistakes/problems/issues and work on fixing them. 
Before, I found these parts of the game:

mining - not enjoyable

flying - fun

crafting (with machines) - not quite fun, but pleasent enought distraction from mining.

building (ships) - kind of hard to build good looking ship that works well, but that is the way it should be. Not something I could to for long.

pvp - never got to it.

programing - never got to it (wanted to get to later on)

playing with people - most of the activities didnt seem like something made with being-done-as-a-group in mind.

After the schematic thingy, suddenly large part of the game was paywalled off (with ingame money, but still something our small org. couldnt deal with) So we stopped playing.

To me it seems like the schematicks should never have been needed for basic recipies. 

While yes, that system will need rework, I think removing schematics for basic (1st tier) items and parts and making the uncommon ones reasonably cheap, while buffing the more advaced ones would be a “quick” fix. 
Maybe formula of +10% for each (positive) stat of the item (like engine) with +30% for its specialization    for each “rarity tier” could be something to go of.

• 2 weeks later...

The longer they go without doing something dramatic, the less faith I have they will turn this game around.  Sad, it was fun for the first 3 years or so - until 0.23.  Now we get partial implementation of patch releases and promises they will be looking at docking someday.

I was hoping the JC change would bring NQ organizational approach changes, but that hope is fading fast.

2 hours ago, FrigoPorco said:

I'll say it again....THIS GAME NEEDS PvE...DESPERATELY! PvP has failed. Now it's a resource gathering/building game. PvE is badly needed!

They need to fix the combat engine first. PvE would be just as painful under the current system.

A recent post believes the problem is keeping up to date with the damage caused to the voxels. 

Maybe they need to 

- limit (more) the guns per seat

- dramatically slow down fire rates

- shields, less voxel damage, just a strength reduction 

to help?

• 4 weeks later...

When are you planning to work on the gigantic lag issues?  The new visuals brought in even more lag.

Can we expect DU to have No lag in the near future and what will be the path forward on this matter?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 8:19 AM, Aaron Cain said:

When are you planning to work on the gigantic lag issues?  The new visuals brought in even more lag.

Can we expect DU to have No lag in the near future and what will be the path forward on this matter?

What we have been hearing for 3 years is "Its alpha/beta - we are testing functionality.  Performance will be address later".  e.g.  We hope to attract people with features and hope-to-God we can address performance some day.  Bottom line:  Sloppy code === Sloppy code.  Yeah, they could have some debugging features enables that could be tuned down - at least that was the hope back when we generated a GB of logs an hour.

I waiting, knowing it may never happen, for a wipe and a backing off of schematics as they currently exist.  I'd at least like the illusion that a solo player can have a meaningful experience in the game.

Sorry, but a vision of spending a few years to become the universes best Advanced LED manufacturer is not exciting to me.

12 hours ago, Wargearer said:

i dont care about asteroids or gas clouds ,i looking for good automining sistems becouse wright now im tired from mining by hand 24/7 most  all people from my group giving up becouse of that stupid gameplay

I think mining shouldn't be replaced. Adding autominers for base supply ok, If ppl need more and don't like mining then they should buy ore on the market. Mining should be modified. This meganode craziness should end. They could add ore vein quality and density. Then there would be no more need for (8hours of) mining 2,6 million liters, at the same time fucking up the serverload. That will also if at all be partially solved by asteroids. Also diversify the mining experience. Vein placement, improvable Tools. But I guess that if even considered is far ahead. To many basic things still kiss/don't work.

1 hour ago, Aaron Cain said:

Just need the promised dynamic cores that were going to be over a km.

Frigates in real-life are warships that are built with endurance of 30 ~ 50 days (without replenishment) for deep-water (offshore) patrolling, hence their bigger size of 350 ~ 450 feet compare to a corvette. A dynamic construct that is over a kilometer in length is 10 times longer than a frigate in real-life! Suppose we build a frigate in this game the size of a frigate in real-life, what is the point of it's size if we barely even have any requirement for such capacity? In this game, we see only a maximum of around 4 people travelling on a large core ship! A frigate the size of real-life is already too big for only 4 people that doesn't need any accommodation at all, even more 10x of that size! If you are gonna make something big, there has to be a requirement for such capacity, and in this game, there is little requirement! The sh*t that we build are too big for their use! One person in this game built a 75-story building when just a unit in it is good enough for him! What is the use? It just looks abandoned to me! You are building something that has too much capacity for the requirement!

We are too ambitious and the game is too ambitious! You gonna limit the game, because at this point, it is just unrealistic! A 1 km (1000 meter) ship? For what? You are thinking too big! You will struggle designing that ship as there is barely any requirement in the game! Modern frigates in real-life can complement a crew of between 110 ~ 150 at endurance of 30 to 50 days without replenishment, hence the size of the ship. And you want what? 10x the size of this?

It's time we be a little more realistic!

You see how people in this game think? They want the Beijing Daxing International Airport, a single terminal airport with annual capacity of 75 million passengers. If you can predict that you will eventually run out of capacity in the coming future due to projected increase of demand, that is when you build another terminal and/or runway (this is called "airport expansion"). A terminal like that with 7 runways is designed to handle 75 million passengers annually and we don't have a demand in this game that come even close to that! So why would you build something that big when there is no requirement? Stop thinking too big and think realistically!

My proposal is you keep these big cores (just so the possibilities are there), but you add liability mechanics to them. If they are being used economically, then that is an indication that it is an asset, otherwise it's a liability. There is an economics to it! You gonna nerf these big cores big!

The reason why we are not being economical at all is the game lacks a properly balanced liability mechanics! This guy wants a 1 km ship: you know how much of a liability that is in real-life? He will consider this if the liability is right there.

5 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

@Pleione well I am still looking for people to build the first dynamic space city so your always free to help. Just need the promised dynamic cores that were going to be over a km.

I'm sitting on my now useless Large Space core - which had a fully functional manufacturing plant capable of making Warp Beacons and keeping my mining cargo transports full of warp cells.  Its 98% idle now because of schematics and the layering of manufacturing levels.  I was two days away from my first warp beacon going into the oven.  After 0.23, it was going to cost me 840M just for the schematic to make that happen.  Haven't really played since, although I check in occasionally.  Still have 688 days of skills in the queue.

7 hours ago, Eternal said:

You will struggle designing that ship as there is barely any requirement in the game!

Nah, there is no struggle, at the moment i have the ship already build in SE at about 2 km and indeed, there might be no need for it but if we plan a mmo of DU then building all these (for majority of ships) soloplayer ships, and yes a large core ship can still be solo played, will never get us to the mater of collaboration needed. And i do agree with a lot of your points, but i believe that thinking small (in core sizes) will never get us there. nothing wrong with small ships but startrek and starwars would never be this big if they only flew shuttles. SE is a good example, smallgrit ships are perfectly fit to do anything in SE still most players build either large bases or large ships, although not needed.

6 hours ago, Eternal said:

""So why would you build something that big when there is no requirement? Stop thinking too big and think realistically!""

""This guy wants a 1 km ship: you know how much of a liability that is in real-life? He will consider this if the liability is right there.""

Yep true, but thats why some of us play games like DU, just to DU it. My initial plan was even bigger then the 1 km vessel and at that point it was realistic with the DU predictions at that time. After a few sets of limitations a citysize ship is less usefull and the idea of having a dynamic city is less likely to occur but still im planning to build it. Why? just because, Its the same as why people raid FF14 or Aion every day till 3 there is no real gain, But why not. Setting realistic targets is for game development, for the players its just Go wild, go wilder and Yes please fail miserably, but you have tried. Is it economical insane to build it? Yes it is, but no pain, no gain.

with the current DU prognoses i expect the city ship to be finished in 2030 but it will fly a lot earlier

I originally wanted to make a "Stargate Universe" class ship - something that might take a month to fly to a new star system, but had everything on it needed to build a stargate to that system.  Of course, that goal had to change:

1st they disabled industry on dynamic cores - ok, can still build a huge cargo ship that could then setup shop on a space station, having the basics with it.

Then they pushed "Galaxy" out from 1st half 2020 to "post production"

Finally they added schematics, which could only be bought at bots.  The cost of those schematics shut me down.